Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    large member

I did it! I buckled down and lost 78lbs. (Before & After)

Thanks to the encouragement of many people on here, friends, and my own will, I lost 75lbs. and hit a new milestone today. I did my longest MTB effort to date, and only stopped because we were running out of daylight. I felt great afterwards! A buddy of mine and myself pulled 40 miles of great single track in one effort totalling just over 6,000ft. of climbing in the mix.

About 1 1/2 years ago, I got sick of my weight and wanted to get back to my weight when I was in college and in decent shape. I had a bad accident (snowboarding) and ended up off my feet for awhile. In that time I gained 78lbs. in roughly a year. That was 1998.

Fast forward to a year ago from this past Januarary to the start of my effort to get rid of it all. I decided I needed to get back into some of my favorite outdoor activites, and biking came up first for it's low impact aspect. Well, I was really into MTB's for my entire youth and teens years, and I still had an old Trek fthat I rode just before my accident. I tuned it up, and hopped back on. The memories and feelings came flooding back and I new I was hooked again. This time however it was much more difficult due to my health.

Today, a year and a half after my start to better my health, that 78lbs. is gone. I went from 250lbs. to 172lbs. and I feel better than ever. Below are the pic's, the first from Spring 2005 (on the right), the second about 1/2 through todays 40 miler (on the left).

Thank you to everyone who inspired me with their stories and advice on this forum!

I'll be doing these longer distance rides (hopefully adding more distance each time) regularly to train for my first 100 miler (SM100).

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    God damn that is sweet.
    Trek 4300 2006
    M580 LX cranks
    11-34T Cassette
    Kool-stop pads
    El Notre 7075 Seatpost
    Laser V saddle

mtbr member
    This is great, well done

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Damn, dude!

I'll bet you had to buy a new pair of pants and everything!
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Hey congrats!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Awesome! I need to post those pictures up somewhere to keep me motivated!

large member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Damn, dude!

I'll bet you had to buy a new pair of pants and everything!
    Ha! You aren't kidding. You wouldn't believe how expensive al new clothes can get. I went from a size 40 to a size 32 waist and from a XL shirt to a medium.

mtbr member
    Congrats. Threads like this never get old to me, very inspiring. Good luck on your 100miler.

If you haven't already, I think lossing that much weight probably means you deserve a new bike. Or another bike. Or two more bikes. I'm just saying....

anyone else smell that?
    holy crap. fantastic job!!

mtbr member
    well done dude, congrats!

I need to get back to 180 from my current 205.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

mtbr member
    Nice work!

What exactly did you do to lose the weight? (besides biking)

You know, for kids
    nice! I'm at 250 needing to go back to 200 or less.

good work!

large member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipperyPete
    Nice work!

What exactly did you do to lose the weight? (besides biking)
    Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Biking alone got me down to 230lbs. and then I hit a plateu. After several months, I decided the diet needed a drastic change. I love to cook, and I really enjoy heavy sauces. I also dranks tons of juice and milk (%2). Heck, I had to re-evaluate EVERYTHING.

My main diet comments:

Cut out as much sugar as possible, especially when not active. Try to use only polysachrides such as maltodextrin for sugar/complex carb sources during workout.

No more juice, no more %2 milk. Limited to 1 cup of %1 milk a day for calcium, etc.

3 servings of veggies a day, steamed or raw or healthy seasoning

portion, portion, portions! Gotta get the portion sizes down!

Took caloric intake down to about 1,500 calories a day.

Longer rides, at a minimal of 2 hours. Passing that 2 hour mark is where you really start to burn off fat if your nutrition is in line.

Excersive almost daily. Have to recover too, but try to get some cardio in every day, preferably in the morning, even if it is just a few mile run when I get up.

PLAN MEALS AHEAD! This is key. Gotta have appropriate food readily available when you are hungry. This is especially true when working a desk job like myself. Lots of lean cuisine and smart ones.

Snack on healthier foods and drink lots of water. Often thirst is mistaken for hunger. Eat foods high in fiber to help you feel full longer. Snack on fruits and veggies, like some carrots and hummus.

Ultimately, you just have to be ready to stick to it. You have to have the will and motivation. One day I woke up and it just hit me. That day my life was going to change and there was no way around it.

I can't begin to describe the profound impact it has had on my life. I feel incredible! The bike now feels like it glides under me, rather than me dragging it and myself along. It is just insane to feel the difference so quickly. You will never regret it if you can just get yourself started. Once you get into a comfortable routine, you get addicted to it and crave the good food and excersize. I feel absolutely horrible now after eating some of my old favorites (especially deep fried dishes).

large member
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkty14
    If you haven't already, I think lossing that much weight probably means you deserve a new bike. Or another bike. Or two more bikes. I'm just saying....
    I opted for a new I9 ultralite wheelset. I'm actually trying to sell off a few bikes and other parts to fund a new road bike and hopefully a Dos Niner at some point.

