mtbr member
    May 2006

Im 6'2, 250lbs...What suspension products have you found that won't break the bank?

At 6'2, 250 pounds it seems like most suspension products Ive tride just buckle beneath me. Have any of you found anything out there that works that won't break the bank? What fork would you recommend and what rear shock. I really appreciate all of you mountain bike junkies help!!! Also, I would like to thank anyone who posts to the scam section. I saw a Specialized S-Works Stumpy for $1350 and my heart started to palpitate, but then reason set in and I started to think that if it sounds too good to be true...Sure enough the guy is a scam artist from Chicago...BEWARE.

Thanks Again to ALL!!!

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by dlm4
    At 6'2, 250 pounds it seems like most suspension products Ive tride just buckle beneath me. Have any of you found anything out there that works that won't break the bank? What fork would you recommend and what rear shock. I really appreciate all of you mountain bike junkies help!!! Also, I would like to thank anyone who posts to the scam section. I saw a Specialized S-Works Stumpy for $1350 and my heart started to palpitate, but then reason set in and I started to think that if it sounds too good to be true...Sure enough the guy is a scam artist from Chicago...BEWARE.

Thanks Again to ALL!!!
    Some people have had good luck with air suspension, but I'm just going to stick with coils. For me, that's rule one. You aren't going to blow out a coil shock or fork. I'm using the 5th element coil. It's heavy and has enough adjustments that I can really screw up the feel, but it will not die on me if I take it off a big jump. Forks should be big as well. It's nice that more companies are offering thru-axle designs for trail bikes, because it means clydes can have a stiff front end. I'm using the Pike Race coil with x-firm spring kit, and it is plush but can take abuse. As far as bike design, I'm super simplistic and stay with single pivots. You get monster sized bearings that can take a load, and the rear is usually much stiffer than on other designs.

Fuhgetaboudit
    Dec 2004

You get what you pay for....

That old adage is certainly true here, as withy many things in life. I have found the best fork for me has been the Fox 36 Talas RC2 or the Fox 36 Van. For a Shock.... definitely the Fox DHX 5.0 Coil. Air is cool, but for us clydes I think the coil is a better way to go. I'm currently running an Ellsworth 19" Moment with Hope disc brakes and CK wheelset. Watch ebay and some other sources and pick up a nice used model. Replace some parts, learn what you like and what you don't and dial in your ride to fit your style and local terra firma. It's a blast... but again.... you only get what you're willing to pay for. Cheap parts yield cheap and unfortunate experiences and breakdowns.

Creepy tooth fairy

Good job! My Dopleganger!

Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    Some people have had good luck with air suspension, but I'm just going to stick with coils. For me, that's rule one. You aren't going to blow out a coil shock or fork. I'm using the 5th element coil. It's heavy and has enough adjustments that I can really screw up the feel, but it will not die on me if I take it off a big jump. Forks should be big as well. It's nice that more companies are offering thru-axle designs for trail bikes, because it means clydes can have a stiff front end. I'm using the Pike Race coil with x-firm spring kit, and it is plush but can take abuse. As far as bike design, I'm super simplistic and stay with single pivots. You get monster sized bearings that can take a load, and the rear is usually much stiffer than on other designs.
    I am in 100% accord with the "Guy". I run the same set-up; 5th Element 450lb spring, Pike Team x-firm spring. These are strapped to a Heckler, one of the best single-pivot rigs ever. I weigh 240+lbs with gear. I would if I were you avoid the "Stumpy" for more than the scammer issues. That is broken frame waiting to happen especially beneath biggun's like us. Many XC types will tend to scoff at the Heckler as being too "Freeride" but it is a very capable "do-it-all" rig. "All-mountain" before that term existed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I agree the SC Heckler is probally the best FS w/coil over for a Clyde. The VPP is probally great for the smaller guy. Sucks for the 230 plus Clyde.The Heckler is priced right too. My opinion.

Freshly Fujified

Coil 'n oil

Whatever you buy, make sure it's coil. Just too reliable over air for us big folks. My rig uses a PUSH'd Vanilla R with a 700 lb spring in the rear and a Z-1 Freeride up front. Works well for me at 250 lbs.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Here'a another vote for the 5th coilover, 450lb spring, about 120lbs of air on a Heckler! I have 2, 2005 Marz Z1 FRIII's. The one on my Heckler just felt really stiff from the factory, I rarely ever put air in it, only if I am on a longer, rolling, less technical trail. The other Z1 is on my hardtail and felt much softer. I dropped it to 130mm and changed out the oil weight to a mix of 10wt and 15wt that I got at a MX shop. Now, that thing is just enough stiffer and a little slower on the rebound.....I would definitely recommend a thru-axle fork, regardless of what brand you end up with....I am 250lbs.

mtbr member
    I just picked up an 05 Trek Liquid for $999. Loving it so far, it has a Manitou Black Super Air SPV up front and a Swinger 3 way in the rear. I called Manitou and told them my build (6'3" 260) and they said thier stuff would handle me. Put thier recommended air pressure in both shocks and found it to be too stiff, backed off the psi a tad and it's nice and plush now and well within operating specs. The thing I don't like about coils is the lack of adjustability, of course you won't have that in every case but in my experience, I've found coils to be very hassle free and reliable, but not very tuneable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm in the 250 range and thinking I need the Marz All Moountain 1. I am concerned about the skewer axle. If I want to stay Marz, should I be considering the Marz Z1 FR light instead?

I confess to lusting for the Marz 66RC2X, but I don't think it will work that well for AM.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Marzocchi and Fox

For me Marzocchi is not so expensive (cheaper than fox) and almost no mantainance, try All Mountain 1 or Z1 light ETA. HSCV damping is the best, 32mm stanctions are super strong.
    If you want wait a couple of months to try to get a 2006 super marz fork +/-$200 less.

Rear shock, 5th Element coil works for me very fine but I have heard the Fox DHX is more plush.

Team Cspine
    Greenfish has some killer deals on Ebay right now, I know because I just sniped a Minute 1 (w/coil) for $199!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
    Sorry what?