Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Hows your inseam compare to overall height.

I'm asking here cause alot of clydes tend to be on the tall side.
    I've been playing with my saddle height trying to find a good fit. If I keep it high where its comfortable for xc I feel less stable on technical sections. Lower it and it bugs the knees.

I was curious how I compared to others as far as leg length to height ratio.
    Wondering if I was just oddly proportioned.

I'm 6'-3" (1905) with a 35" (889) inseam.

seeya

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by liltommy
    If I keep it high where its comfortable for xc I feel less stable on technical sections. Lower it and it bugs the knees.
    I think everyone has this problem not just clydes. I hate adjusting my saddle all the time so I founf a position that works well for me. maybe 1/2" lower than it should be. It took some time to get used to but I eventually did.

As far as build i'm the opposite of you. I'm 6' 6" with a 34" inseam. I don't sit as tall as you do, but my bike's so long I can't get around many tight corners

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I am 6'6" and have 34" inseam.

I have to have the seat set higher than I like for tight areas to feel comfortable in regular sections.

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    im 69" with a 42" inseam.

im running the seat as high as it will go without breaking the top of the seattube. and i would still like to run it a little bit higher for the non-technical sections. i think the biggest obstacle of having a high seat is getting behind it and up again on steep descents.

b3n
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    This is an interesting question. I searched something on the net a few weeks ago and I didn't find anything about average man proportions. I'm 6' 1" with 35" inseam. Pretty long legs, I guess.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    6'0" with a 35in inseam. Have to run a long post on a 19in frame. I have broad shoulders and long arms so I usually use a DH riser.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    6'0" with a 35in inseam. Have to run a long post on a 19in frame. I have broad shoulders and long arms so I usually use a DH riser.

Your bike is incorrigible
    I'm 6'2" with a 33" inseam. Actually, I haven't had much trouble with finding a bike that will fit me well. I can use a 19" to 20" bike and feel comfortable. I run my saddle height at 30" (29" on a bad day and 30.5" when I'm on an easy, fast trail). The amazing thing is that not that I don't have trouble with saddle height, but that I don't have trouble with a cramped cockpit. Maybe it's because frame builders are making their frames a little longer than they used to.

Lacticacid head
    6'4 35 inch inseam. I ride a XL GF Sugar race on most trails, Back in the day, I used HiteRites on my Ritchey, and other rigid rides, for that quick drop the saddle on the technical / downhills and a flip of the qr back to full height while still in the saddle. I still have one on my Ritchey, and have a second I am thinking of adapting to my Sugar, the seat tube clamp would have to be bigger is all.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
    www.lacticacidheads.com
    drop in, spin a spell~
    happy trails~

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    aha I have the shortest inseam of you all........32inches and I am 6'3 just try and find someone more proportioned like a gorrilla.....i dare yah

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by langen
    im 69" with a 42" inseam.

im running the seat as high as it will go without breaking the top of the seattube. and i would still like to run it a little bit higher for the non-technical sections. i think the biggest obstacle of having a high seat is getting behind it and up again on steep descents.
    Woah.. And I thought I had troubles with frame sizes! I'm 6'6" with a 40" inseam, and I run a 21.5" frame with a 410mm seat post as far as I dare go. I find the major issue with this is ballance. It seems that the seat angle puts the center of gravity farther and farther back as the seat gets higher, to the point that standing up and leaning way over the bars for relatively easy climbs is nessessary. With my bars 3" lower than my seat and a 120mm stem, 24.5" top tube my balance point is when the front wheel is about 2' off the ground. This means my front end is getting light at only a foot higher than the rear. That's not much of a hill to get me going over backwards with each pedal stroke! Anybody else run into this? I have tried slamming the bar way down low, like 7" lower than the seat with the longest stem possible, but decending was scarry to say the least! It seems like longer cranks would help. Anybody find any long cranks other than the zinn roadie-esque stuff? There is a company in BC, Canada called North Shore Billet that makes CNC'd ISIS cranks, and said that they possibly could build me some long cranks. According to the formulas on the Zinn Cycle website I should be on 210-220mm cranks. Likely I would get something more reasonable like 205, Just so that I don't start running into the chainstays and smacking rocks. I consitered finding a longer shock to raise the rear to compensate, but I think that may have to be custom, as I can only afford about 1/4" longer before the swingarm starts to interfere. But just thinking about it makes me drool... It would put my body about an inch and a quarter lower and farther ahead. That would get more weight up front. Anybody else already find the solution to this problem?

