mtbr member

I guess I'm a clyd

Well I just got into mountain biking. I am 6'1" and weigh in around 240 (I think gained some since the Corps). I figured that this would be much more fun than just running so, I'm giving it a try. I was told be a few people that I wouldn't want a FS bike but I ended up getting a '05 Rocky Mountain Flow FS and the bike is great! I have taken it out twice so far once on an all mountain journy and then some XC. I'm happy to say it worked great for both! I was just wondering why everyone assumes that because I dont weigh in at 150 soaking wet, I can't get everything out of a FS bike.

Freshly Fujified

Sounds like BS

Many Clydes ride Full suspension rigs, they just need to have the right fork and shock combination to handle the weight. I've had three f/s rigs and all have been fine at my 250 lbs.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by strohs
    Well I just got into mountain biking. I am 6'1" and weigh in around 240 (I think gained some since the Corps). I figured that this would be much more fun than just running so, I'm giving it a try. I was told be a few people that I wouldn't want a FS bike but I ended up getting a '05 Rocky Mountain Flow FS and the bike is great! I have taken it out twice so far once on an all mountain journy and then some XC. I'm happy to say it worked great for both! I was just wondering why everyone assumes that because I dont weigh in at 150 soaking wet, I can't get everything out of a FS bike.
    I'm not sure that would be what some were alluding to when they recommended you don't get a FS bike. It might have been because of the budget you were shooting for more than anything. As Call_me_Clyde mentioned, clydes use FS bikes all the time, and in fact I would say benefit more from them provided the spring/damper can support them. Even with inexpensive systems, a heavier person can overcome stiction and other minor annoyances that bother lighter people. What we have to worry about (I was 285 last year, and 239 now) is having enough spring to support us (tends to be a problem) and the parts themselves surviving. A cheaper bike leads to cheaper parts, and those parts tend to fail sooner under heavy people. Those parts are also heavier, and while you might say "I am heavy, so I won't notice" right now you will notice this later on. I know I didn't notice my Jamis being 33-36lbs and running 2.4" tires front and rear, but when I replaced it with my new bike there was a HUGE difference in performance and I can do much more than I could with the old bike.

Making fat cool since '71
    The people were just not all that knowlegeable about bikes or thought you were on a budget which wouldnt allow for a quality bike (which can, actually, be a valid thought with us...). I've been as heavy as 318 and on one FS bike or another for 9 years. Currently I'm 250 and thrash the crap out of a 6" travel bike that barely weighs over 30 pounds and it's great! My rigid SS is cool too and there are not any costly suspension bits to break too...anyway. Ride, have fun, lose weight if you want and enjoy the ride! Welcome. Stay awhile. There are good benefits...somewhere.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by strohs
    I'm in at around 200, but I've got front and rear panniers, and a rack. By the time I get those loaded I'm guessing the bike's carrying around 240. It's a Jamis Dakar, and its held up well since 2004, almost all off-road, XC. I did have to change the shock spring to a stiffer one or the bike would "boing boing" going up a hill, but even that wasn't horrible- I waited more than a year to change it.
    To the troll mobile, away...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Welcome Strohs,I'm also a newbe here.I also gain weight when I retire from sports and marride life did not help,I use to have a 215lbs fighting weight now I'm 300lbs.I'm also going to start biking to get rid some off this fat!Atleast we r doing something to get rid of it.Imaklyde,do you have a turner?I have a 6pack.Can I ask what is your spring weight when you are in your biggest,and where did you get it?I live offshore,and parts are hard to get except online vendors.Thanks guys and good day to all.

Making fat cool since '71
    1911GS: yes. With the 6" rockers it's an RFX ('06) of course and the DHX coil needs a 750# spring with me (250+ gear=265-270) on the bike. I almost always run it with the 5" rockers (and call it a "Spack" or 5-pack) and a DHX air on it though and have 265-275 psi in the main and 165-170 in the boost chamber. I just keep the fork at 6" and don't really want to mess with it too much I guess. I've only ran the 6" and DHX-C like twice. It adds over a pound to the bike and I don't really do much shuttle stuff or feel like the extra .7" of travel is all that beneficial for the riding I've been doing the past year. I've been riding the SS more and more so I might just throw the long travel junk on it and leave it, but who knows. I like having a "light" (31-32 pounds) 5.3" travel (rear) bike that can take head high (I'm a tick over 6'3") drops without any issue at all...

I bought the bike as a "Spack" from a local (Oregon) dealer and then ordered the 6" rockers and shock from Turner directly. They are great to deal with in my opinion. One of the reasons I went with a Turner: they did what they said, took time to discuss what I "wanted" and made some sound suggestions without a lot of pretense or agenda (except to sell me a bike of course!).

Sorry for the long answer!

Welcome guys and enjoy the ride!!

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Members who have read this thread: 0