S-Mart's Top of the Line

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! I f*c%ing HATE my original droid. (I need recommendations for GPS tracker)

So...a while back I posted about google My Tracks, and how awesome it was, and how much better droid tracking was as compared to the POS sigma bike comp I used to rock. Anyway, my droid is doing the "crazy screen" mess , and it's annoying the isht out of me. I think I'm going to ditch the smart phone in favor of a good ole' flip phone from back in the day that I know always works, but that leaves a gap in ride tracking.

So....here's what I'm looking for:

GPS tracking, preferably with the same features as My Tracks (distance, time, speed, elevation, etc)

Preferably wrist mounted

Prefer that it tracks health metrics (heart rate/etc)

Does any one know of any thing like this on the market that's not too expensive? I am abandoning droid, methinks, and I REFUSE to go back to a bike computer. Damn thing was a pain in the arse.

Thanks dudes.

- H

Lord Thunderbottom
    have you tried other apps??? I use the "imapmyride" free and haven't seen any crazy tracking

there's an ENTIRE board about this sort of thing, believe it or not.

http://forums.mtbr.com/gps-hrm-bike-computer/

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    iPhone 4S. There is an app called cyclometer does EVERYTHING it's a biking computer track recorder etc. it's works with the native maps on the iPhone.

mtbr member
    H,

Get a Garmin Forerunner. I've used the 305 for several years and it's great. Does everything you need for biking. You could prob pick one up for around $150 now that the new 910XL is about to come out.

S-Mart's Top of the Line
    TitanofChaos - It's not the app, it's the motorola droid digitizer freaking out...it's a common problem on the original droids and the x's.

NateHawk - Thanks, I had no idea. I pretty much just hit here, specialized, and urban/dj, and don't even look at the rest. Appreciate the looks, I'll check it out.

Rnd0209 - Thanks, but I want nothing to do with any smart phones, apple or otherwise. I'm over it. Occupies too much time.

Bunyan - Word. That's exactly like what I'm looking for...I'll definitely jump on the site and check them out. I appreciate it brother.

- H

nap
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    And get a cadence sensor with the forerunner 305 then it will be a full fledged GPS cyclometer.

mtbr member
    I think the Garmin forerunner is the only option if wrist-mounted is a requirement. Timex makes something, but it's garbage (you need a paid subscription to their web site to use all the features).

I got a 305 with HR but not cadence for $130 a couple months ago, after I lost my 205. I'd love a 905 or 910 or whatever it is, with the real triathlon features and ant+, but $500 for a [easily lost] watch is a bit much.

and for what it's worth, I haven't had any such problems on my HTC phone; the old razr was the last motorola product I think I'll ever own.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnd0209 View Post
    iPhone 4S. There is an app called cyclometer does EVERYTHING it's a biking computer track recorder etc. it's works with the native maps on the iPhone.
    Cyclemeter is a great app if a bit bloated by features. I prefer Endomondo for its simplicity and synchronised web interface.

Bear in mind that the iPhone battery can get used up really quickly with the GPS etc going all at once. A dedicated GPS unit will likely have more accurate GPS and better battery life.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm using B.Icycle and love it.

B.iCycle BIKING WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN!

True. with 3G and GPS turned on simultaneously battery life sucks.

mtbr member
    Interesting, I have a Droid X2 and never had any issues with my GPS apps.

mtbr member
    Root your droid, delete the bloatware, enjoy a faster, cleaner phone.

I think the Gingerbread updates are out and its so much faster than the old Froyo interface on my Droid 2.

Tex
    I have the Garmin 405cx and find it to be everything I need and more. Been riding with it for about a year and logged 2,000 miles with no problems. One of my greatest investments for getting the most out of each ride