mtbr member
    Jun 2009

just got my Gary Fisher Hi-fi, what am i going to need to upgrade

hey guys, i ended up getting a gary fisher Hi-Fi.

I am pushing 6'4" and hovering around 300lbs

Just wondering what i should be looking out for to upgrade on this bike that will hoss proof it, i have just had it on the road so far, but wednesday i will be hitting some trails.

I am already thinking i am going to upgrade the shifting system, but thats not to hoss proof i would just prefer smoother shifting, i will be getting it adjusted to see if i really need upgraded shifting

mtbr member
    Not knowing anything about the bike the first thing I might worry about are the wheels. Other than that just ride it and replace stuff as it breaks. My old bike the brakes sucked and the fork sucked and the front derailleur went to hell but other than that no problems at 300 pounds. I upgraded to a Specialized Rockhopper 29er and so far so good and I don't plan to upgrade anything until stuff breaks except maybe some new brake levers and next year a new fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    well i got a service plan that covers all parts except rubber just an FYI

here is the link for the bike http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/hifi

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerjon7
    well i got a service plan that covers all parts except rubber just an FYI

here is the link for the bike http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/hifi
    sounds like you don't need upgrades then since all parts are covered- other than personal preferences (i.e. tires, seat, etc.). if something breaks then once the lbs replaces it, maybe pay the difference for an upgrade.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    Fishers ar meant for sub 200# riders IMHO.

I have owned 3, but never another.

That being said, What you roll on should absoultely be the first thing to upgrade, Sell those wheels for something burlier, and also ditch the Bontrager tires. Unless you expect to stay on pavement then tend to shred easily due to the paper thin sidewalls on most models I have seen/run.

But, good move on the service plan. I agree with Eric Z, run what you've got, break it, and replace as needed.

mtbr member
    i'm 260# and i ride a Hi-Fi Deluxe ('08 model). first, get rid of those tires, nothing to do with weight, they just plain suck. my wheels have held up pretty well, but if i had the money i'd upgrade them to something burlier, i have to have mine trued every couple of months. also keep a close eye on the crank. that will probably be the next upgrade on mine (need something beefier). now, go have fun, great bike.
    2011 Niner EMD
    Wounds Heal, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts FOREVER!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm around the 250# mark and have been riding a Hi-Fi Deluxe ('07 model) until chainstay broke (as per all the other posts - riding style - low & slow), frame replaced for HiFi Pro '09 model, which I'm now really loving (well even more so, than '07 version, which was great).
    Suggested upgrades; Tires (definitely), Handlebar Grips (larger diameter, lock-on type), Saddle (after surgically removing the stock Bontrager one first).
    Enjoy the ride.