mtbr member
    May 2011

I broke my Crank arm, need new crankset ?'s Road cranks maybe

I ride my MTB mostly on the road, I was using the stock Sun Tour 175 mm Octilink and one of the arms snapped off. So I am wondering what I should buy. I ordered some used Shimano 180 mm 7700 Road cranks to get me by while I decide.

I only need 1 chain ring but like to run 50 to 53 chain ring, should I stick with a road crank or can I find something else that is better or as stiff?

I was looking at buying a Shimano 7800 180mm these have the outside bearing setup, or 200 mm 110 bcd with square taper BB. Or should I stay with the Octilink?

{ EDIT } - I am looking at a MTB Truvative 180mm single Ring setup OCT model, how good is that or tough? How are Road bike CRanks different from MTB in build so forth.

I want a stiff tough setup that is the major factor for me.

Any input would be of great help, Thankyou!
    Last edited by Realslowww; 11-24-2013 at 06:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Where did it snap? Which part?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The arm broke off at the bottom on the non drive side.

According to the shop that looked at it they said it developed a small crack a while back in the middle and over time the stress just snapped it off. I have problems keeping drives from breaking some how or another.

mtbr member
    I snapped one in the middle of the arm this summer. One of things that I came away from that experience learning was that not only is this less likely to happen with an outboard bearing unit, but that it'll be stiffer as well. Now knowing that, I'm looking to eventually convert my fleet over to outboard bearing units.

BTW, I was REALLY glad I only bruised the inside of my thigh. Mine snapped while I was out on a short bed and breakfast tour about 50 miles from home. My bike was loaded down with all of both my and my girls gear (so she could travel unloaded) and we stopped at a stop light. Light turns green, I put all my weight (~280) on the left pedal which is in the upright position, so I can take of from a dead stop, and SNAP! I actually saw the pedal and half of a crank arm bounce a couple of times off the ground as all my weight came down onto the top tube. SOOO glad it was my left thigh that hit and not a few inches to the right!
    ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the info, yaa they told me to go to a outboard drive as well.