Thread: Jacket

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Jacket

I was wondering what you guys are using for jackets. I am looking for a jacket that is waterproof, light ,and breathable. and to use in side the camping pack for just incase rain. any suggestions?

Former Bike Wrench
    Depends what use you want it for. For camping I use Cabela's gear since it comes in Big and Tall sizes (I'm not real big but I'm built like an orangutan so tall sizes for tops is needed). If your talking a riding jacket that is shorter in the front and longer in the rear, then Aerotech makes great Big and Tall jackets.

BTW-waterproof and breathable is a myth, nothing that is waterproof with breath worth a crap for activities beyond a casual walk. Look for ventilation options in a jacket.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks.. well just looking for a riding jacket that I can have for double duty. like going for a walk in the woods or on a trail or biking or fishing. for just those morments where it gets a little too wet.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by trdspectacoma View Post
    Thanks.. well just looking for a riding jacket that I can have for double duty. like going for a walk in the woods or on a trail or biking or fishing. for just those morments where it gets a little too wet.
    Plenty ride with regular jackets, they just tend to bunch up in the front if you get them long enough to cover your arse...or they don't cover your arse if you get them short enough to not bunch up in the front.

That's why bicycle specific jackets are best for riding as they provide both

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    MEC has a few nice ones.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    LL Bean has some tall stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    showers pass makes a really nice rain jacket for riding.. they have several models and they are sized big. ( I'm 5'11 240lbs.. with 50" chest and I wear a XL, where normally I wear a XXL in everything else ).

Showers Pass Touring Jacket at BikeTiresDirect
    ( this is the touring jacket model ).

The shower's pass stuff is made for riding: the back bottom flips out to cover your ass on the seat. also the cuffs are narrow so you don't have alot of access material flapping around.

Only negative is you have to buy a head cover ala carte for about $20 more --- it fits under your helmet.