mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Good job! Ibex Apogee Update/Review

Back in January I purchased an 05 Ibex Apogee LX. It has now had a few months of riding and a trip to Fruita and Moab so I thought I'd post a bit of an update and reveiw. On a side note, if you want to check out more of my trip pictures look at Moab & Fruita Passion which is a post my brother made of our trip.

So far I have been very happy with the Apogee especially for the price I paid ($999). Being 6' 2" or so I bought the 20" frame. I am also proably over 300 with gear so I'm not a light clyde. The components for the price were awsome. The Reba SL and Ario setup has worked well and offered more than enough range for my size (I run both around 160 psi out of 250 max). Juicy 5's have great stopping power though tend to squeek and chatter a bit. They provided plenty of stopping power going down Porcupine Rim in Moab but they were very hot afterward. The drivetrain shifts smoothly and doesn't flex to much. It has an LX front shifter and a XT rear with LX shifters. The crank is a Truvativ FireX which will flex a bit under high torque but it doesn't bother me.

The frame rides nice and doesn't have a lot of pedal bob. The top tube is a bit shorter than I'm used to on my old rigid but is nice on technical stuff. Standover is nice on this bike and gives me some more confidence. So far the frame has held up well as that is the one unproven area on this bike.

For upgrades I'm running a set of Rhynolite XL wheels with XT hubs. I'm sure the Sun singletracks/deore the bike came with would be plenty clyde worthy but I'd rather have the XT hub. I also upgraded to a 7" rotor in the front which was more because of interference withe the Rhyno spokes and the Juicy caliper (stock wheelset didn't have the problem). I also switched to a longer seat post. The stock one was barley long enough at minimum insertion which I didn't like being a clyde (since that puts more stress on the post and frame). Lastly I'm running IRC mythos XC kevlar tires which I like.

A few areas where the bike could use improvment: Cable routing around the rear shock needed some work and still could be better. As mentioned above I needed a longer post. The last issue which is inhearant in buying a bike online was buying it unseen and having to do a bit of tune up initially. I didn't mind that much though.

You can also check my review on the review part but its basicly the same as here.

Here are a few pics of the bike performing in Fruita and Moab.
    Attached Images Attached Images

29 some of the time...
    Nice review. The pressure range for the shocks are much better than fox shox, at least out back. I am about 230 and have to run 270lb in my dhx air shock. Larger rotors will help dissipate heat a bit better. I run 7in all around for the last couple of years no overheating or pad glazing even on steep dh runs.