mtbr member
    Aug 2007

how much bob is too much?

I have a new chumba xcl. I have been trying to dial in the DHX on the rear end. When I am riding up even moderate hills the shock moves 1/4- 3/8" with each pedal stroke. Is that what I should expect or is that "a lot" of bob. On my old trek ex 8 it seemed about the same, but I was hoping for better.
    thanks

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    There is no such thing as too much Bob.
    [SIZE=1]"The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Good job!

well done.

Fat guy on a bike
    Thats fine. A little bob is good. heh.

Former Bike Wrench
    The Chumba uses a Horst Link (FSR) suspension which is unaffected by chain torque. Having owned a Specialized FSR before Pro-Pedal shocks, I can tell you that they will bob from an uneven pedaling stroke. Basically, the suspension is very "active" so that the motion of your body when pedaling can actually move the shock. If you are pushing big gears up a hill...even siting...it is likely that your putting a lot of "body english" into your pedal stroke so 1/4" of shock movement is not excessive. If you want to reduce this you have two options. One is to increase the Pro-Pedal settting so it takes more to get the shock moving. Of course this will decrease the sensitivity of the suspension for smaller impacts and bumps. Or, you could work on a smooth high cadence pedal stroke (ala Lance) and this will probably eliminate most of the bob.

Me personally, I'm a bit of a pedal masher myself on climbs so I just either live with the 1/4" of movement or I increase my Pro-Pedal (Actually I have a X-Fusion 02 PVA so I increase my Power Valve setting).

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bob
    There is no such thing as too much Bob.
    true dat.....says me a Bob too
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days