BHE
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Info needed on a XL GT Zaskar

Will this bike work a for Me.XL GT Zaskar I am 6'2 350. and very active, I use to ride alot as a bike Cop but have been off a bike for about 8 years, I want to get bak into riding basicly to and from work and maybe a some small trail rides. I located this bike and it fits my budget for now, will it work. it is a early 90's model. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I had a GT Zaskar from the early 90s while I was in college. The bike was bullet-proof. I loved that bike. Too bad it was stolen.

That said, it's hard to say how a ~20 year old bike with hold up. Part of that will depend on the parts (level, age, etc.) and how it has been treated.

Maybe take it to a LBC and have them do a once over before buying? I've never done this on a bike, but it works for cars.

Good luck!
    2010 GF X-Caliber
    2010 Trek 2.3
    1997 Ventana ECDM (tandem)
    1996 Mantis Pro Floater

el-santito
    For a bike that old... I would check the weld joints and stress points on the body to make sure it's up to par. In regards to components, anything in the middle ground will be better than the top of the line at the time the bike was sold. You can always replace/install any new/used component... but once the frame breaks not even the most experienced welder can bring it back to original specs.

The most related problems I have read on these frames are related to broken seat tubes (top part). But this is because the seat post was not inserted enought, and in time it caused great stress in the upper part of the seat tube.

I recently built up a '96 Zaskar, and I tell you... it's a very nice bike to ride, if only I can find the correct saddle!

hope this helps you...
    Last edited by elsantito; 04-12-2011 at 12:40 AM.
    Going down hill is easier...