Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Hydration Pack for big guy?

Hello, I was wondering what you tall riders were using for hydration packs? I have been looking around but they all seem so small? Like I'm a giant wearing a tiny backpack? I guess it is what it is but would like some feedback from you guys as to what brands work best. Thanks!

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I'm a decently big guy (6'4" and 310#). I did a bunch of searching before I bought my new pack for something that I could actually use the hip belt on. I ended up with an Osprey Raptor 14. Look toward Osprey for some good options... they seem to fit bigger guys better than some of the other brands.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    My Wingnut has served me well for several seasons. ~6'4" and 260#.
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

beater

My EVOC FR Trail 20L is huge. And long, with a real belt. It's great for big rides, but honestly I'd rather have an Osprey Zealot 16 for most days.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    osprey raptor 14 has been the only pack I've owned (and there have been about 15) where I could use the waist strap... Or where it atually ended up at my waist and no at about nipple-level.

I dont know of any other brands of hydration packs that come in sizes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks for the replies, I plan to go out and look at some today. The Osprey seems to be the front runner but I'm not sure who carries them locally? I was hoping to test fit before I buy. We have a Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, and Mosquito Creek here in town so I'm going shopping today.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Did a store locator for FLA.... they are around... Don't know exactly where you are.

I picked up a '14 the other day. It was that or the Camelback MULE. The 14 was on sale at the local REI for $40-something. Could not pass that up. It's a good pack. Not as many separate pouches as the MULE, but overall, I am happy with it. I like their bladders as well....

turtles make me hot
    I went from a Camelbak Mule to a Hawg. I like it way better.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I love my Osprey. Would not consider using anything else.

mtbr member
    I've tried loads of hydro bags over the years and keep coming back to the deuter bags with the mesh back "aircomfort" they call it. My old Race EXP air is the best bag I ever had, they have a mesh suspension panel that holds the bag off your back. Keeps your back so cool. Bought another deuter without the mesh and it was no good, bought an evoc fr bag, with a "back protector" and hated it with a passion, way too hot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My wife bought me a Camelbak HOSS for Christmas. The thing is massive and weighs a ton, but it fits me well. I just ordered a Camelbak Lobo for shorter rides.
    The bigger you are, the harder you fall.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    I picked up a Lezyne Great Divide pack from my LBS and love it... pretty sure it makes the camelbak mule look like a small bag... I love the overall design of the water bag (has a huge ziplock at the top)... my only crotique would be the bite valve... it sometimes leaks a little and doesn't flow as much as my old Camelbak (as in the one i bought back in 2k), on the plus side the lezyne does have a twist lock on it so I don't get any leaks or anything during transports.

the way the pack is built gives it tons of adjustments and even at my 335lb 6'4ish self it's very comfortable

that being said... if I didn't get it at about 1/2 off (LBS buddy/owner hookup) I prob would have gotten a more basic 3l camelbak
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I just bought a Camelbak Mule. I had it narrowed down, via online shopping, to a mule or a lobo. Went to the LBS to check them out more hands on, and the lobo is TINY. It's about the size of upper arm. Seriously, it's small. People refer to the Mule as a larger pack, but honestly, it's pretty small too. The main difference with the Mule is that you can pack it up a whole lot more. I'm 6'5'', and I don't have a problem with the fit at all, but it's way smaller than my regular backpack. If you're a big around the waist, you may be uncomfortable with the lowers connected, but you could always let them hang.

I would say the main thing is to make sure you get one with chest straps that go up and down along the shoulder straps.....most do. Also, get one that holds more than what you plan on packing. A filled to the max pack is not near as comfy as one loosely packed, and cinched up. It will get rounder on each end, the more you pack it. The Lobo would easily hold what I typically pack, but I have more flexibility with the Mule. Other than that, just make sure you get one with a reputable bladder/bite valve.

Edit: Now is the perfect time to buy btw. 2013's just came in. I just got my Mule2012 or $62.
    Last edited by Treyness; 04-27-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    I would agree, an underpacked pack is much nicer than a stuffed pack... as for size natrually even the big hydration packs aren't going to be super big but they are to hold a bit of stuff and a bunch of water...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    6'5 and 270lbs here. Bought a mule a few years ago and like it. Don't plan to buy another one for a long long time.

mtbr member
    I love my Hydrapak Big Sur.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I am 6' 240lb and I use a camelbak Lobo. Its a MTB specific 100oz pack. Just enough room for my tools/snack/wallet/tube. It actually has more room than a thought but def no wasted space. I love it. Barely notice its on my back.

The camelbak MULE is also a great choice. Just a little bit bigger than the lobo but still smaller than a day pack.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I am 6'8" 300lbs. I just bought an Osprey Talon 11 and the 3L Camelback Resovoir. I was trying on the Camelback Mule and it only rested on my upper back. The sales person at my LBS showed me the Talon. It comes in a m/l size which seemed to run most of the length of my back. Only issue is I can't buckle the waist strap unless I tighten the shoulder straps to the point where the waist strap is above my stomache. Nice pack though, can't wait to try it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Another vote for the Osprey Raptor 14.

mtbr member
    Osprey stuff is top notch but the packs do tend to run on the small size.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Camel back mule. I think it fits fine, plus removing the waist belt is easy. Don't use it. 2l of water is an lot and does bounce around funny on the rough stuff.

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdslw View Post
    Hello, I was wondering what you tall riders were using for hydration packs? I have been looking around but they all seem so small? Like I'm a giant wearing a tiny backpack? I guess it is what it is but would like some feedback from you guys as to what brands work best. Thanks!
    Hydration packs are supposed to be tiny. Carry your water and bare essentials, that's it. Yes they look ridiculously tiny on us big dudes but then I am wearing spandex bike shorts,so what do I care about a back pack?

If you want or need a bigger pack there are several back packs with a hydro bladder in them. Coleman makes a few. They needn't be cycling related to be functional.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

trail projectile

Ergon. Adjustable for longer torsos.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've been rocking a Hill People Gear Tarahumara. It's a pretty cool little pack that disappears once you put it on. MUCH more comfortable than my other hydration packs, except for one that REI used to make that eventually disintegrated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have a thick chest, none of the above fit well except the Wingnut Hyper 2.5. They are hard to find and customer service is non existent. The shoulder straps are way adjustable since the pack rides much lower on the back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast