Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    6-3, 320 # here, riding a Rockhopper 29er comp. I recently bent the hell out of a front wheel and upgraded that. Other than that, I guess I've been lucky, but honestly I'm not jumping, drops, etc...too old for that!

Recently upgraded fork to Reba RL, which is awesome. I'm just going to keep upgrading as I break stuff, so far I'm on the cheap! Knock on wood...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Some of you guys must abuse the hell out of your bike(s) hahahah

I have destroyed my fair share of parts as well but mostly maintenance items, but I have never destroyed a rim or hub like majority of you guys. Broken spokes, chains, bending saddles, and etc.. yeah sure line me up. Even on my old school GT MTB I converted into a SS is still running on its original wheels from 1998..lol.

I think some of you guys are shifting under power and just crashing through stuff instead of being smooth. I could be wrong though.

I also find it interesting that majority of guys who are breaking parts is between 200-240lbs which is funny, unless the big boys just arenít posting.
    Pedaling Gorilla

Toro
    I still ride aggressively but I think you are right. I think I am smarter about shifting and line selection.
    Ricardo aka "El Toro"
    Team Raging Toro
    Toro Page on G+

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    The carnage started today with me busting up both my factory cheapo pedals on my Cannondale Trail 7. I think I should leave the move technical and aggressive trails o my XC bike lol

mtbr member
    While i am just a 240lb cup cake, i don't really break that much stuff. My brother is way lighter than me and kills me when i ride with him because he really crunches his gears alot by shifting under load. I don't really care how big you are, if you ride smooth-ISH, you wont kill your bike and bike parts. Just because we are big doesn't mean you cant ride somewhat graceful.........

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    mrgto has it right! I'm 260 all geared up (if not more) and I really break things that are not defective. I ride pretty hard and quite a few miles a year (over 2000 miles with commuting). I actually rearly wear things out as well. that being said, everyone that I ride with says that I ride very gracefully and smoothly. This results in much lower stress on the parts that I ride. when I ride I even try to softly engage the freehub on my wheel.

Also proper maintenance plays a HUGE role in part failure and wear! This was the #1 cause of part replacement when I worked at a bike shop. Poor maintenance will kill a bike faster than anything else.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    last week the bike ate chain #6 & cassette #2, which had only seen 6 rides. New LBS ( moved to the midwest 3 weeks ago) suggests that the crank/bb may be the problem. It came loose again. grrrr. I also tore a new WTB tire on a root this past saturday and bent my rim, which cracked while it was being straightened. before too long, I will have replaced everything but the frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Broke my chain in the dark on a new trail, and only 20 minutes in to my ride. I did my best to try and fix it, but for some reason the chain seamed really short.......that is because it broke in two spots and I didn't see the 6" of chain laying on the ground until I was ready to leave.

Needless to say I used the sound of the highway to find my way out of the woods that night.

New KMC X10 is on the way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    And a chain gauge too?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Haha...I prob should.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    lets see since january, and maybe 100miles total (not many imo), ive bent the front rim, blown the rear inner tube, and broke the rear hub bolt (the hollow type for a quick release pin). i blame it all on cheap parts and inexperience. i always replace with better parts though and havent had the same problem since!

mtbr member
    6'4", 250lbs. Bent the stock seatpost on my Specialized FSR 29er as well as killed the rear hub. Upgraded post to a Thomson and haven't had any issues since. In the process of getting some Flow EX with CK hubs. Hoping that will solve the wheel issue for me. Stock wheels were pretty flexy also.

mtbr member
    175lbs, I will lose 5-10lbs next Spring as I caught pneumonia this season and was unable to ride!

I have two race bikes, 2 Lefty Flash (29er F C 3 & 26er hi-mod 2).

I prepare my line, my gears before climbing and rarely am hard on the bikes. I take them off road on XC trails and ride fast on tough areas but never wet muck.

In my time with my bikes nothing has gone wrong. Except:-

On a race tandem bike from 1982, chain snapped. I replaced chains, cassette & deraillers as they were never changed! I bought the bike used in 2008. Longest ride 180km.

My motto that works is simple. Clean the chains with WD-40 after each ride & lube as necessary. The bearings are always timely serviced.

The 2011 hi-mod is ready for a major service check-up. My bikes always look new as I am a fanatic to keeping them clean. Including hubs.

Nothing breaks. Sorry, I do try

Toro
    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreet View Post
    175lbs, I will lose 5-10lbs next Spring as I caught pneumonia this season and was unable to ride!

I have two race bikes, 2 Lefty Flash (29er F C 3 & 26er hi-mod 2).

I prepare my line, my gears before climbing and rarely am hard on the bikes. I take them off road on XC trails and ride fast on tough areas but never wet muck.

In my time with my bikes nothing has gone wrong. Except:-

On a race tandem bike from 1982, chain snapped. I replaced chains, cassette & deraillers as they were never changed! I bought the bike used in 2008. Longest ride 180km.

My motto that works is simple. Clean the chains with WD-40 after each ride & lube as necessary. The bearings are always timely serviced.

The 2011 hi-mod is ready for a major service check-up. My bikes always look new as I am a fanatic to keeping them clean. Including hubs.

Nothing breaks. Sorry, I do try
    Don't look now, buddy, but you're not a clyde

Jokes aside, there were many things I did that have reduced my mechanical issues to zero. Smooth pedaling and shifting. Even when picking difficult lines, rocky sections, etc, I am smoother through them. I don't beat up the bike needlessly.

As wallstreet has mentioned, drivetrain maintenance is a big deal. Suspension maintenance is a huge deal. Take care of your equipment and you should be able to ride trouble free.

I just put a bit over 400 miles on a chain and had to replace it. Why? Because I was being a tard and I was crossing the chain too much. Work your gearing and your chains won't wear as fast as mine. That's the last of my bad habits.
    Ricardo aka "El Toro"
    Team Raging Toro
    Toro Page on G+

mtbr member
    Hi-Mod Flash was just serviced. Wear & tear parts changed: chain to Shimano as the SRAM is not long lasting, small 27t front crank missing teeth now new, lubed & super clean

Waiting for 2013 when the snow melts ...

XO front brake went spongy may swap to Hope V2 otherwise never any serious brake problems...

Avid Elixir 9s on my Flash Carbon 3 are running perfectly too

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3