mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Just some opinions please

I bought a 2001 specialized hardrock about a month ago. Its in decent shape and I have bought a ritchey bar and stem package for it so far. I was just wondering. I just came into some extra funds. Should I continue to put money into my 150.00 bike? Or look into something like a 29er from bikes direct? I would have about 500.00 to spend. And I figured I can either A. buy nice new wheels for the hardrock and maybe a front sprocket set or just buy something like the motobecane fantom 29er? The only reason is I have heard that 26 incers our going to be hard to get some parts for soon. Im not attached to the hardrock yet because of my schedule Ive only got about 50 miles on it so far. The front derailleur is a little jacked I think because if I am switching gears it will get that clickicking/chattering sound and ill have to play with the grip shifter until it finaly quiets down and finds a gear. Im not great with messing with derailleurs. I even considered in waiting a month or so and getting something like one of the airbornes I see everyone recommend. I want a hardtail im not quite sure I would want a full suspension bike yet. I ride more paved then dirt. Any suggestions and other bikes I could look at in that 500-600 or should I fix up the old hard rock with the parts I mentioned?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Sounds like you want a new 29er?

I would keep the hardrock going. Take it to the bike shop get the fd tuned.
    And imo 26inch wheels (& parts ) will still be around for a few years yet. There are millions of 26 inch wheels rolling around, so companies will still make parts/ tyres for em.
    Good luck

mtbr member
    IMO I'd ride what you have, get it tuned up to fix that derailleur problem, fix stuff as it breaks as cheaply as possible (by getting eBay used parts), and save up. The bang for buck between a $500 bike and a $1,000 bike is HUGE, especially with the drivetrain components. Stuff lasts exponentially longer and stays in tune much better at that threshold.

26er stuff will be around for a while. Don't worry about that. They won't run out in the year or two (at most, hopefully) it will take you to save up for a longer-term bike.

If you want a 29er, the one bit of planning I'd do is to save up for hand-built clyde-capable wheels when you buy new. The wheels of any store-bought will be the weak point, so you should factor in that extra cost when you get a new bike.

I did that - kept a crappy beater for a while before I saved up to splurge on the first real bike - and was glad that I did.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I don't know what model the hardrock is but its got mostly shimano stuff on it. It rides good and I thought of upgrading the rims on it reguardless. Ive been looking at the Sun double wall stuff. Im sure they will be plenty strong. The bike wont be jumped accept maybe off a curb. Maybe some rhynolites or something like that. Ive searched around for rear cassettes if I do get new rims. Im a bit confused do I search for another shimano product? Or will another bradn work? What about teeth count or are they pretty universal? Sorry so many questions. Just real curious and anxious to get a good smooth runnin bike.

mtbr member
    Rear cassettes are mostly universal if you stay with the same number of gears. Ie 8 speed, 9speed. Usually need a new chain if cassette is worn out. Would not buy 26" wheels if ur thinking of buying a 29er later. Get nice wheels and transfer to a new bike if its the same size. Follow the manufactor's suggestions on weight limit for their wheels.