Super Clyde

I need some inspiration.

After tearing my rotator cuff doing a Spartan Race in July I've been in a funk. I haven't been to the gym since, for obvious reasons, and I have only recently started riding my bike again. I rode 11 miles on a rails to trails trail last week and I was SPENT, I was riding up to 26 miles on the same trail in July. I've depressed since so my eating went to sh!t, I've gained back half of the 23 pounds I lost, so I get depressed about that, and I eat like crap, and it's a vicious cycle that puts me right back where I was when I started losing weight in April, I started at 368, got down to 345, and I'm back up to about 357. Post some stories of your success, some of the workouts on the bike that have worked (unfortunately my shoulder hasn't improved so I can't lift weights in a gym), and some diet changes. I was eating really well when I started, but I have a mental block on what to eat now. I want to buy a new bike in Oct when the 2014 Trek Stache 8 comes out, but if I keep on my current course I don't want to spend the money and end up trying to sell it on Craigslist at a loss in 6 months.

Sent from my iPad while drinking the kool aid.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    My first thought is to find a couple of riding buddies. My riding group has nothing in common except for loving to ride. We're different ages, different fitness levels, and entirely different types of bikes. The second would be to find different trails, another benefit of riding partners is splitting the costs of an overnight trip. Lastly I would suggest doing 12 miles next week. Then 13 the week after that. Stay after it. I track all my miles, and on which trails i rode in a journal. I then total up for each month. I know I ride more in the summer and fall, so I don't beat myself up for a low mileage total in the winter. I ride more after buying a cycling computer so I can see the miles I'm riding. I also use stava to track miles. As far as diet, yeah I suck. Too many sweets, beer, and fast food.
    I Do a vegan diet off an on, feel so much better when doing it, but..... Best wishes, and stay after it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    a wise friend once told me:

If you want it bad enough, you'll do it.
    If you don't, then you won't.

How bad do you want it? Ask yourself this question, and be completely honest with yourself.

I quit smoking using that Mantra. Seriously. Took up biking, using that Mantra. What before, seemed so complex was made so simple with this saying. Just apply it to EVERY decision you make over the day and before you know it...

Hang out with people that will motivate and challenge you. Don't be afraid to fail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Keep going to the gym - just do cardio stuff.

Rogue Exterminator
    I know the feeling.
    Had a similar type injury back in April which has put an end to upper body work outs.
    Oddly enough, if I am not working out, I drink more beer. lol

Fortunately it didn't end my riding but another crash did recently further delaying the healing.
    I have actually had multiple crashes this year on my left shoulder. First tearing the ligaments, second causing a dislocation, third injuring the scapula. I really need to learn to crash on the right side.

Anyways, I have spent a few weeks off the bike this time and can ride road now so I am looking to get a road or cx bike to keep in shape. However, since April, I have gained about 5 lbs but there has been some loss of muscle in there too so I am getting a little soft in the middle.

It is a little depressing, but do what you can to keep busy. It will minimize fitness loss and will help with the mental effects.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb2000 View Post
    My first thought is to find a couple of riding buddies.
    This. I may or may not get antsy and go for a ride solo. I may or may not go to the gym 3 times a week. I will never miss a group ride.

Quote Originally Posted by fooldall1 View Post
    If you want it bad enough, you'll do it.
    If you don't, then you won't.
    This as well. If you dont want it, no outside influence is gona do a damn thing for you.

Suck it up buttercup! Go ride!!!
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

Super Clyde
    Thanks for the advice guys! I just found out that I was invited to the Wounded Warrior Project Soldier Ride at the beginning of October. It's a four day event that includes 15-25 mile rides two of the four days. It's aimed at beginners, so it won't be a fast pace. It's more of a moral builder, with a no drop mentality. It still gives me something to shoot for, and gives me a reason to get out in the bike.