Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    I use all 4, tried using two but got sick of crushing the other two. Maybe i need to make some adjustments hell i don't know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Juicy 7 - 1 finger
    Juicy 3 - 2 fingers ( really sucky brakes )
    Saint 810 - 1 finger
    BB7 - 1 finger
    Deore m575 - 1 finger
    Hope V2 - hopefully 1 finger

203 front always. 260lb geared.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    One finger on mechanical discs (Avid BB7s). Works without a problem. The advantages of index finger braking for me is twofold: 1) those last three fingers on the bar (as opposed to just pinky and ring finger) make a HUGE difference in control and 2) it helps me keep my hands out at the ends of the bars where they should be. With two fingers on the brakes, I tend to slide my hands in a little and that means control loss.

Iíve only started one finger braking in the last few months, so I still need to be conscious of it. But for such a small thing, itís made a big improvement in my riding.

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougalicious View Post
    I use all 4, tried using two but got sick of crushing the other two. Maybe i need to make some adjustments hell i don't know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    I tend to do the same thing! I am trying to go back to keeping all 4 over the grips and the brake lever but find it is a much more secure feeling to keep all 4 on the grips, especially on a bumpy downhill. But then how to brake?

I stopped keeping all 4 fingers, and braking with all 4 on my last mountain bike with hydraulic brakes...grip thebrakes hard with all 4 and over the bars you go!

So I got into the practice of braking with 2 fingers. On my trance there was room enough to stop the bike and not mash my fingers. On my mechanical brakes with this bike I find myself still braking with 2 fingers and mashing the other 2. Which also limits braking ability. Not a good thing in 2 ways!
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    On my disc brake bike I only use one finger, but on my cable brake bike I use two fingers.

When I'm nervous and I'm about to crash I use every finger I can.
    Pedaling Gorilla

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    330 lbs, BB7's with 203 rotors front and back. 1 finger. Helps A LOT to keep them adjusted correctly.

mtbr member
    Position the levers toward the center and place your index finger at the end of the lever: you'll have much more leverage and the power of just the index finger will suffice, if your brakes are any good.

When you give one-finger braking a try, it's important to actually move the levers, because if you do it with the finger in the mid-part of the lever, it'll take a lot more effort to pull the lever.

If it doesn't work for you, move the levers a bit towards the handlebar ends and use two fingers.

Another benefit of proper placement of the lever is that the other fingers won't be in the way (crushed) even if the brakes are set to engage with the lever close to the bar.
    Last edited by Saul Lumikko; 11-30-2012 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Edited to make different points more clear.

mtbr member
    I've always been a 2 finger braker, even in the old cantilever days.
    I guess after riding for around 18 years it's become habit haha

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Xt v brakes and only need 1 finger. 240#. Xo hydros and only need 1, a lot easier than the v's but both only need 1 finger.

mtbr member
    Magura MT 2's. I only use my middle fingers. Does anyone else do this?

mtbr member
    Not exactly, I use 2 but it's the middle finger doing the work. I have way more range of motion using middle+index together than just index, very uncomfortable using just index. In 27+ years mtbing, can't recall ever losing control of the bar from lack of grip with the other 2 plus thumb, even on Ergon grips which some whine about "death grip" issues.

Quote Originally Posted by broccoli rob View Post
    Magura MT 2's. I only use my middle fingers. Does anyone else do this?

mtbr member
    BR-M666 SLX and only one finger in use...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    1 finger on Zee brakes on my DHR with 203/203

1 finger on XTR Race levers / SLX calipers on my Nomadc with 203/180

Go!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails how many fingers do you use for braking?-image.jpg  

enV
    don't lose your adventure
    Mostly 2 fingers, sometimes 1.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 4nbstd View Post
    Unless I have to come to a sudden stop from a high speed, I use 1 finger. 220 lb on rigid with BB7.
    Same exact scenario for me as well

-E

mtbr member
    The less figners you have on the lever the more grip and control you have on the bars, adjust your break levers over and adjust the throw in and try and get used to 2 fingers. Then get down to one if you can, hydro brakes makes it easy to single finger brake. Even most high end mechanical brakes feel good with one finger, but start with two then build your confidence up.

230lbs on avid elixer 5's
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Hope X2's - 1 finger is plenty. And as Saul Lamikko said, adjust the brakes toward the center so you're pulling on the end of the lever. For those of you that say you smash your other fingers when braking, this is the solution for you as well...also adjusting them properly so you don't bottom them out on hard braking.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I use to brake with middle and ring finger. I have moved my levers and now use index and middle finger. but it has always been 2 fingers no matter the brake.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2