Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

I've destroyed every hub i ever had! Now with pics.

Hi I'm 120kg (260lbs) and am pretty hard on gear. Just wrecked yet another hope freewheel and am looking for something more heavy duty. Don't want to get Hadley's, or hope's again. Should I fork out the huge bucks for CK's? What are saints like for the heavier gent?
    Last edited by markymark; 09-06-2007 at 03:39 PM.

Underskilled
    Saints are supposed to be the DB especially if you get the 20mm axel.
    There are a few versions some require special frame to fit.
    I don' know anything about the Chris King's but the Saints are supposed to be good.
    note there are a lot of different versions of the saint hub some strong but compatible, some indetructable but might need other components swapping to get it to fit.

NMBP
    I'm not as heavy as you, but I've had good luck with DT Swiss 440 hubs. 20mm in the front and 10mm bolt thru axle in the back. I've got almost 2 years on mine with no problems whatsoever.

conjoinicorned
    Should I fork out the huge bucks for CK's?
    absolutely you should!!!

CK has the best warranty around, if you do break them (which i can't see happening) they will take good care of you. get the HD version.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    I've had problems with broken spokes and slipping hubs for years on various wheelsets. Finally decided to pony up the cash for Chris Kings on Mavic 823 UST rims and I could not be happier. The instant engagement alone is worth it when you're going through rocks or roots and need to ratchet the pedals. They look beautiful, sound great, and work perfectly... hallelujah!! I got the heavy-duty stainless rear hub with the 10 mm Funbolts, which is better for us heavy folks. I highly recommend Colorado Cyclist, they had the best price ($744 total, shipped, for mine, and keep in mind the heavy-duty rear adds to the cost when comparison shopping) and they have always been a great mail order shop for me.
    "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -- Calvin & Hobbes

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    What are you breaking, the drive-mech or the hub/axle?

I also went to a CK hub back in 2001 after spewing parts for multiple XT freehub bodies all over the trail (four hub bodies in eight weeks, eeek). Got the HD axle and steel driveshell assembly and have put happily over 10k miles on the hub so far (it's still going strong).

Only thing that has needed replacement on it was the c-ring bearing preload locking. $40 part. Woo. That was last year. Can't complain.

If you do go with CK, be danged sure you pay attention to the hub for the first few months of regular rides.

The bearings wear in and you need to tighten the preload regularly (I checked it before every ride, and during ride on longer ones) to prevent any wallowing anywhere.

With the HD axles this can take almost 30 seconds. It does not require removal of the wheel from the bike as the bearing preload is completely independent from the mounting in the frame or fork.

Depending what and how you ride it can take a little while for the system to completely settle in, but once it does it's good.

I had a heavier friend not pay attention to his and nearly destroyed the rear hub. Ended up sending the hub back to CK where they milled it out and put in custom oversize bearings. Been fine ever since. I do *not* think that was necessary, it was completely his fault for not maintaining his hardware.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Yes, it's the drive mechanism I keep destroying, my hope freehubs are lasting only a few months each when ridden everyday.

Ok, so chris king it is, I'd better start racking up the overtime at work

mtbr member
    correction, I just took my back wheel off the bike and the whole cluster and freewheel fell off, the pawls fell out and went everywhere. The axle is snapped in half and I can't get it out, aaarrgh!

clyde -1 hub - 0

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    mm, that's one good hub 'splosion!

( bummer though, I hate having the bike "down" waiting on parts )

mtbr member
    yeah, waiting for parts is a bummer. But also a bit like waiting for christmas

finally got the rest of the axle out this morning.

Here's some pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Have you contacted Hope about these problems you are having? Most seem to recommend them and I was curious as to if you have used their customer service. Also, which Hope hubs are you using the XC, Pro II, or the Bulbs?

mtbr member
    Are those Pro II's??? I was in the process of having a wheelset built on Pro II's. 2nd recommendation was DT Swiss.

banned
    Pro II's are great hubs, but I don't recommend them to persons about 240-250 and above. I've been fine with mine for over a year now, loaded with equipment pushing 280 including the bike.

