Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Former Bike Wrench

Bonking ... not feelin' well Illness has killed my Clydeness

Well the last two months have been a living hell for me. After five years of kind of, sort of, not really managing my Ulcerative Colitis I hit a brick wall head on. Two months ago I was 225#, I am 195# as of today. I've wanted to lose weight, but I don't recommend this route

I have made some enormous dietary changes out of pure necessity that will probably keep me down on weight which is a good thing. Since I've literally gotten in two rides in the past two months my muscle tone in my legs has gone to flab so I will be regaining muscle weight but as my exercise increases again with my new eating habits my hope is that I will burn the extra flab in my upper body and remain under 200#.

With a little luck, I hope my recovery makes me a healthier person and regain my pre-clyde cycling abilities (especially going up hill).

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    One word. Colectomy. Fix that damn problem pretty quick.
    That sounds like a rough flareup I'm real sorry man.

mtbr member
    Have that checked out pretty carefully. My sister lost her husband because of that at age 29. Ulcerative colitis increases the risk of colon cancer. So, have them take a careful look.

Keep your head up.
    If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.

mtbr member
    I had a bleeding polyp in my colon that was supposedly non cancerous...but just bleeding like crazy.
    this, obviously, was found after the colonoscopy, which I'm assuming you have had already.

The great thing about the surgery to remove it is, I was under a general anesthesia (was also getting a few hemmoroids removed via hemmoroidectomy...which I dont really recommend) and there are supposedly no nerve endings in the colon.

so when he sliced it off and stitched it up, there wasnt any recovery pain.

now, for the hemmorhoidectomy, I was on percoset, valium, oxycoton and doing sitz baths 5 times a day for about a week and half...lots of recovery pain.

so, at least you wont have any pain to deal with after the surgery
    Deltona (between daytona and orlando)
    2006 trek liquid with beefy freeride components for my fat arse

Former Bike Wrench
    It turns out due to the flare up and subsequent frequent diarrhea that I have now developed anal ulcers and fissures. It is that and not really the UC that is currently causing me the major pain. So sitz baths, and some special ointment in the next order of business. So I really have a battle on two fronts, one is getting the UC under control which requires eating a very bland (BART) style diet right now while at the same time trying to heal my arse.

Total nightmare, but I guess that which doesn't kill me will make me stronger (and lighter).

Back of the pack doping.
    Get better man. The trails will be there waiting when you get back to them.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Hope you get feeling better, I know a couple with UC and it is a rough time for sure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Stay healthy big guy! I have UC also and it has it moments of being a living hell. I seem to maintain mine pretty well and only get a flare up once a year(thank GOD) which is probably attributed to my diet and activity level.
    I managed to lose 35lbs in 3 months a few years back so I know how you feel.
    Pedaling Gorilla

Former Bike Wrench
    Well I landed my arse in the hospital as my UC just kept getting worse and worse. I've been here a week and have shown a lot of improvement so it looks like I might get to go home in a couple days. I'll be out of work at least another two weeks. I'm now down to my college weight of 185lbs and with my new palette I imagine I'm going to stay under 200lbs.

I'm looking forward to riding again, probably starting with the mostly flat lake trail (3.15mi) near my house and slowly getting back into the groove.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    Well I landed my arse in the hospital as my UC just kept getting worse and worse. I've been here a week and have shown a lot of improvement so it looks like I might get to go home in a couple days. I'll be out of work at least another two weeks. I'm now down to my college weight of 185lbs and with my new palette I imagine I'm going to stay under 200lbs.

I'm looking forward to riding again, probably starting with the mostly flat lake trail (3.15mi) near my house and slowly getting back into the groove.

Wow! Sorry to hear it. Best wishes for a quick and complete recovery.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Jab70 View Post
    One word. Colectomy. Fix that damn problem pretty quick.
    That sounds like a rough flareup I'm real sorry man.
    This is now where I'm headed next week, my Colon is not recovering and I'm tired of all the drugs and their side effects.

Bye, Bye Colon...hello life again

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Good luck on the colectomy. ive had several patients have them and it really makes a world of difference. plus no more worry bout cancer down the road. heck you ll even lose a couple more pounds and make hillclimbing even easier! Good luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Good luck, I've had friends who've had colectomies, did well.

MTBR Member

Hi, mtnbiker,

I was doing a search trying to find out what "clyde" means and I stumbled in here. I had a colonoscopy once and wasn't a big fan. I can't imagine the trouble this illness has bestowed upon you and I do hope that you have a good go of the procedure and make a speedy recovery.

Rubber-side down,

Woodroce

Former Bike Wrench
    Well things just kept getting worse and worse, and I started massively hemoraging a week and a half ago. I had to be rushed into emergency surgery where my Colon had to be removed. So I now have a ileostomy for at least six months (maybe for life). There may be a chance to do a J-Pouch procedure down the road in 6 months but that is something I will have to think about.

I'm just looking forward to getting home and getting healthy. I can ride with the ileostomy and I'm going to be lighter (180-190lbs) so it will be interesting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    will include u in prayers tonight dude. get well soon!

mtbr member
    Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery. Keep your head up and get ready for the riding - you will get back on the bike soon.

Former Bike Wrench
    I'm headed home today, been feeling pretty good the last few days and my numbers are slowly starting to come up. I'm 180lbs now, hoping in the next few months of recovery to add muscle mass to my legs but to keep the weight off my upper body. Based on my required diet, I'm probably going to stay in the 190 range which is good.

Thank you for all the well wishes, it is still a while before I can ride but I'm finally headed in the right direction minus my colon...

banned
    Sep 2010
    Glad your heading home, healing vibes coming your way from my whole tribe. Here's to a speedy recovery.

AZ
    banned
    Home is good, stay positive, good mojo to ya!

Something to a smile on your face.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

ouch

That colitis is a bad thing to have. I know a guy who had 6 or 7 feet of his small intestine removed b/c of it.

I read about this alternative. It's creepy but maybe it works too.California man Eats Parasitic Worm Eggs to Treat Ulcerative Colitis | My Health News Daily

Drew
    occasional cyclist

FKA Malibu412
    Aaron,

Continue working on getting better. Sending positive vibes your way. See you on a trail.

Dave
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

Former Bike Wrench
    Thanks Dave...hoping the Stella SNAFU gets resolved by the time I start riding again. I got the Huffy (Dawes) Klunker all SS'd out and ready to do laps around Lake Sac as part of my rehab.

mtbr member
    Now that you are all skinny and crap....don't forget about us fatties.

Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery though. Just work on getting better.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    Thanks Dave...hoping the Stella SNAFU gets resolved by the time I start riding again. I got the Huffy (Dawes) Klunker all SS'd out and ready to do laps around Lake Sac as part of my rehab.
    For sure... I'm thinking Bob and others may be able to massage this a little and something will be worked out....fingers crossed.

Take good care.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast