mtbr member
    Aug 2011

I Know What I Want, But No Idea What I Can Get.

I need a strong and sturdy bike that will handle 390lbs, I won't be too hard on it, but will be doing some smaller jumps.

I need:

Strong/sturdy
    Double wall wheels
    Hard Tail
    Single speed
    $400 budget

I would like:

29" wheels
    36 spoke if possible

I was looking at the Redline Monocog on the Single Speed forum and I was wondering what your guys thoughts are on this bike? Also, where could I buy one from, I can't find one anywhere for sale. Other than that I have no clue what bikes to be looking at. There is so much information and so many different companies that it has been impossible for me to figure it out.

FKA Malibu412
    Not a lot of durable options new in the $400 range for Clydes, especially considering wheels. Wheel upgrades are pretty necessary for most riders.

Used might net what you are looking for, depending on the bike culture and population in your part of the world.

The Mono is very decent but is going to run over your budget if new and wheels are so-so. Used will get the price in your budget.

A used Bikes Direct Dawes Bullseye/Deadeye is a possibility if you need a larger size and one can be found. They still have a few 15" and 17" Bullseye models in stock for $399.00 shipped and these have 36 spoke wheels.

Mountain Bikes - 29er SingleSpeed - Dawes Deadeye

Their aluminum Gravity 29 can be had for $349 up to 19" but comes with 32 spoke wheels.

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29 SS Single Speed 29er Mountain Bikes

The aluminum Nashbar 29 is very similar to the Gravity and can be had for around $450 IIRC.

A used SE Stout is another possiblity. Steel frame.

All are going to have rigid forks which I believe to be best at this price point and for your application.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I need a 21" too bad they are sold out, and I think those would have worked for me. I don't have a problem upgrading wheels later on down the road, I really just want something that I can ride now and it'll hold up for a few months.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

FKA Malibu412
    The Nashbar is available in 21" and has 36 spoke wheels. About the only new option left these days.in this price range for a 21".

Nashbar Single-Speed 29er Mountain Bike - Twenty Niner
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thank you. That's the best thing I have seen so far, definitely at the top of my list right now. I'm open to any other suggestions though, and looking to buy within the next two weeks.

Oh and I've been actively searching Craigslist, but not much seems to pop up around here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    My suggestion is to wait and save money for a decent bike with clyde worthy parts.

Find a used upper end bike that fits nice, and throw some beefy wheels on there. Then you can throw more $$$$ at it when sh!t breaks.

I doubt you would make it a week on a Nashbar before you were at the lbs.

Ohh, I would also buy that used bike from a lbs so they will service you with a smile.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    So what do you guys think of the gravity? They just restocked the 21" and it's $349 shipped.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2