Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Im Fat....really fat....

Hey guys,
    So im 6'3 and 360 or so lbs........is there any bikes out there that i could possibly get my ton on?.....when i was younger i had a few bmx bikes, a haro SI and a Haro supra sx, had a knee injury and got fat....8 years later (im 25) id like to get back into the sport mainly to lose some chunk.

I have been looking at haro rigid frames and a few cannondale....my budget is high 500's maybe 600 for the right bike....i will be on mostly dirt roads, nothing extreme.

thanks for any help in advance.

Jacob

Plus size jersey model
    I am a big fan of Haro since I have one and have yet to destroy it. I would say anything that can get you started will be fine for now since you will be riding forest roads. After the weight comes off you can treat yourself to a new bike for a job well done its a nice motivator. You may also want to look into a cheap 29er with your height it should be a nice fit. There was a nice rigid that someone here just bought a few post back Picked up my d440 yesterday!

Former Bike Wrench
    Full Rigid is the way to go, and a 29er would be good for your height. Here are some suggestions:
    GT Peace 9er Multi (Performance has these on sale in your price range)
    Redline D440
    A used Surly Karate Monkey

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm in your weight category and I ride a rigid GT. No problems with the bike although you should get a pair of double wall rims.
    Larry

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykup
    Hey guys,
    So im 6'3 and 360 or so lbs........is there any bikes out there that i could possibly get my ton on?.....when i was younger i had a few bmx bikes, a haro SI and a Haro supra sx, had a knee injury and got fat....8 years later (im 25) id like to get back into the sport mainly to lose some chunk.

I have been looking at haro rigid frames and a few cannondale....my budget is high 500's maybe 600 for the right bike....i will be on mostly dirt roads, nothing extreme.

thanks for any help in advance.

Jacob
    You will want a good strong bike, it is motivation to get out and ride and continue riding.

If you can expand the budget you could have some options for a bike with suspension and other components that can handle some weight. If you are dead set on the budget then a fully rigid is the way to go.

Get something fully rigid with the best components you can find, if you live somewhere flat a single speed wouldn't even be a bad option. You can get a decent rigid steel single speed for the price range you're looking at.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Full Rigid is the way to go, and a 29er would be good for your height. Here are some suggestions:
    Redline D440

+1 on the GT Peace 9er Multi from Performance.

At 6'3" the large should fit nicely.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=3050

mtbr member
    May 2009
    would it be foolish to buy a bike with a front shock that could be locked?....and then use it when i got rid of some of my weight?...my local dealer deals only in KHS cannondale and Fuji bikes....i was really shooting for a haro but upon doing some readings all bikes a pretty well comparable at all price ranges....i have decided that i will be upping my budget just a smidge to 700 bucks.....

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    any bike in this price range with a fork is going to be a wet noodle under such girth...

rigid is the way to go... especialy if you are sticking mostly to smoother trails or the street... if you are sticking primarly to the street then pick up some big apples (tires) or some other large volume smooth rolling tire...

I own a redline d440 and it's been very good to me (i'm 300#) but if you don't have enough power (and the weight makes a big difference in that) you may want more then the 1x8 gearing...

as far as new I think about the best deal out there is the GT Peace 9er Multi from Performance.... the componets will do just fine but none of it is light weight...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Redline D440
    You won't go wrong with any of these rigid 29ers; all of them come tried and tested by several clydes. I happen to have the Peace GT 9r Multi.

I'm just a tad under 6'2" and weighed about 320# before I started biking again. I'm now about 285# and the GT has survived several ugly wrecks without any serious damage (well, other than the bent seatpost - but I had already planned on upgrading the post anyhow).

I went with the large frame and it fits me very well. I chose to upgrade the brakes from the stock Tektros to Avid BB7s and, while not absolutley necessary, I enjoy the improved stopping power of the BB7s.

I will eventually upgrade the rims to either the 36h Kris Holm Unicycle Rim or 36h Sun-Ringle Rhyno Lites, but the stock WTB Laserdiscs have held up quite well thus far and still have not required any truing.