Your bike is incorrigible
    That's absolutely fantastic! I need to go the whole way with my diet. I've done it before (a long time ago), and you're story is getting me excited to do it again. I need to be able to say, "What are we gonna ride tomorrow?" after short 40 miler!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Nice Job

My goal is a 40 mile dirt ride by September, but I sure as hell wont be at my goal weight by then. Congratulations!

mtbr member
    "You have to have the will and motivation." I start out with that and then it just goes away. Desk job here and work stocks the fridge with free soda. Working 2pm-12am doesn't help with tring to eat well either. I need to try better meal planning, and maybe cooking most of my meals one day and using my food saver. Eat dinner at work at a normal hour and not after 12am..

NormalNorm
    Thats great, so inspiring. I lost 30lbs once(trying to get there again ). You do feel totally different. Great story....

Trying a little
    been there and them some. way to go. tough but worth it.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

banned
    Inspiring! It is really great that you did it! It's all in the discipline, and it is great to witness your immense discipline.

Congrats!

More inspiration for others!

http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/
    http://www.johnstonefitness.com/

Train! Train! Train!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    What? No dexatrim or trimspa?? Great story, esp for those of us who battle weight issues (far too many I am sure). Pretty damn good advice on eating too.

Almost made me toss my Bridgeport IPA...almost.

Are you gonna eat that?
    Damned fine job that man

I used to weigh somewhere in the 400s and I'm down to the high 200s now, but I keep stalling out and putting weight back on, hopefully I can do the same thing you did this time, again
    Due to a lack of interest, tomorrow has been canceled

mtbr member
    Quite inspiring that.

My problem is the diet, knowing what to cook, being able to afford all the healthy fresh food takes its tole.

The biggest issue for me though is the vending machines at work that call out my name

Need to keep trying, i need ot change my life i dont want ot die young
    Kona Hoss '06 - Stone chipped allready!
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1047276/

large member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnus
    "You have to have the will and motivation." I start out with that and then it just goes away. Desk job here and work stocks the fridge with free soda. Working 2pm-12am doesn't help with tring to eat well either. I need to try better meal planning, and maybe cooking most of my meals one day and using my food saver. Eat dinner at work at a normal hour and not after 12am..
    Quote Originally Posted by RobHoss
    Quite inspiring that.

My problem is the diet, knowing what to cook, being able to afford all the healthy fresh food takes its tole.

The biggest issue for me though is the vending machines at work that call out my name

Need to keep trying, i need ot change my life i dont want ot die young
    Both of you have brought up a HUGE factor that is tough to overcome for many people. I am in the exact same boat, however I found a solution for myself. I was a soda whore, snack machine bandit, and late night muncher here at work. Not to mention fast food and crap ordered out from around work here. You just have to break the bad habits. I am handed Mtn. Dew for free fairly often at work, and they are tough to resist. When I quite eating and drinking all of the sodas and junk food, I went cold turkey. What really helped me do this was to leanr what it was I was ingesting and just how bad it really was. Before I could have cared less. This kept a healthy fear in the back of my mind about what these things will do to my body and how they will hinder my goal of losing weight. After awhile, something just clicks and you suddenly have lose the hard cravings and start to get turned off by simply reading the labels. Then after some time has passed, say a couple months or so, try that junk food or soda and I will be willing to bet it has little provided satisfaction and much less luster once you realize how it makes you feel and how little it satisfied you. It makes you feel like you were really just conditioned to like it in the first place.

As for meal planning, I just didn't have the time with all my work hours and traning to sit down and cook all my meals ahead of time. I did get a weight watcher cook book that had tons of killer healthy home made recipes in it that I now eat on a regular basis, but I still needed something to suplement my meals at work. I started testing out all the different healthy choices, smart ones and lean cuisines. I found the healthy choice one to be typically crappy. I was pleasantly surprised however with many of the smart ones and especially the lean cuisines. My fav's are the butternut squash ravioli, veggie lasagna, roasted garlic chix pizza, margahrita pizza, four cheese ravioli with veggies, baked chicken and plenty of others. Quick to shop for, easy to cart to work, ready in a snap to eat. I also stocked my desk with healthy snacks to keep me from walking to the vending room. I eat lots of veggies, soy crisp (tasty and you can eat plenty with little caloric intake or processed sugars), 100 calorie snack packs and my favorite fiber one bars (chocolate chip is soft and chewy..mmmm).

large member
    Quote Originally Posted by rafdog
    What? No dexatrim or trimspa?? Great story, esp for those of us who battle weight issues (far too many I am sure). Pretty damn good advice on eating too.

Almost made me toss my Bridgeport IPA...almost.
    Yep, no bunk pills needed for "help"!

You bring up one of the most difficult parts. Giving up the regular consumption of rich, dark beers. I'm a high gravity, the darker the better kind of guy. Now, well, I hate to admit it but I regularly drink Miller Lite instead. Pretty refreshing in the summer since it is damn close to water! lol. I still indulge in a nice beer or two on my splurge days, and since I save so much money left over from the penny wise Miller's, I usually go for the more expensive options I didn't want to pay for when I was regularly drinking finer ales.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast