Underskilled

I'm not sure what I want, apart from advice, I want lots of that

Hi,

I am happy to find there is a forum who caters for the rider over 8st.

I currently ride a Voodoo Bantu with a 20.5" frame which i believe is limiting me, I feel very unballanced when cycling and I think it's due to the frame size.

What size bike should I be riding (XC/AM) as I'm 6'7 and approx 240lb.

Also what frames are out there?

My bike is on average having a component fail every serious ride, it's getting expensive.
    So Looking to start again, but not sure how much cash I will need, so the forum is open people what recomendations are there?

I ride a HT now but am maybee considering a FS, for fun andto reduce a bit of stress on the components.

Thanks,

PEter

p.s. I live in York, anyone know any nearby shops that have big bikes to try?

Underskilled
    Forgot to add, I like the sound of 29" and Scandium is a fram material of preference.

Probably drunk right now

What's your budget?

A lot of the advice you're asking for is based on your budget. Yes, 29" sounds like the right bike for you. Based on your freakish proportions, a custom bike will likely fit you best. It's hard to find a stock frame for a person that falls above (or below) normal heights.

Your current bike sounds way too small for you.

Making fat cool since '71
    A 29" wheel scandium FS bike for a 6'7" person is going to cost you...lots and lots.

Going FS will not necesarrily make things easier on components, just fwiw.

Like Ken in KC asks, what's the budget and other than scandium and fs what do you want? What's your inseam (real inseam, not pants size, etc).

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You really dont say what State or Country you live in, but I am going to assume you live in York PA which is where I live.

I personaly got my bike from Gung Ho Bikes they are located right off of Rt. 30 and Susquhanna Trail http://www.gunghobikes.com/home.htm . Another good shop in the area is Adventure Cycle, they are located off Rt.30 also http://adventure-cycling.com/

I dont have your heigth (6'2"), but Gung Ho ordered in exactly what I was looking for in size.

My best suggestion is to go to a shop and just talk with some people. I have yet to meet a high pressure bike sales man, not saying they are not out there I just havent met one.

Big Test Icycles
    Judging from his weight description of 8st (stone), I'm putting money on you being from the UK. I'm 6' and weigh 230 and have put plenty of miles on my Kona Stinky Dee-Lux. Kona makes real burley bikes for jump parks and free ride stuff. I came across a guy in Portland Or riding a Coiler, he was 6'5" and judging by his size I would have placed him at 240 to 250, big dude. The Coiler has been tried and tested as a tough bike and will not cost as much as a custom frame. Pick up a copy of MBUK, if you are in the UK, I read that mag because they give good reviews and are not afraid to call a spade a spade and point out faults. There seems to be a big Kona following in the UK (if you are there) and plenty of bike shops that have yearly blow out sales. The Kona web site will also guide you to nearby dealers. For a XC/AM bike the Coiler will hold up.

http://www.konaworld.com/bikes/2k7/C...UXE/index.html

Underskilled
    Good piece of deduction by Jmac,
    I am in 'old' York England.

I didn't realise how reasonable custom frame builds are. Is there a list of custom frame builders, or is there a specific term I should search for that would get them?
    I only found 1 in england, they do hardtails in Ti only. Getting one shipped from the USA would be pricey but maybee the way to go.

My inside leg is 36" I think.

I don't know my budget, I just know what I want and am looking to know what price I would have to spend.

I will take your advice on MBUK, my dad has a ton of those, could be a good place to look for custom frame adds.

I think a custom frame could be the way to go, depending on price, at least I know then it would fit. Just out of curiosity how often are people breaking bits on their bikes here. I am loosing a component a ride at the moment!!!!

Underskilled
    I should add that getting one shipped from teh USA could be extremely expensive but not a touch on that custom Ti build.
    I haven't even bothered asking for a price on that, though tempted for a laugh.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Fella - I'm 6'7", 250lbs and riding a biggest size On One ScandAL 29er - Brit brand, imported frame - fits great.

You do need a 29er - I've done aaaaaalllllll the research you need - having ridden 26ers fr years and then watching the 29er thing creep up on us from the USA. There will be the Specialized bikes for 2008, including the really big. I'll guess Gary Fisher will have the big wheeld bikes with fairly big frames for 2008. The future is rosy - even in the non-custom arena. Drop me a PM if you want to chat more. I'm based near Peterborough most of the time, so just down the A1 a bit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Yeah way too small I would say. I am only 6'3 and ride a 22" frame. Next bike will probably be a 29'er

Underskilled
    So does anyone know how large a frame I should be riding.
    That wrench science said only a 22" others have said upto 27"
    I'm confused!

just along for the ride
    I'd say look for 22+ sized frames or else it will seem small. I'm 6'4" 34" inseem and 210 riding a 19 inch freeride frame but itdoes have a 3" stem riser and a 150mm stem, not to mention the longest seatpost thomson makes. But I do like the tighter fit. The 29er solution sounds good but I'd hold out for a 20mm axled fork, makes a huge difference. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I live in York aswell CaveGiant, just off boroughbridge road, small world innit!!!! Anyway, have u looked in the bike shop over at clifton moor (forget what its called off the top of my head) but the last time i was there they had some large frame Orange MTB's and a couple of Norco's in what seemed like big frame sizes, mite be worth a look mate.

Jason

Underskilled
    Quote Originally Posted by l34052
    I live in York aswell CaveGiant, just off boroughbridge road, small world innit!!!! Anyway, have u looked in the bike shop over at clifton moor (forget what its called off the top of my head) but the last time i was there they had some large frame Orange MTB's and a couple of Norco's in what seemed like big frame sizes, mite be worth a look mate.

Jason
    Hi,

Are yuo talking about bike outlet?
    If so I spend a lot of my free-time there, I break components and the guys there take pity and fix my bike cheap and well.

I got my frame and loved it for a whole 3 days before my bike was stolen!!

AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH

So still loking for advice now back upto 29"

banned
    I think the perfect bike for you would be along the lines of a large Inbred or Karate Monkey. Simple, easy to maintain or fix and not a lot to go wrong with them. I am not as tall as you but I weigh 285lbs and currently ride a 29er SS with absolutely no problems. I also have a Moto-lite that is built to take my weight and have had no failures of any kind. But at your height the 29er SS makes the most sense.