Former Bike Wrench
    No problems with the bike although you should get a pair of double wall rims.
    If your refering to the rims on the GT...they are double wall triple cavity rims, very strong

Former Bike Wrench
    Talk to your LBS about replacing the suspension fork (Dart, which will not support your weight at all) with a rigid one if you go that route

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Get the heaviest duty bike you can, for the time being. I used to weigh a porkly 230, when starting out on a 33 lb Trek 4900 Disc hardtail. I rode that bike to work every day for one full year and lost 65 lbs on it. Now, I am 155 and I "rewarded" myself with a 19 lb XC race bike.

I went from being barely able to circle my street block twice, to logging 100 miles/week now. Your bike will help you lose all your excess weight. Once you get some base cardiovascular fitness- incorporate gradual hills in your routine to burn off some major body fat. A rapidly beating heart literally "melts" fat off your frame.

"Enjoy every bit of the journey, because once you reach your destination...it gets boring"
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    May 2009
    ok ok....you guys talked me into it....ill go with the GT 29r....but i want to make sure that even with a $700.00 budget there isnt anything better i could get....My wife will also be purchasing a bike....she however isnt over 150lbs and is around 5'8-5'9 any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

315lbs

I ended up getting an Iron Horse Warrior 5.0.

Some will frown on Iron Horse because of their debacle (they’re out of business). Frankly though, I’m not worried about the warranty. When something broke, I replaced it with something better (seat, crankset, rear wheel). Plus, its heavy – more workout I suppose.

mtbr member
    Like you said you're fat, really, really fat. You must eat really, really bad. You can lose a ton of weight just by eating healthy. You shouldn't be biking alone or with your wife in the woods. That's a terrible idea. 700 dollars will buy you great food and a gym membership in a few months. You should do lots of different things to lose weight, not just ride around. I think you should lose 100 pounds before you even think about buying a bike. Eat healthy, no pop, drink water, lose at least 100 pounds then buy a bike or try something like P90X.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for the imput limba, but you really didnt even tend to my question...

If i were interested in a gym i would not be here asking about bikes.

That being said im taking previous posters reccomendation's and goin to buy a GT 29r

Thanks guys most of you have been a great help!

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    unless his dr says otherwise I can't say I'd agree... heck he's only 20-25lbs more then I was about a year ago when I started riding...

yes just eating "better" will go a long way... I went down 25# just by drinking less soda and chips and limiting my 2nds at dinner... I started out in the moribily obese cat and am simply in the obese cat now...

if it gets you active get a bike and roll... and enjoy yourself... i'm still a fatty @ over 300# other then high blood pressure I've got no problems (and the high bloodpressure was there back when I was 195#... thanks for the genetics dad) by limba's post I shouldn't be riding till I drop another 50# haha.... yet here I am tearing up the trail with regularity... running the time trials quicker then some of the slower guys... and having no problems with a metric century on the road (on my MTB no less) heck when my Dr said I needed to do vigours exercise 2-3x a week he was shocked when I asked if going out and riding 15+ miles in a shot counted... which i do regularly

yes i'll be faster as I loose more weight... I'll also loose more weight as I eat MORE food (you'd be amazed at how much food you have to eat when eating "properly")

anyway... unless your Dr says otherwise... get on that bike and RIDE... heck more often then not at higher weight levels cycling is about the only thing you can do safely to loose weight due to the low impact nature of cycling

anyway heres a real inspiring page... http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com/
    him at the start

so again... unless the dr says it's not safe... get on a bike and pedal your brains (and some weight) off
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    ok ok....you guys talked me into it....ill go with the GT 29r....but i want to make sure that even with a $700.00 budget there isnt anything better i could get....My wife will also be purchasing a bike....she however isnt over 150lbs and is around 5'8-5'9 any suggestions?

If you do decide to go w/ the Peace 9r GT Multi from Performance, here are a couple of things to consider:

[*] There are frequently coupons floating around for Performance purchases. Here's a recent thread:

Performance: Anyone know the best current coupon and/or upcoming coupons?
    Performance: Anyone know the best current coupon and/or upcoming coupons?

[*] Consider joining their Team Performance program before buying the bike.

