mtbr member
    Nov 2012

I need help getting a bike under $600 and I weigh 285ibs, hopeing to get black friday

I have $600 bucks and I weigh close to 300 pounds! I need help! Does anyone know what to get and how to get it on Black Friday?

(thanks so much in advance!)

mtbr member
    You might get the best value going used. My approach has always been to get the best frame I can afford, and upgrade parts as they break. I would recommend a 29er unless you are especially short.

That being said, my brother and I pooled funds in September to get my other brother a trek wahoo (Wahoo - Trek Bicycle) for his birthday and he seems to like it so far. You *will* need to replace parts on this bike eventually. I don't know suspension forks but the one it comes with doesn't seem all that great, and doesn't lock out (the Marlin is a step up price-wise, and I believe it comes with a locking fork). I do know mechanical disc brakes, and the tektro brakes that it came with feel a bit underpowered to me - though my brother is close to your weight and they seem to stop him fine.

You can also check out bikes direct (Save up to 60% off Mountain Bikes, All Mountain Bikes, Full Suspension SRAM MTN and Shimano Mountain Bikes and Hardtail Front Suspension and 29er Mountain Bikes from Bikesdirect.com). I don't have any experience with their frames but they seem to have decent build kits. Check out the fantom 29er - the $699 SLX one is probably worth the extra coin. I've heard you *will* need to do some assembly on your own if you go this route though.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    You might get the best value going used. My approach has always been to get the best frame I can afford, and upgrade parts as they break. I would recommend a 29er unless you are especially short.

That being said, my brother and I pooled funds in September to get my other brother a trek wahoo (Wahoo - Trek Bicycle) for his birthday and he seems to like it so far. You *will* need to replace parts on this bike eventually. I don't know suspension forks but the one it comes with doesn't seem all that great, and doesn't lock out (the Marlin is a step up price-wise, and I believe it comes with a locking fork). I do know mechanical disc brakes, and the tektro brakes that it came with feel a bit underpowered to me - though my brother is close to your weight and they seem to stop him fine.

You can also check out bikes direct (Save up to 60% off Mountain Bikes, All Mountain Bikes, Full Suspension SRAM MTN and Shimano Mountain Bikes and Hardtail Front Suspension and 29er Mountain Bikes from Bikesdirect.com). I don't have any experience with their frames but they seem to have decent build kits. Check out the fantom 29er - the $699 SLX one is probably worth the extra coin. I've heard you *will* need to do some assembly on your own if you go this route though.
    Thanks. Do you think those sales will last through Black Friday so I can compare prices with other sales?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    bikes directs prices are good year round so to speak. you won't get any better priceing than what you get from them but you will need to be willing to have a shop assemble it or have to know what you are doing to assemble it yourself. if you do , then you are golden. I was going to post this response to you last night but I'm new and didn't have enough posts to include links.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 29Trail

Talk to me, Goose.
    Cannondale Trail 6 worked out well for me. The components are decent but like any other entry level bike, you will have to replace things as they break. The only downfall is the wheelset.. they are a bit on the weak side. Look around for a good solid used bike that has been upgraded.. you can most definitely get a good deal for less than 500 or 600 bucks.
    We can't stop here, this is bat country..

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Used 26" will be the best bang for the buck, and will likely have sturdier wheels which you'll need. I'm a big dude too, and I've learned my lesson over the years about wheels.

Gumnut Peddler
    Have you done much riding before? If you havent, then you may not need to drop $600 on a bike. A cheap second hand bike in good condition will get you going, then after some time on the bike you will know what you like/dont like to purchase something better suited for you.
    Burning fat, not oil.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    craigslist... especially around this time and christmas time, people will be selling bikes to make money for kids gifts...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Used is a good starting point as other has mentioned.

I bought my Full Suspenssion KHS XC104 (2007 model) used for $500 which at that time retailed for $700. The bike is heavy but very solid! I'm 275lbs and abuse it regularly...got 2-3' of air this morning. My only upgrades has been a spring assisted gel saddle, ergo grips, and Maxxis Holy Roller tires...she is very comfortable to ride soaking up everything! The only parts I replaced has been the crank bearing assembly and brake pads. The crank started popping but still rode well, I just changed the bearings to help maintain the bike. The derailers work flawlessly...10X better than my 2013 Cannondale Trail 7! I love my Cannondale but the FS KHS is just way more easier of my rear end lol.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I see that you live in California, It did not say where, but craigslist has tons of bikes for sale that are great deals. Look in the SF, LA, OC and San Diego sections and you will find killer deals.

mtbr member
    Redline Monocog...plenty sturdy for your weight and within your budget
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

My Brain Hurts!
    My 2010 Giant Rincon is still as solid as the day I got it. I have only changed the chain, saddle and grips. The saddle was changed due to bent seat rails.

I was close to 300 when I got the bike and am at about 280 now. Stock derailleurs have been fine after a finicky break in period where the bike shifted whenever it felt like it. I had to readjust on the start of every ride for a short time but now it has been tough as nails! the fork is a suck spot, but it works and until it breaks I am riding with it!

Their are plenty of used bikes in this class that can easily be had for 300 bucks....and the new Revel from Giant can be had for under 600, especially depending on the option level you select.
    Last edited by ProfGumby; 11-23-2012 at 08:09 PM.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!