mtbr member

Im thinking of a cheap bike for work

I am 300lbs have a Specialized Rockhopper comp disc 09 which I dont want to leave outside work during the day!

i am thinking about http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec001472 a Specialized Centrum sport.

Is this any good or are there any other sudgestions around 250 (uk money).

Thanks
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc 2009
    Giant CRS 3.0 2009

mtbr member
    No one have any opinions on that bike for work? Or any other sudgestions?
    Giant CRS 3.0 2009

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Are you in Europe?
    i have more than you.
    ...because i have me and you.

zarr

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    ya bristol is in the UK... hence the British pound for money...

I'm in the same situation... I built a bike up around being a good road/commuter bike (my redline 29er) in hopes that when I finally found a job I'd be able to commute... now that I found a job they won't let me stash the bike in a safe place... it stays outside on the rack...

so I bought this...

it's a '1988 GT avalanche (1st year of the GT triple triangle)... got it for $50... almost feel bad using it as a commuter... i'll be tossing a few inexpensive things on it along with a full tuneup and she'll rock I pick it up tommarow (friend a few towns away picked it up for me and I've gota meet up with him)

i think the biggest thing for a commuter bike is a good lock... and the uglier it is the better... make it so no one would even want to take it...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson

I'm in the same situation... I built a bike up around being a good road/commuter bike (my redline 29er) in hopes that when I finally found a job I'd be able to commute... now that I found a job they won't let me stash the bike in a safe place... it stays outside on the rack...

so I bought this...

it's a '1988 GT avalanche (1st year of the GT triple triangle)... got it for $50... almost feel bad using it as a commuter... i'll be tossing a few inexpensive things on it along with a full tuneup and she'll rock I pick it up tommarow (friend a few towns away picked it up for me and I've gota meet up with him)

i think the biggest thing for a commuter bike is a good lock... and the uglier it is the better... make it so no one would even want to take it...
    Nice find! I ran some Scott bars similar to that when I retired my trusty (and beloved) vintage 1988 Diamondback Apex and converted it into an urban assault commuter. Wow, I miss that thing... and to think, it wasn't even a 29er.

In terms of finding an inexpensive commuter, an old steel-framed MTB is hard to beat, but easy to find on Craigslist... as long as you know what you're looking at.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

so I bought this...

Nice bike Don. Reminds me of my first bike- a 1995 GT Timberline. Still got it & ride it. Get a good lock for a good bike. OP- I remember seeing some rigid Treks in What Mountain Bike mag & Speciallized as well not offered in the states. You may have a better selection of rigid/commuter bikes than us in the U.S. . You could try to post a thread in the new Europe forum.
    i have more than you.
    ...because i have me and you.

zarr

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    haha I looked at the bristol craigslist... i'd have recommended it except i saw all of 1 bike... if you have a place to find used good i'd take a look at an older used MTB... rigid is ideal IMHO... but an old MTB with some slick tires will make a good commuter
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    haha I looked at the bristol craigslist... i'd have recommended it except i saw all of 1 bike...
    Yeah, my bad on the CL suggestion - I didn't properly take the UK location in to consideration. Aside from the poor showing on CL, I wonder what the used bike market is like in the UK, anyhow?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply's I have been looking on Bristol Gumtree http://bristol.gumtree.com/bristol/b...le_2659_1.html this is like CL and I have been looking on Trade It http://www.trade-it.co.uk/category/f...uth-west-avon/ , but I really need a 17" frame and these dont seem to come up often, thats why I was thinking of the Specilzed I linked in my first post.
    Giant CRS 3.0 2009

mtbr member
    In the end I went for a Giant CRS 3.0 got 50 off the price from my LBS on a 2009 model!

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/1027884/Giant-CRS-3-0.html
    Giant CRS 3.0 2009

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    looks like a nice commuter man... have fun riding to work ... i need a few tidbits on mine before i can do that still
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Thanks donalson I'm looking forward to picking it up next weekend, I tried it out and rode one but needed a slightly different frame size.
    Giant CRS 3.0 2009