lover not a fighter
    Apr 2005

I demo'd the Yeti SB 95

I have posted elsewhere that I am looking to replace my beloved, but 12 year old Heckler... Today I took out a Yeti SB 95 demo and rode an 11 mile loop on intermediate single track

My initial concern was how the suspension would handle my weight/size (6'5" 280#)... After setting sag and adjusting air, I found it to be more than capable of supporting my prodigious bulktitude...

On the trail, I must say that the SB 95 was a revelation. I found that it was able to roll over rocks and roots with ease... I was obviously faster than on my Heckler, but more than that, I was in control... At slower speeds in tight turns, it required more steering checks (as expected), but never felt twitchy. I also discovered that I was able to choose quicker lines, both downhill and uphill... Climbing was impressive, too. The end result, I finished the loop eight minutes faster than usual...and had a lot more fun, too

Oh, yes... And I bought one to keep

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    haha!!! I'm with you on the Yeti SB95 buddy. I got mine a few weeks ago and just love it. I'm at 250# and yeti told me the warranty frame weight is 265#. Just thought you should know. Reason I'm telling you this is because I had the same concern about height and weight with frame and factory shoxs. The stock shocks hold me up just fine too. I really really enjoy this bike.
    Have fun mate!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Those frame weight restrictions for warranty by Yeti always bother me. Most other makers don't really seem to care, maybe specialized.

Stupid is, as stupid does
    ^^^^^^That's funny. I have warrantied a few frames with Yeti over the years (Been MTB'ing for 27 years). Never once have they asked me how much do I weigh. It's like the military. "Don't ask. Don't tell"

On a side note. I am 235 geared up. I highly recommend swapping shocks to a CCDB Inline, Fox Float X, or a RS Monarch Plus (or Debonair) RC3 (If you can find one in a M/L tune). I ran all three and the CCDB Inline is just crazy nice.
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD (153mm 650B)
    Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso
    RIP 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler.In 2010 the frame cracked

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Semi off topic but how do they even know what you weigh when you submit a warranty claim?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Semi off topic but how do they even know what you weigh when you submit a warranty claim?
    True, but I don't believe in being dishonest and I really do not want to support a company with my money that doesn't want to support me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Well yeah, I'm not talking about being blatantly dishonest like if you are 300lbs on wheels rated for a 180lb rider. But I usually hover around 235-240 and with gear I'm 240-245. Lots of stuff is rated in the 240-250 range so if I happened to be 241 the day it broke and it got denied based on a 240lb limit I wouldn't be happy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Hey Rthur2sheds -- I am an inch taller than you at 6'6". Does that SB95 fit you well, or are you pushing it on the XL size. How long is your stem? If you were a little taller, would you still fit?

lover not a fighter
    Apr 2005
    sbk99... sorry for the tardy reply. The bike I demoed was a Large. It was definitely too small...fortunately, I was able to discern enough about the bike to go ahead and get an XL... I put $1500 down on a new one only to find out two days later that there are NO MORE alloy frames in XL! However, I found a "new" used one on Pinkbike with a 140 mm Pike and 1x10 XT drivetrain... I just got it on Tuesday, and have already gone on three epic rides...it is incredible

I am what you call "long torsoed", so even though you are taller, we're probably pretty close in size in the cockpit area. I find it to be just about perfect (my previous bike is an XL Heckler). The stem is 110. I don't need anything longer, and I certainly wouldn't go shorter.

my only quasi-negative comment: The BB is relatively low. you have to watch for pedal strike.

But this bike just plain flies... it rolls over or through everything, and inspires confidence. I was 5 minutes faster on the loop I regularly ride at Chicopee Woods in Gainesville Ga the first time out...today, I was almost 3 minutes faster than that! (part of that due to direction)...but, the thing just transitions beautifully from descending to climbing...

lover not a fighter
    Apr 2005
    here it is!

[I demo'd the Yeti SB 95-1073246_10203707952592058_7638023980016839572_o.jpgattach=config]930317[/attach]

mtbr member
    congratulations !! you picked a good one !

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rthur2sheds View Post
    sbk99... sorry for the tardy reply. The bike I demoed was a Large. It was definitely too small...fortunately, I was able to discern enough about the bike to go ahead and get an XL... I put $1500 down on a new one only to find out two days later that there are NO MORE alloy frames in XL! However, I found a "new" used one on Pinkbike with a 140 mm Pike and 1x10 XT drivetrain... I just got it on Tuesday, and have already gone on three epic rides...it is incredible

I am what you call "long torsoed", so even though you are taller, we're probably pretty close in size in the cockpit area. I find it to be just about perfect (my previous bike is an XL Heckler). The stem is 110. I don't need anything longer, and I certainly wouldn't go shorter.

my only quasi-negative comment: The BB is relatively low. you have to watch for pedal strike.

But this bike just plain flies... it rolls over or through everything, and inspires confidence. I was 5 minutes faster on the loop I regularly ride at Chicopee Woods in Gainesville Ga the first time out...today, I was almost 3 minutes faster than that! (part of that due to direction)...but, the thing just transitions beautifully from descending to climbing...
    Thanks -- good feedback.