For clydes, and heavier riders with more impacting pedaling styles, I recommend DT's. I have both types and this is the order I go in with them.

mtbr member
    Mine are XC's, and I probably wouldn't recommend them to anyone trawling this forum The hope skewers must be good though as mine held this hub together for a few big rides now that I think about it. I'm sure the pro II's are much better witht the fatter axle etc.

I'm definitly going with a solid through axle in my new rear hub. I think the axle has been flexing on the inside of the hub and rubbing the inner race of the drive side bearing. You can see in the top pic the axle has sheared off below the freewheel at the width of the bearing.

Not going to bother with customer service as I'm in Oz and they are in the UK.
    Last edited by markymark; 09-06-2007 at 10:22 PM.

Master of None
    I have Syncros FR hubs on my bike, they are built strong! I have the 10mm axle. May be worth a look for you.
    http://www.syncros.com/hubs.htm

Underskilled
    I don't find waiting for components from Hope hard at all. I get on my bike cycle 5miles to their factory with cash in one pocket and talk to the first member of staff I see, it gets you a good discount too =-)

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Pro II's are great hubs, but I don't recommend them to persons about 240-250 and above. I've been fine with mine for over a year now, loaded with equipment pushing 280 including the bike.

For clydes, and heavier riders with more impacting pedaling styles, I recommend DT's. I have both types and this is the order I go in with them.
    Mine have been fine also (@260 lbs), but my next set will def be DT 440's.

mtbr member
    yes I think for the over 250lbs type, who tends to break stuff, it basically boils down to:

the DT 440 with the 10mm through bolt

or the CK HD with 19.5mm solid axle:

10mm vs 19.5mm - I'm definitely getting a CK, now how to get away with it. If the wife finds out how much it cost I'm dead.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    Mine have been fine also (@260 lbs), but my next set will def be DT 440's.
    I still recommend a periodic inspection. Look for hairline cracks, "crushing", or other damage and signs of impending failure.

I also recommend a thin layer of viscous lube or thicker layer of thinner, slicker lube because soemtimes the lube can prevent the pawls from fully digging into the ratchet ring, a problem that can be magnified with a clyde.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by markymark
    10mm vs 19.5mm - I'm definitely getting a CK, now how to get away with it. If the wife finds out how much it cost I'm dead.
    - 500.- for one CK rear hub
    - saves x000.- (+) for one E.R. visit

That's how my wife looks at it.

Slow climbin' clyde
    Oct 2006
    255 down from 298 and I'll never ride anything but CK again.
    “Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.” - H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    - 500.- for one CK rear hub
    - saves x000.- (+) for one E.R. visit

That's how my wife looks at it.
    well the E.R. is free here in Australia for the time being, but the threat of me sitting around the house for months with broken bones could work . Broke my collarbone badly last year and drove her nuts.

Look mom no hands....\m/
    Hadley.
    made in USA
    PERIOD
    [SIZE="3"]"So not to be hatin' on them or anything but it's not ALL sunny skies and handjobs."
    Hot Butter:
    [/SIZE]

Underskilled
    Quote Originally Posted by =[Ezekiel]=
    Hadley.
    made in USA
    PERIOD
    Sorry this statement is lost on me, are you insinuating it has been made with half-arsed effort and designed for a population with a significantly higher average weight?

'spose I like Hope for a similar reason, Based in the middle of the dales, therefore optimised for people who drink beer and eat pies. Anyone else noticed that even the clicking sound from a Hope hub sounds great?

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    Sorry this statement is lost on me, are you insinuating it has been made with half-arsed effort and designed for a population with a significantly higher average weight?

'spose I like Hope for a similar reason, Based in the middle of the dales, therefore optimised for people who drink beer and eat pies. Anyone else noticed that even the clicking sound from a Hope hub sounds great?
    Brilliant response!

'Nuff said (and yes, irony is implied )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast