Steve
    Jun 2013

I'm all over the place...

Now registered at multiple forums, changed my mind umpteen times to the type of bike I want. I have sat on a few, rode a few more and I am still unable to make up my mind. Initially wanted a entry level HT, but after research and advice (3 prior back surgeries and at about 280 lbs) I was advised to go FS which drastically raised my budget.
    Thought to myself, I said "self" you are going to be mostly on roads, go for road bike so get a road bike...researched those...then again, I said go cyclocross...then came the Fat tire...fun, fun, fun, but again, not so sure.
    So here I am, still deciding and I am most likely back to the HT idea, not hitting the more technical stuff in my area (until weight is gone) and get some good road tires. Like I said...all over the place. Anyway, thanks for reading and all the advice you fine folks have posted.
    2013 Cannondale Trail SL 29er 2

So many decisions, a million revisions caught between darkness and light.

mtbr member
    I have permanent back injuries and ride a HT, now a full rigid and it doesn't bother my back at all. Especially if you're not riding the rough stuff. IMO, if you think you'll hit trails, especially any single track, go with the mountain bike. You can ride it on the road too but you can't take a road bike on single track. I guess you could if you really wanted to, not sure how well it would work. I have no idea how a cyclocross bike would do. I'd love to get one someday. I have a road bike and I've thought about selling and buying a CX bike but really, I don't know that I'd ever really take advantage riding it off road.

mtbr member
    I personally would also just say hardtail mountain bike. You worry of back pain (legitimate worry) and I would say the answer to that, no matter the bike type, is proper fit. I feel that there is a lot of value in buying a bike from a bike shop and having them fit you and choosing the right parts (seat, stem, etc) and some shops will swap the stock parts with parts off the shelf to get you fitted properly.
    If you were to get an XC based hardtail, you can get some nice tires like Kenda small block 8, which is good both on and off road, due to lack of rolling resistance.
    Cross bike IMO is not really worth considering. Would it be cool to have a nice Surly cross bike for commuting? Sure. But they are a bit specialized. It would be more fun to ride a hardtail mountain bike on the road, than to do a cross bike through trails.
    Last but not least, the mountain bike is just plain stronger than the cross bike.
    Hope some of this was useful.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member

Re: I'm all over the place...

I think the more upright position of a mtb will probably be better for your back , depending on your specific injuries.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    A 29er with some balloon tires and lockout or rigid fork is what you need. I put Schwalbe big apples on my Jamis Dragon for the roads. The combination of a steel frame and big volume balloon tires is perfect for potholes, gravel and all types of roads.

I agree with AlexCuse that you're not going to like the back position of a road bike compared to the less bending of a mountain bike.
    He who dares....wins!

Steve
    Jun 2013
    I can get this:
    XTC 29er 2 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

potentially for $1255. I was considering going significantly less to the Revel 0, however not so sure any longer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Don't spend less. The XTC is far more bike than the Revel.

mtbr member
    The XTC is a very nice bike. The Revel has a bad fork and 26 inch wheels. For what you are looking to do I wouldn't go with any wheel size smaller than 29. The Talon is their next level down 29er but for the small price difference I would get the XTC.
    He who dares....wins!

Steve
    Jun 2013
    Still searching. Something will come to me. I've now looked at, not ridden the Specialized Comp and Hardrock and the Cannondale SL Trail models...I mean its a bike, right? I've put more decision into this than asking my wife to marry me.

Oh Yeah Baby
    I started around 285lbs on a hardtail mountain bike. Mostly riding it on the road for the first few months to gets my legs back and lose the extra weight. I currently ride at 228lbs @ a hair over 6'. Still I keep building hardtails. and love them.

Except for the fact you are buying new, I wouldn't worry so much about finding the "perfect" bike. Once you really start riding who knows what you will prefer and how your taste may change. But yeah, get a bike and ride ride ride !!!
    Misfit Psycles diSSent

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

I'm all over the place...

I am having a hard time deciding which bike to buy also. Getting back into it is mainly for getting in shape and I'm starting to realize that my indecisiveness has resulted in a lot of lost pedal time.

I'm planning to get a norco storm, it's well priced and looks like a decent bike. I don't plan on keeping it forever and having ridden it for a while I suspect my next purchase will be easier and better informed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Buy a frame and build it from scratch. Absolutely the best way to get the perfict fit for you. Good turn of the century FS bikes are super durable and made to be abused.
    I currently ride a 2000 Turner XC and an 08 Ventana El Salt and both of them can handle me easily. I'm 6'5", 300#. Don't buy into these "pro-sumer" bikes that everyone makes nowadays as they are mostly overpriced and loaded with low to mid grade components.
    You should be able to build a modern FS bike for less than $1500 and have top quality components.