Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: I'm doomed...

  1. #1
    MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,304

    I'm doomed...

    my new girlfriend owns a Belgian style craft beer pub. I can't lose any weight, no matter how much I ride.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gerth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    379
    How much beer you drinking? Carbs turn to sugar and then to fat. If your fond of the beer then stay away from all other carbs. Eat as much protein as you can .

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    811
    Hmmmm. I wish I had that problem. Anyway, Gerth is right. Enjoy the beer in moderate quantities and lay off other carbs.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    24
    You're doomed? I brew my own beer, but at least I don't have to argue with it!

  5. #5
    MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,304
    I just stepped on the scale- I've gained 10 pounds despite riding at least 100 miles a week... Granted, I just spent last week at the shore, riding very little, eating bacon every day and drinking quite a lot... looks like I'll be eating salad for the foreseeable future.
    :-D
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: schnee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    851
    Beer not only adds calories, it changes your insulin balance and that prevents fat loss entirely even if you go calorie deficient.

    I've lost 40 pounds in the past six months, 100% I can attribute to dietary changes. Yes, sharply limiting beer (2-3 in one sitting once a month) was a huge part of that.

    Sorry buddy, gotta limit that beer in a big way. Once you reach a target weight and are in 'maintain' mode, maybe go back, but be careful either way.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee View Post
    Beer not only adds calories, it changes your insulin balance and that prevents fat loss entirely even if you go calorie deficient.
    That sounds like some broscience to me. While the body is remarkably adept at holding on to fat by lowering metabolism and energy expenditure, it can't completely violate the laws of thermodynamics.

  8. #8
    Perpetual n00b
    Reputation: dgw2jr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,073
    You need to up the in tent city!
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

  9. #9
    MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,304
    I feel like I've hit the mountain biking lottery. The only thing that would be better is if she owned a bike shop... I can always ride more.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dbhammercycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,038
    Yep, doomed. Nothing else ever off the menu, but belgian. No more IPAs, ESBs, stouts, porters, imperials, kolsch, lagers, pilsners, or witbier. You can look at those pretty labels, but can't touch and you most certainly can't swallow. She'll smell the others on your collar and you are all mash brother, all crushed grain and no R-OH for you. Good luck with that yeasty mess. Sure, she's all open air vats and airborne yeast starters now but it'll only get worse when you try to drink in session with your buddies. Personally I don't care for belgians, too many off flavors masquerading as desirable for my pallet. Well, you've made your bar, what else can be said?

    Oh, post this in the beer forum.
    No fuss with the MUSS

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,679
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    my new girlfriend owns a Belgian style craft beer pub. I can't lose any weight, no matter how much I ride.
    Yep, doomed. I'd be doomed too.

  12. #12
    MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,304
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Yep, doomed. Nothing else ever off the menu, but belgian. No more IPAs, ESBs, stouts, porters, imperials, kolsch, lagers, pilsners, or witbier. You can look at those pretty labels, but can't touch and you most certainly can't swallow. She'll smell the others on your collar and you are all mash brother, all crushed grain and no R-OH for you. Good luck with that yeasty mess. Sure, she's all open air vats and airborne yeast starters now but it'll only get worse when you try to drink in session with your buddies. Personally I don't care for belgians, too many off flavors masquerading as desirable for my pallet. Well, you've made your bar, what else can be said?

    Oh, post this in the beer forum.
    Fortunately, it's not strictly belgian:

    The Abbaye
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: schnee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    851
    Quote Originally Posted by formicaman View Post
    That sounds like some broscience to me. While the body is remarkably adept at holding on to fat by lowering metabolism and energy expenditure, it can't completely violate the laws of thermodynamics.
    You need to read up on the current science. One of my riding buddies is a metabolic scientist, and has been giving me the latest research. The human body is an incredibly complex system and the 'thermo' hypothesis fails to explain - for one example - how people with insulin resistance that gain weight with exactly the same diet that other people lose weight on.

    Read 'Why we get fat' and 'Wheat belly' for the lay person translations. The bibliographies for those books have the links to the (peer reviewed, legit) research.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    336
    how people with insulin resistance that gain weight with exactly
    Seriously? Your friend is that ignorant? Because mechanism for that is fairly well known. It is called, in extreme forms, Type II diabetes.

    In short - glucose that was not accepted, via insulin, by vital organs, is converted into fat and dumped into the adipose tissue. You gain fat yet your body starves. Thermodynamics cannot be circumvented.

    People with metabolic syndrome, once it gets dealt with, lose fat just as easily as others.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: schnee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    851
    Quote Originally Posted by uzurpator View Post
    Seriously? Your friend is that ignorant? Because mechanism for that is fairly well known. It is called, in extreme forms, Type II diabetes.
    You need to learn how to read. The first sentence was about my friend. The second was a very obvious example given to someone who's clueless enough to use the 'thermodynamics' junior high school science explanation, as if you can eat 2k calories of beer and lard and get the same results as 2k of vegetables, protein and good fats.

    Quote Originally Posted by uzurpator View Post
    In short - glucose that was not accepted, via insulin, by vital organs, is converted into fat and dumped into the adipose tissue. You gain fat yet your body starves. Thermodynamics cannot be circumvented.
    Yes, I learned that in high school too. Yet, amazingly enough, knowledge grows over time and the simplistic models of the 1950's have given way to a much more complete understanding.

    If only there was some way to find those things out. Like, reading things. Called books. Oh well, you know everything. I guess nobody else can tell you anything. Have fun with your omnipotence.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    336
    Omnipotence - hardly. Just read the scientific papers on the subject. Such as this one:

    Resting energy expenditure and body compositio... [Acta Diabetol. 1994] - PubMed - NCBI

    If you want more, I'll get some. But you will have to wait since I have little time and about 400 links to various nutritional papers. Sorting through them will take some time.

    But point remains. For healthy individuals, keeping a caloric deficit over long period of time will lead to weight loss. You can slim down on booze and chocolate. I would not recommend it, but you can.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: COMMandrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    my new girlfriend owns a Belgian style craft beer pub. I can't lose any weight, no matter how much I ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    I feel like I've hit the mountain biking lottery. The only thing that would be better is if she owned a bike shop... I can always ride more.
    Isn't that problem solved lol
    Australia didn't drift away over thousands of years - Chuck Norris roundhouse kicked it in the face.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,106
    Get some will power and lay off the beer if you want to loose weight. It's not that hard really. You just have to want it. If you aren't loosing weight cause you feel the need to booze it up all the time, you obviously don't want to loose weight. I've lost 70+ pounds since beginning of the year because I finally decided I wanted to. I've made the sacrifices in not eating many of the things I used to love eating. It's been worth it and I'll continue to do it until I loose all the weight I want and figure out what I can eat and not eat to maintain the weight loss.

Similar Threads

  1. Uh oh, we're doomed.
    By dirt farmer in forum Oregon
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-24-2013, 08:19 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-04-2011, 07:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •