mtbr member
    Feb 2009

I broke something but I don't know what???

I was out riding Kanuga Trail in Paris Mtn. State Park here in Taylors, SC when I heard a loud pop. As a super-Clyde I am hard on parts. Let me explain and see if you can diagnose the problem.

I was in the easiest speed on the bike (1-1; smallest in front, biggest in rear) because I was going up a really steep technical section at very slow speeds. In one particularly steep and difficult section, I stood up to pedal and that is when I heard the popping noise. At first I thought I broke my chain again, but when I got off to look at it, the chain was fine (it is fairly new). Also, my RD hanger is perfectly aligned and I could not ask for a more perfect chain alignment.

So, next, I checked my chain rings and cassette for broken or damaged prongs or deformations. Once again, everything looks brand new in the front and rear. I walked the bike up the steep technical section because I am not skilled enough to start on something that steep. Then I got back on the bike and noticed that my bike didn't like to coast. When the back wheel spins during coasting, it wants to turn the cassette as well, instead of spinning freely. In addition, at the next little hill I went up it popped again and basically won't let me put any high load on it.

The shifter still works fine (aligned etc) and this problem happens in any gear combination. The bike is not changing gears when it pops.

Here is my guess, but I have zero experience: The rear free hub ratchet mechanism is shot. That is the only thing I can think of. The crank set is perfect. The chain is perfect. The RD is perfect. The cassette is perfect. Everything is aligned. I think it's the free hub ratchet mechanism.

Anybody have this problem?? The bike is only 1 month old--Gary Fisher Piranha.

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Yeah, sounds like a freehub failure. I don't know anybody who has had that problem, but the wheels on a GFP are pretty low end, meaning the freehub is to. The situation you described is pretty much the classic torture test for any drivetrain part, and would result in about as much stress on the freehub as it will ever see.
    Good news is you can typically replace just that part, if you are willing to wait for shipping. Or you could buy rear wheel with a beefier hub, and get the original fixed as a spare. If you (say) put a slick on it for trianer / road use, you won't be subjecting it to so much stress.

Making fat cool since '71
    Could be that it's destroyed, could be gummed up (meaning it needs cleaning/serviced). It's easy to figure it out. Pull the hub apart and check it out. If you don't have the tools/ability it gets a bit more of a pain since you gotta take it to a shop (can be a good thing...depending of course). Assuming the chainrings and cassette are not worn (which can cause a "popping" sensation when power is applied) then pull the cassette and freehub.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Yeah it is definatly the freehub. I had a friend who did this same exact thing 2 weeks ago. He hear the loud pop at the top of a climb (as he was messing around) and as he headed back down hill he had to pedal the whole way. He pulled apart the whole freehub and noticed one of the three pauls (thing that ratchet against the freewheel body) were missing. We dont know how one went missing but you could see how the freewheel body was stripped because of it. the only solution i can think of is getting a new rear hub or wheel all together.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Wow, quick responses. Thanks for the input everyone. Good thing hubs aren't too expensive. Any recommendations on a good STRONG rear hub? The one that broke is a Shimano M495.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Chris King and it will be your last hub you'll need to buy.

Making fat cool since '71
    I run Chris King, Hope, and White Industries. Zero issues.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

You may just need new prawls!!

I did this on a a Mavic Crossride wheelset. I took the freehub body apart and replaced the prawls (clicky things) for $5.00. Most good bike shops will carry them. Make sure you replace the springs with each prawl. You gotta take the cassette off first.

The prawls will actually break under our weight My freehub was a little scarred on the inside, but not too bad. New prawls and they are fine again. My wife now rides that wheelset.

I have upgraded to Hope Pro II hubs. They have 4 prawls instead of 2 and seem much stronger.

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Quote Originally Posted by Theologic Bear
    Wow, quick responses. Thanks for the input everyone. Good thing hubs aren't too expensive. Any recommendations on a good STRONG rear hub? The one that broke is a Shimano M495.
    As Treetrimmer and ImaKlyde stated, a King hub will tolerate your weight. I only weigh 260, but I am an avid weightlifter with big legs and the Kings have held up great. I beat the crap out of my bikes with my riding style too-taking 5 foot drops to flat, occasional downhilling/gravity parks, and my riding style tends to be "through" as opposed to "over" or "around". Haha.

Not sure of your weight but if you go with the Kings, you may want to upgrade to the Stainless cassette/hub body. This makes a strong hub even stronger. I am still using the aluminum body with no problems, other than your typical indentations from the cassette.

King hubs (like any well-designed product) aren't cheap, but knowing that I won't be walking my bike off the trail is worth every extra penny!

-DL
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for the input everyone, I'm going to have that one replaced for free because it's under warantee. Also, the guy at the LBS misdiagnosed my problem and cost me a trip out and a day of mountain biking, so he is doing the work for free. We'll see how the new one holds up.

mtbr member
    Hey big man, which LBS are you going to?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Pm'd you, FatCorey

mtbr member
    Responded. If you want to ride let me know. I'll be out there SUnday after church I think.