mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Hub question - 32 or 36 hole

I'm building up a Turner Sultan (29r). I'm 6'2, 220, riding style is xc/am, and I don't really do jumps or drops.

I'll probably go Chris King or Hadley w/ ZTR Flow 29er Rims.

On the front I'll get the 20mm thru axle.

My question is on the rear hub. Based on above info, do you recommend a 32 or 36 hole hub? QR or Thru? Bolt on?

Thanks

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    i'm a lot bigger then you... but if i'm having a set of wheels built they'll be 36h... the weight difference isn't much of a cost for the extra strength...

on the rear i don't see where QR would make a big difference vs the other options...

just my 2psi
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    i'm 32 hole 100% via it be what every type of riding. also here is no real need for anything other than QR unless you are getting into more fr/dh stuff.

as for 32 hole its basically just as strong as 36 hole. i have seen figures on this but cant find them now. its within about 1% strength. but what ever you end up doing make sure its 3 cross lacing. be leave it or not 3 cross is stronger in all accounts than 4 cross lacing even on 36 hole wheels.

Are you gonna eat that?
    I'm 280 and was running XT/Rhynolites with 32 spokes for 2 years before anything broke.

I was running a set of 36h Azonic Outlaws but they were WAY over the top for what I needed.

Now I'm running a set of 32h Industry Nine Enduros and they're holding up great (bloody well should do for what they cost )

Get a decent set of handbuilt wheels and 32h will be more than fine.
    Due to a lack of interest, tomorrow has been canceled

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    I suppose I should mention I ride 29ers... haven't had a prob with the stock 32h on my redline... but it hasn't seen near the thrashing my other bike gets
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Are you gonna eat that?
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson
    I suppose I should mention I ride 29ers... haven't had a prob with the stock 32h on my redline... but it hasn't seen near the thrashing my other bike gets
    Ah yeah, 29" wheels are going to be less rigid than 26" wheels with the same spoke count, all my bikes have 26" wheels.

Well, with the exception of the road bike I'm building
    Due to a lack of interest, tomorrow has been canceled

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    yeah well with 29"ers i could see the point of having 36 spokes. same with Kyoseki i only ride 26" wheels.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hooksworldwide
    My question is on the rear hub. Based on above info, do you recommend a 32 or 36 hole hub? QR or Thru? Bolt on?

I'm 6'3" and around 220 lbs and with my first FS 29er I was using 32 hole Hadley hubs with standard 9 mm QR both front and rear ! The wheels did hold up pretty good ( were built well ) overall !

However , for added strength and stiffness I am having my new wheels built with 36 hole Hadley hubs using a 20 mm TA front ( Larry from MHC informed me the new 09 Hadley front can be converted to 20 mm , 15 mm , or standard 9 mm QR now ) and a 10 mm TA bolt on rear hub ! These wheels are going on a new Sultan as well ! To be honest I doubt I'll ever use standard 9 mm QR again ! TIG.
    " A way to a deep freedom " - Tarja

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TIGMAN
    I'm 6'3" and around 220 lbs and with my first FS 29er I was using 32 hole Hadley hubs with standard 9 mm QR both front and rear ! The wheels did hold up pretty good ( were built well ) overall !

However , for added strength and stiffness I am having my new wheels built with 36 hole Hadley hubs using a 20 mm TA front ( Larry from MHC informed me the new 09 Hadley front can be converted to 20 mm , 15 mm , or standard 9 mm QR now ) and a 10 mm TA bolt on rear hub ! These wheels are going on a new Sultan as well ! To be honest I doubt I'll ever use standard 9 mm QR again ! TIG.
    Thanks to all who replied. I would consider Hadley 36h (rear) laced to WTB's FRDD...but the wtb website shows the FRDD's in 32h only.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Larry from MHC is building up my new 29er wheels using the new Salsa semi disc rims ( 30 mm width ) that come in 36 hole laced to Hadleys ! They also have an even wider and of course heavier rim called the Gordo but for my needs I think the Semi is going to be plenty strong and wide enough ( at least in specs.....I guess I'll see ) ! These rims are not recommended to be used tubeless though some have done it with success from what I hear !

If I wanted to run strictly tubeless I'd probably go with Flows........but I have a very good feeling the semi disc is going to work out real well ! TIG.
    Last edited by TIGMAN; 02-01-2009 at 03:12 PM.
    " A way to a deep freedom " - Tarja