mtbr member
    Apr 2013

I'm 6'4" 225 lbs n want a specialized enduro. New only come in large? Do I fi

I've had a iron horse size medium that I rode for years in WA. I love it n manhandled it. I struggled up the hills but I don't p$&@y out n push but then bomb it down. I recently tried out a couple XL bikes n they seem humongous to me. I could barely do bunny hops. I grew up freestyle n bmx n I like to have fun. I've even taken the iron horse to bike n skate parks into the pools n half pipe n did just fine but not as much fun. I have found used enduros in XL but new only comes in L. Would that be enough? I now live on NC. Thanks for any n all advice!

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by eddjmemg View Post
    I've had a iron horse size medium that I rode for years in WA. I love it n manhandled it. I struggled up the hills but I don't p$&@y out n push but then bomb it down. I recently tried out a couple XL bikes n they seem humongous to me. I could barely do bunny hops. I grew up freestyle n bmx n I like to have fun. I've even taken the iron horse to bike n skate parks into the pools n half pipe n did just fine but not as much fun. I have found used enduros in XL but new only comes in L. Would that be enough? I now live on NC. Thanks for any n all advice!
    I'll give you the same advice as I did over on the Specialized thread...

I'm 6'4" 225 36" inseam do I really need an XL? Would love an Enduro but only

As a tall man, go plug in three basic measurents to the Leonard Zinn calculator right here. Zinn is the wizzard of the tall man - 6'4" and beyond. Instructions on what and how to measure are here...

Lennard Zinn bicycle fit calculator:: frame fit calculator:: zinn and the art of bike maintenance fit calculator | Zinn Cycles website

You will see you can choose three fit positions (aggressive, recreational, and casual).

As an example, since I am your height, here is my calculation for a recreational fit on a mountain bike using the Zinn calculator.

ZinnMountainBikeRecreationalPosition

My XL bikes all are spot on (got the bikes before I found the Zinn calculator) as my "fit" is between the recreational and aggressive mountain bike fit for XC racing. You can run your numbers and then search the various brands you are considering to buy to narrow down what will be close to fitting you. As I said on the other thread, the size XL or even the XXL will both be pretty spot on out of the box for you. Give or take a stem swap of 10-15mm based on your preference.

Too many tall people are riding bikes that are too small for them due to an industry that has no understanding of our height. It's not your fault - it's theirs. So educate yourself on fit for the tall man (yourself) and have at it. There is plenty of product out there for the 6'4" and beyond crowd.

Me on my XL Niner JET 9...

Swanson Blur

BB

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eddjmemg View Post
    I would say no. You need an XL at 6,4" I am 6,1"and ride the Large Stumpjumper FSR.