mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Its time for a new bottom bracket

Well, my Giant XTC 1 is three years old and i am no starting to get the very pleasant sounds of my BB going out. I hover around 305 lbs. and I would like to replace with an upgrade. I enjoy riding all mountain so i donít want a big heavy chunk of steel. I just canít seem to figure out what that will be.. Looking at $75 and under. Anyway, all advice and opinions is needed on helping me decide..
    Thank you,

Former Bike Wrench
    It would be a considerable amount of help if we knew what Crankset and BB type you have

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ok if giving out that info helps in recommending a brand, then here his the info..

cranks TruVative 5D 3.1, 22/32/42T

bb TruVativ Powerspline

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by filterthis View Post
    ok if giving out that info helps in recommending a brand, then here his the info..

cranks TruVative 5D 3.1, 22/32/42T

bb TruVativ Powerspline
    You have no options, Powerspline is proprietary to Truvativ. I would recommend replacing the entire crankset with a new two piece crankset with external bearings. The LX cranksets at Jenson USA are an exceptional deal at $89

turtles make me hot
    I agree with mtnbiker72. Go to the LX crankset. When you ruin the bearings that come with it, and you will, get a Chris King bottom bracket. Best money I've spent on my bike so far.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks guys

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Bottom bracket advice

Hey guys,
    I'd start a new thread but the forum won't let me since I'm a new member. I'm a clydesdale and tend to be pretty hard on bottom brackets. My stock bottom bracket in my 2006 K2 Zed 2.0 hardtail is creaking and complaining. Specs on the BB from K2 is that it's a tapered square 68 x 113 bottom bracket made by Truvativ. I'd like some advice on a clydesdale worthy (5'8" 240lbs) bottom bracket. I have the following priorities

- Lower cost is better
    - durable enough to endure my XC and singletrack climbs
    - ideally not requiring me to change out my crankset

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The crankset by the way is a SR Suntour XCC-250, 22/32/42T

turtles make me hot
    I had good luck with Shimano XT square taper bottom brackets for years. I believe the new outboard bearing sets are more Clyde worthy, but you're lookin' at a whole new crankset as well. If I were you; I'd do what I said above... Get the LX crankset on sale and when the factory bb wears out, get a CK or Enduro or something equally good.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by objecttothis View Post
    Hey guys,
    I'd start a new thread but the forum won't let me since I'm a new member. I'm a clydesdale and tend to be pretty hard on bottom brackets. My stock bottom bracket in my 2006 K2 Zed 2.0 hardtail is creaking and complaining. Specs on the BB from K2 is that it's a tapered square 68 x 113 bottom bracket made by Truvativ. I'd like some advice on a clydesdale worthy (5'8" 240lbs) bottom bracket. I have the following priorities

- Lower cost is better
    - durable enough to endure my XC and singletrack climbs
    - ideally not requiring me to change out my crankset
    Compass Bicycles - SKF Bottom Brackets
    Go SKF. 65000 mile warranty that includes the bearings. If you manage to break one it'd probably be a first. If you ever upgrade the bike just move the BB to the new one.

psycho cyclo addict
    +1 for the LX crankset and BB. I manged to snag two sets of them @$59 each last year on sale during winter. I don't detect any flexyness and quite durable so far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dualpivot View Post
    Compass Bicycles - SKF Bottom Brackets[/url]
    Go SKF. 65000 mile warranty that includes the bearings. If you manage to break one it'd probably be a first. If you ever upgrade the bike just move the BB to the new one.
    This looks like a solid BB but it only meets one of my priorities which means that not only is it twice as much as a lot of these other BB's but it would require me to replace my crankset as well.

no, I'm not riding SS
    I just killed my stock XT bottom bracket (XT M770 crank set) and replaced it with a Wheels Manufacturing BB . It is soooooo smooth, and for $35 bucks it was a deal. THe one issue is with that the external bearing housing is a bit thicker than the XT housing and thus does not require spacers if you have a 73mm shell. This is good, but bad if you want to modify your chainline (like me).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dualpivot View Post
    Compass Bicycles - SKF Bottom Brackets
    Good advice but IMO kinda silly to recommend a $130 bottom bracket for $30 cranks.

Most bike shops will keep standard Shimano UN54 bottom brackets in stock in common lengths. They're normally around $25. Drop the cartridge in, ride it for a few thousand miles and replace.

If your stock bottom bracket is looseball, clean it out, repack the bearings, put it back together and ride!

I'm Slow
    Yeah I'd go for a crank with external bearings, very Clyde friendly.
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.