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHyde
    Woah.. And I thought I had troubles with frame sizes! I'm 6'6" with a 40" inseam, and I run a 21.5" frame with a 410mm seat post as far as I dare go. I find the major issue with this is ballance. It seems that the seat angle puts the center of gravity farther and farther back as the seat gets higher, to the point that standing up and leaning way over the bars for relatively easy climbs is nessessary. With my bars 3" lower than my seat and a 120mm stem, 24.5" top tube my balance point is when the front wheel is about 2' off the ground. This means my front end is getting light at only a foot higher than the rear. That's not much of a hill to get me going over backwards with each pedal stroke! Anybody else run into this? I have tried slamming the bar way down low, like 7" lower than the seat with the longest stem possible, but decending was scarry to say the least! It seems like longer cranks would help. Anybody find any long cranks other than the zinn roadie-esque stuff? There is a company in BC, Canada called North Shore Billet that makes CNC'd ISIS cranks, and said that they possibly could build me some long cranks. According to the formulas on the Zinn Cycle website I should be on 210-220mm cranks. Likely I would get something more reasonable like 205, Just so that I don't start running into the chainstays and smacking rocks. I consitered finding a longer shock to raise the rear to compensate, but I think that may have to be custom, as I can only afford about 1/4" longer before the swingarm starts to interfere. But just thinking about it makes me drool... It would put my body about an inch and a quarter lower and farther ahead. That would get more weight up front. Anybody else already find the solution to this problem?
    go custom that way you can get the seat angle as steep as you want. i'm actually waiting for an XXL waltworks 29er frame as we speak - hoping it will arrive this week. 25" seattube and 26" eff toptube. and big wheels of course!

i also think long cranks are a good idea for us tall fellas. enables you to lower your seat in relation to your bars. yey!
    because of somewhat bad knees i think i'll go for 190mm's. http://www.profileracing.com/loader....p&productid=43 have some that supposedly are bomber.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I like to run risers about a inch below the seat so even with me being six feet tall with a 35 inch inseam, running a long post didn't affect the bar/seat relationship for me that much. The biggest issue for me was the seat now being positioned further over the rear wheel which like you made me wheely like crazy on climbs. To me this is the best reason to run 29 inch wheels. I'm 250lbs and now I can grind low gears and not have the front end come up with just shifting my body back ever so slightly.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by abscar
    I like to run risers about a inch below the seat so even with me being six feet tall with a 35 inch inseam, running a long post didn't affect the bar/seat relationship for me that much. The biggest issue for me was the seat now being positioned further over the rear wheel which like you made me wheely like crazy on climbs. To me this is the best reason to run 29 inch wheels. I'm 250lbs and now I can grind low gears and not have the front end come up with just shifting my body back ever so slightly.

I'm 6'2" with 36" inseam and I have to agree about 29ers. On my last 26er I had 13" of seatpost sticking out. My XL 29er fits great, although I have to keep my seat slid back for my monkey arms to be comfortable. No endo's so far at least.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Those profile cranks look great, but is it just me or are those aimed at bikes with 150mm DH rear axles? A six inch spindle would likely put the chainrings in line with the wider back end. And as for custom frame, I'd love to! But I'm a student.... on a mack and cheeze budjet just so I can afford my current bike - which is awesome but still cost less in total than a custom frame. I've been drooling over that Lenz levithan since I seen pics last year of the prototype... man, that would be perfect. Zinn has a wicked all mountain type 29'er too, but that frame alone would be more than four grand by the time I get it into Canada. By the time I get a beefy custom 29er wheelset built I'll really be hurting (and hungry) What we need is more big boys on bikes, then mabee the manufacturers will start paying attention and give the XL frames another inch or so on the chainstays and cranks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm 6'3" with a short inseam as well. Plenty of people have a long trunk like myself. It does make it odd when you sit so far over the bike making it hard to reach the grips. I have a 21" Giant Yukon and it works pretty good.

