mtbr member
    Apr 2011

I Think A Clyde Worthy 29er Hardtail Has Been Found......Canfield Yelli Screamy

So I think I am just too much man ( mass? ) for my 09 Rockhopper. Constant bottom bracket issues ( actually pretty poor craftsmanship and tolerances of the bottom bracket shell ) and now that I have confirmed that the frame flexes enough to allow the rear tire rub on the chainstay ( I always thought on the stand-up-mash climbs my shoe was maybe rubbing the rear tire, but when I had the rear wheel off i noticed some bright shiney bare alum. on the inside of the cs), I think it's time for me and the RH to part ways.

It has been a great bike, and allowed me to knock off close to 500 miles of fun this summer, along with a large investment in new parts, that have broken or been worn out in the process. It is really eating me up thinking that I have a lot of nice parts hung off of a sub-par ( for my size ) frame.

I am pretty sure that the Canfield brothers had clydes in mind when they contructed the frame of the Yelli Screamy. Big beefy HT connections, lots of girth in the BB area, and the chainstays look to put a hurt'n on the rear tire!! This is one of the only 29er frames I have found that looks like it can lay the smack down. Most other beefy frames are for 26" wheels. I can swap all my parts from the RH over ( minus the FD and headset ) including my Manitou Fork.

It looks like this frame can put the power down......no more chainstay flex'n, tire rubbin' nonsense.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for the info! I'm a big atletic guy 6'3" 240 and I ride hard. How big are you? Based on your experience, do you have any recommendations for big guy beginners?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm 6'2" and 265#, I have loved my Rockhopper, but found the frame to flex a little too far for my expectations.

There are a lot of bikes out there. If you ride hard over a bunch of different stuff, there are a lot more 26" bikes out there that would better suit a big guy. I honestly have only found one or two burly beefy framed 29ers.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Are you sure it isn't the rear wheel that is flexing?

mtbr member
    I've been seriously eyeballing the YS. I have at least two items to research before pulling the trigger. The obvious issue is size. Which normally isn't huge. But check out the seat tube. Its mounted to the downtube (not the BB). I assume this is done to suck that rear wheel in to the BB and not have to bend tubes. Downside is that the seat tube has a pretty severe angle to it. Choose a smaller frame, with a long seatpost (my normal option), how far out back will I be seated? Easier to answer, are their Canfield dealers or do I have to buy online?

Despite the above, I'd say i'm 90pct likely to own a YS by end of year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    Are you sure it isn't the rear wheel that is flexing?
    I hope its not my rear wheel. I had the issue with my C29ssmax, and also with my Chris King/Flows. The flows are 36 hole, and should be pretty stuff.

Regarding the seatube issue, I think the angle of the seatube is almost the same as my Rockhopper, and the seatube to headtube distance is close to the same also.

There are no Canfield dealers...they sell direct only.
    I called Canfield yesterday, and was told that no XL black frames until Feb. of 2013.