It costs $25, but you will receive at least a 10% credit for every purchase you make that can be used like an "in'-store" credit. Just the purchase of the bike will earn you enough points to pay for the membership *and* leave at least another $25 in credits. I used my credits to purchase a Cateye Strada Wireless.

On the potential downside, if you don't have a Performance Bike retail store nearby, you will probably have to pay for shipment of the bike. You will also need to find a local bike store to perform minor adjustments and tune-ups if you aren't comfortable doing the work yourself.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Wow thanks for all the info, i do not have a store near as i live in maine...i do howeve have a bit of experience with bikes...but BMX not MTB...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by limba
    You shouldn't be biking alone or with your wife in the woods. That's a terrible idea. 700 dollars will buy you great food and a gym membership in a few months..
    That's absurd.

Suggesting that someone looking for a bike recommendation shouldn't be biking and should use their 700 dollars to buy food and a gym membership or that they shouldn't ride at all is not quite productive.

I've been riding from the point at which I was 360 pounds. Just made it into the sub-300 range a couple weeks ago, I've got a good bit to go but I'm still working on it.

Of course diet is key, you can't get up to 300+ pounds without over eating.

The gym is great place, but who wants to go ride a stationary bike or jog on a treadmill when you can go out and ride some nice trails or even go for a hike outdoors. I know I can't spend more than an hour on my spin bike, but have no problems going out on an all-day ride with several thousand feet of climbing. In fact I plan on going on four major rides this upcoming holiday weekend. Best of all I'm excited and motivated to get out there, not the case with the gym or the spin bike.

Over 90% of my riding has also been with just myself and my wife. We like exploring new trails, just pop in a GPS track and start pedaling. We always come prepared with maps, GPS and all necessary tools/supplies.

Since I've been riding my riding skills have progressed from riding a paved bike path to black diamond runs at Northstar.

The main thing is to make sure to get a bike that works for a heavy rider. I bought the wrong first bike, not a problem, I bought components one by one and modified the bike to make it more suitable for a heavy weight that is into aggressive riding. At this point the only part of the original bike that remains is a set of XT shifters. Now it is a 45 pound 6" all-mountain bike that can take a beating.

Since the OP doesn't want to spend thousands on a frame up build a rigid steel geared bike would get him off to a great start.

mtbr member
    Tell someone where you're going to ride, how long you'll be gone and bring a cell phone with you. Good luck, have fun but be careful.

mtbr member
    Ordering a bike online is not a bad option, I did the same thing and it taught me quite a bit about bike maintenance.

Get yourself the GT Peace 9er Multi from Performance in a large and get the wife an Iron Horse Warrior 5.0 in 17.5" from Randall Scott. My brother just bought one for his wife and its a great value.

http://www.rscycle.com/2008-Iron-Hor...9&category=56#

For a little over $1100 you're both on the trails.

Clydeosaur
    I'm in your heigh/weight range and i went for a redline d440. solid bike, no weight related issues. it is new though so give it some time.

the peace was also in the running for me and if I had a local performance I might have gone that route. Pricing was about comparable to the redline (after shipping on the peace) and the redline was local. Plus I liked the idea of 1x8 so the redline had the edge.

Plus size jersey model
    Yeah I would go with the 1x8 over the SS. I love my SS but I would say at your weight you are going to want some gears and the fact that it is new. SSing can be an acquired taste. Plus don't listen to Limba whatever it takes to get at out and exercise do it (unless doc orders say so). If you can find something that you enjoy that will be the most important thing in losing weight. If the gym sucks then its going to make you less inclined to work out. Just get out and do something you enjoy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hey Jay,
    Like I said I'm in your weight class and sometimes even more. I was blessed with this little heard of and incurable disease called lymphedema. Basically my lymph system doesn't work and my body fills up with toxic fluid. There's the rub "fluid". Water pills don't do anything. My muscles must be massaged regularly and exercise helps evacuate the "fluid".
    I started riding my older but very strong GT and I was able to drop 82 # in one month. Sounds impossible but me and my bike did this. The trouble with my disease is that it fights back and the weight goes up and down all the time. Between my massage treatments and biking I have found something to fight back with so get that GT and get out there and fight back. Good luck Jay.
    Larry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast