mtbr member
    Feb 2013

How often do you stand and pedal?

Just curious how "bad" it is for the bike. I'm 305# and my bike's recommended weight limit is 300 so I'm just a tad over. I'm assuming that it'll be ok since I'm so close to the "operating weight" but I don't want to damage the crank at all.

mtbr member
    It's unlikely you'll damage the crank; the weight limit is probably mostly for the frame as opposed to the components, standing to pedal is not going to stress the frame more than sitting - it will stress is differently, but not more.

To answer your question though, it depends on the bike. My hardtail, if I stand and pedal it just shoots forward, my suspension bikes don't react like that, so I stand less frequently on those.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

mtbr member
    This kind of makes me wonder..

I had a clicking sound coming from my crank so I took my bike to my LBS and the repair guy said that something had just came a bit loose. A quick tightening and the sound was gone. I asked, was it something I did? He replied with something like "Well, you're a big guy, so I would expect such things to happen".

I am 6'2" about 205lbs. I hope this isn't something I'll have to get fixed regularly.
    2012 Jamis Exile S

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    sounds like the bottom bracket creeking... can be the cups on the BB or the crank to BB bolts came loose... no big deal...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by iamJ4R0N View Post
    I am 6'2" about 205lbs. I hope this isn't something I'll have to get fixed regularly.
    Happens at 180 pounds as well.

Learn to wrench your bikes.
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yep, even with press fit my BB can creek, remove add sme grease creek gone. I am 6' 215 lbs geared. I get alot of seatpost creeking as well and seat rail creeking, drives me nuts.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

Once read an article on the physics involved in bigger skiers carving and jumping. My memory isnt quite photographic, and im to lazy to search it out and link it. The gist of it was that the increase in pounds of force applied to a bigger skiers knees was not linear when compared to a skier of less weight.

The same laws will apply to the pounds of force we clydes put on our bikes. 200+lbs will do evil things to a bike when you ride aggressively. More frequent maintenance intervals are our lot in MTBing.

OP... i stand and crank quite a bit. If you dont want to damage the crank at all, you would have to find a way to never put your feet on the pedals. Bikes are to be ridden. Fix it when it breaks and ride the way you want until that happens.
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Chains, freehub/cassette bodies, bottom brackets & spokes will feel the sting of a clyde outta the seat more than the frame itself. Especially if you're really pumping side to side!

I generally only stand when I really gotta power over an object during a climb, then I return to seated immediately after clearing it.

I've snapped a few chains while seated. I was really glad I wasn't standing when they went! (as do my boys)
    Klein Attitude XX
    Santa Cruz Heckler 6.1
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Surly Moonlander

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    what hurts worse is when 200 plus lbs goes from 15 to zero in a hell of a hurry, my bike usually comes out fine I on the other hand tend to receive the brunt of the sudden stop.
    Physics sucks as does gravity, all that object in motion tend to want to stay in motion **** LOL. I thank the guy who made the camel back every time I happen to have a mishap and roll on my spine and the camelback take the impact like a giant water filled airbag, wait a tick it is a giant water filled bag, well at least it serves two purposes.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    what hurts worse is when 200 plus lbs goes from 15 to zero in a hell of a hurry, my bike usually comes out fine I on the other hand tend to receive the brunt of the sudden stop.
    Physics sucks as does gravity, all that object in motion tend to want to stay in motion **** LOL. I thank the guy who made the camel back every time I happen to have a mishap and roll on my spine and the camelback take the impact like a giant water filled airbag, wait a tick it is a giant water filled bag, well at least it serves two purposes.
    Camelbaks are great for endo's!

On sort of a side note, when I first started riding, I read an article by a trainer for a professional race team (may have been road biking) that basically said in general, big riders should sit and spin, while the smaller guys should stand and mash. Obviously there are exceptions, and sometimes you have no choice but to stand and give it heck, but I have always followed this "rule".

^ on a long climb yea perhaps. On rollers (terrain undulations up to 100') i tend to stand and mash to maintain momentum as i crest. I ride with guys 50-80 pounds lighter than i am, if i spin out every uphill on a ride id be left in the dust.
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by gfs69 View Post
    Camelbaks are great for endo's!

On sort of a side note, when I first started riding, I read an article by a trainer for a professional race team (may have been road biking) that basically said in general, big riders should sit and spin, while the smaller guys should stand and mash. Obviously there are exceptions, and sometimes you have no choice but to stand and give it heck, but I have always followed this "rule".
    My knees, especially my right knee, really like that rule too!
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!