mtbr member
    Oct 2009

How's your weight loss paying off on your rides?

Since bringing down the weight, I've noticed a big difference in my ride record keeping.

Since November, I got 115 personal records, 2 KOM's (although they are VERY silly Strava segments), and made top ten on a handful of segments (not just downhills! ). I've also noticed that I can ride without breaks for a good, solid 1:45 at "training pace" - this was just losing 15lbs! I sucked at my last race - but I just suck at racing, period. I also have never entered a Clydesdale class, so going up against the skinny boys was not smart on my part.

I use Strava to track my progress - I ride 5 days a week, 15-20 miles a ride (usually around 17 miles) and 1000' - 2000' of elevation. I don't get to go on long rides due to my insane work schedule.

So... how are you guys doing? Anybody showing great riding progress through weight loss?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I really noticed it over the Xmas break where I didn't do much riding but way too much eating and drinking. My commute times suffered terribly. Now, I'm back in a normal pattern and my times have dropped noticeably and consistently.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I just started riding regularly around the first of the year. I was way out of shape when I started at 308lbs, and would get winded after 2-3 miles. So far since then I have lost 35lbs down to 273 yesterday and I ride 8-12 miles a day now 5-6 days a week. Are you riding all those miles on a bmx? I ride a kona Scrap DJ, it's my only bike and I really like it for all around riding.

mtbr member
    My ass looks FABULOUS!

I am sure that improves the ride for those behind me

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemaya View Post
    My ass looks FABULOUS!
    Look at my butt! Look at it! Funny stuff.

I just did a 26 mile race on the weekend and finished 6th out of 22 Clydes. My time wasn't all that fast but I had a lot of engine left near the end of the race and that felt great. I've lost about 10 lbs since December and ride 2-3 times per week and commute a couple days as well.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

bust a move
    I am riding faster than I did before but the noticeable differences have come in my ability to accelerate and a huge gain in my ability to climb faster and longer.

I reached my weight goal late last year and now I am focused on learning to live at this weight and maintain.
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

Back of the pack doping.
    I enjoy riding more, and worrying about keeping up less.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Started at 310 and did a big diet and cut out alcohol for a while got down to 275. Been riding 3 times a week minimum for at least 1hr 20min at a time. Ride hard, always trying to set a new PR. Now I'm able to do some serious distance rides up and above 3hr hard riding. My weight now is 290 but I'd attribute that to the amount of muscle I;m adding to my legs.