mtbr member
    Nov 2005

I-Beam Seat/Post vs. Thomson with WTB

After recently replacing my WTB Speed V Comp with bent rails I've been thinking about what my next saddle/post set up should be. I had WTB saddle on for a bit over a season and the rails bent beyond usability. I like the feel of the saddle and replaced it with another of the same (got the cheep OEM one from Jenson for $18). I also have a cheep namless post on right now so I will see how long that lasts.

I though it might be good to figure out what to get next and would like to find something that I don't have to replace once a season. I've heard great things about the Thomson posts but haven't had such great luck with the railed saddles lasting more than a season or so. I'm around 280 right now and have a big frame so I tend to like the wider saddles like the Speed V Comp. I guess the first option would be to go with a Thomson when my current post breaks and live with replacing the saddles once a season or so.

But the engineer in me tends to think the railed saddle system is a bit flawed in its design and we have just stuck with it because it has always been. I'm wondering if the new SDG I-Beam system is a better design. I've seen its being used by downhillers and apears to be holding up well. Any clydes using it and having good luck with it? My concern would be finding a comfy saddle of the limited options out there.

What are your thoughts and experiences with the 2 systems?

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrochris
    After recently replacing my WTB Speed V Comp with bent rails I've been thinking about what my next saddle/post set up should be. I had WTB saddle on for a bit over a season and the rails bent beyond usability. I like the feel of the saddle and replaced it with another of the same (got the cheep OEM one from Jenson for $18). I also have a cheep namless post on right now so I will see how long that lasts.

I though it might be good to figure out what to get next and would like to find something that I don't have to replace once a season. I've heard great things about the Thomson posts but haven't had such great luck with the railed saddles lasting more than a season or so. I'm around 280 right now and have a big frame so I tend to like the wider saddles like the Speed V Comp. I guess the first option would be to go with a Thomson when my current post breaks and live with replacing the saddles once a season or so.

But the engineer in me tends to think the railed saddle system is a bit flawed in its design and we have just stuck with it because it has always been. I'm wondering if the new SDG I-Beam system is a better design. I've seen its being used by downhillers and apears to be holding up well. Any clydes using it and having good luck with it? My concern would be finding a comfy saddle of the limited options out there.

What are your thoughts and experiences with the 2 systems?
    I've had the same problems with seat rails bending, my newest seat is the wtb Devo, so far so good 5-6 rides. I heard that Ti rails bend easier then the cheaper chrome moly but not all seats come with the chrome. I'm also experimenting with not over tightening the seat clamp and not setting it too far forward or back. check out the Devo, its alot more comfortable than it looks

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    i know this is a bit late but i have been using the sdg i beam set up for over a year with no problems. i weigh in just over 280 pounds and no problems yet. my setup is the cheap OE setup. i am building a new bike right now and it will be sdg i beam with a bel air st seat.
    john

Brackish
    I have OEM I Beams on both my bikes and I hate them: the rail creates a hard spot down the center which, over any reasonable length ride, completely pounds my gooch into submission. Now both of these are the downhill, couchy style of saddle so I can't vouch for others but I can tell you I am looking to replace mine. Reasonable offers accepted, BTW.