Team Chilidog!
    5'4" with a 28" inseam. I'm not sure how that is proportionally to everyone else here as I'm female.

Living to ride
    I'm 6ft with a 33" inseam. My main bike is a c dale f400 XL. Good fit for everything except tight areas on the trail. Its a pretty big bike.
    Bob

- '06 Cannondale F400
    - '89 Cannondale SM1000
    - '90 Diamond Back Ascent

Hoss Dee-Lux'n It
    Mar 2005
    6'4" with 33" inseam.

Biking is Okay... but buying a car with a enough head room when your long in the body is a pain in the A.

Badger..badger..badger...
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes
    5'4" with a 28" inseam. I'm not sure how that is proportionally to everyone else here as I'm female.
    Hey, Stripes...We've discussed our heights in PM's, but I don't think I mentioned my inseam. Mine's somewhere between 30-31" (prob. just slightly above 30", but silly me...it's darn hard to measure it by yourself... ).

That may explain why my 17" Trek frame seems comfy to me, even though the general recommended frame size for 5' 4" is usually 15-16".

I know you've said you have actually had to go UNDER the recommended 15-16", because of your inseam, right?

Guess that just goes to show that 2+2 doesn't ALWAYS equal 4!!

Angela

Oh, and get this...my 43 yr. old husband wears 28X28 jeans. This year is the first year since we got married (1993) that he had to go up from a 27 inch waist.

Yes, it does make me jealous!! LOL.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by ruralakay
    Hey, Stripes...We've discussed our heights in PM's, but I don't think I mentioned my inseam. Mine's somewhere between 30-31" (prob. just slightly above 30", but silly me...it's darn hard to measure it by yourself... ).

That may explain why my 17" Trek frame seems comfy to me, even though the general recommended frame size for 5' 4" is usually 15-16".
    Maybe. It's also a matter of me being very top-heavy and having lots of overhang--so I don't like to have my back very extended.

I know you've said you have actually had to go UNDER the recommended 15-16", because of your inseam, right?
    That may have something to do with it. My inseam is the bike inseam measurement, not a tailor measurement

Guess that just goes to show that 2+2 doesn't ALWAYS equal 4!!

Angela
    Absolutely! I meant someone 6'8", so he has problems finding a bike to ride, but for opposite reasons.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I have long legs for my height. I'm around 5'8" tall and I have a 32.5" inseam. Needless to say, it's tough to find a bike that fits me..

I currently ride a medium Turner 5 Spot. There's about 9.5 - 10" of seatpost exposed above the seat tube.

change is good
    Sep 2004

Addendum - I'm a freak

I was just fitted to my road bike by a certified Serrotta technician. I was told by him he has never had anyone with such a long inseam relative to torso length. My inseam is 51.8% of my total height. It seems that the average is 47-48%. So goes the Madone SL, the purchase of a Nashbar special replacement, and the beginning of saving for a custom frame. I do have a semi-custom Ventana courtesy of Sherman which fits me perfectly.

Exactly, Stripes.

And, let me tell you, I get more hot, the more I think about the fact that our LBS sold my husband a bike frame that was way too big for him. Granted, my husband probably should have done more research, back when he bought the Trek (over a decade ago), but the LBS people were supposedly the "experts," and bore the responsibility of saying, "That frame isn't going to fit you. Why don't you let us order you a smaller frame?" As it is, I feel like they were only interested in the sale, not the customer's satisfaction, and they took advantage of his lack of knowledge.

Definitely makes me think twice about using that particular LBS for my FS bike purchase.

OR...maybe what I ought to do is go in and feign ignorance about mtbikes, in general, and see what they try to stick me on....I'll bet it'll be whatever model they are having trouble getting rid of.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast