mtbr member
    Aug 2012

how many clydesdales are riding in the Sea Otter?

I am heading down, going to race in the clydesdale class... anybody else?

my first race. should be interesting... 16.1 miles and 2800 feet of climbing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I raced clydesdale last year and had a blast. It was my first race also. The course (at least last year) wasn't technical at all, but was still a fun ride. The last climbs were the worst if I remember right...long boring fireroad climbs. My goal this year is to be fast enough to make it to the last climb before the free beer runs out!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    we should meet up! I some how need to get more climbing in, my rides right now, have no where near this amount.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I am way South of you in SoCal. My son and I camped at the last sea otter and are planning to do the same this time. Are you going to camp or stay in a hotel? Feel free to PM me closer to the date.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Last year I raced the "C" class, but this year I'll be racing the Clydesdale "C" class. By my time last year, I would've finished mid pack if I was in the Clydesdale class. I'm a "small" Clyde, and I've gotten much faster, so I'm excited to see how I do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I am 230 lbs right now... been getting faster. I am not sure how to build up to that much climbing though, 2800 ft of climbing in 16.1 miles is way more than I have around my area. Still looking forward to it also.

Is this thing on?
    Here is my take on the Sea Otter, it is a fun race and more about fun than racing. I say that because the fields are so large that unless you are very fast and at the front it is hard to actually race. Don't get me wrong, by all means do it, it is a fantastic race in a cool place at about the biggest cycling event in the country. I did it this year for the first time in many years and the first time I was in something resembling good shape. I raced cat 'C' Clydesdale, I'm 225 and 47 years old. As others have said the course isn't very technical and it doesn't change much from year to year. I went into the race thinking I needed to really pace myself on the single track climbs so I'd have something left for the long fireroad climb at the end. It turned out that because of the huge field I couldn't pass on the single track climbs, they were just huge conga lines. If I passed a couple people, there were 20 more ahead so it was a slow steady climb. I wicked it up on the fireroads and when I got to the finish I still had plenty of energy, even with the long climb at the end. I ended up finishing 12th, which is still a stunning result for me. So I wouldn't worry to much about the climbing as they are mostly a slow steady kind of thing. If you are reasonably fit the course isn't very tough.

Next year I'm going to race cat 'B' Clydesdales, mostly because I want to race the longer course. I'm quite a bit faster now than the Sea Otter this year but I'd be surprised if did do as well next year. There are some mighty fast guys in the Clydesdale class B or C. Bottom line is sign up and do it, it is a blast.

Is this thing on?
    Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    we should meet up! I some how need to get more climbing in, my rides right now, have no where near this amount.
    Ride what you got over and over and over and over again. Boring but it'll help.

I am 230 lbs right now... been getting faster. I am not sure how to build up to that much climbing though, 2800 ft of climbing in 16.1 miles is way more than I have around my area. Still looking forward to it also.
    The other way would be to ride further 20-25 miles, that way you'll be able to push up the hills faster on a shorter distance.

You might try a local race to see what its like. I did and it helped a bunch. Knowing what to expect helped with the pre-race nerves and I learned a little about how hard I can push myself while still making it to the finish.

Dion and I (Skull & Crossbones) at the finish, good times!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails how many clydesdales are riding in the Sea Otter?-seaotterfinish.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Agreed with everything my Partner in Clyde (Froride1 = Ken) had to say. It's 2,800ft. but it sure doesn't feel like it. When I climb 2,800ft. on my local trails, I feel like I've climbed 2,800ft. At SeaOtter, I didn't feel it as bad, maybe because things are more gradual.

I'm excited to race my appropriate class next year. What Ken says is that, since the Clydes start last, every person you pass is a step up. Last year I didn't know who I was racing or what place I was in. The fields are so big, you get really lost at times in terms of your standing.

But, I wouldn't take it seriously. Like Ken said, it's more about glitz and show than local races - which end up being serious battles. People from all over the country will show to this - I even battled it out with a guy from Japan last year.

Just do it! There are a lot of fast Clydes, so I'm just going to roll out, survive, and try my best. That's what this race is about.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I am heading down, going to race in the clydesdale class... anybody else?

my first race. should be interesting... 16.1 miles and 2800 feet of climbing.
    Ken and I will be doing some recon rides soon. I want to get familiar with some areas that were covered in fog last year and I had a hard time navigating through it. Where do you live? Maybe we can all ride together on a recon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Ken and I will be doing some recon rides soon. I want to get familiar with some areas that were covered in fog last year and I had a hard time navigating through it. Where do you live? Maybe we can all ride together on a recon.
    I live in Oregon but, my wifes family lives down in santa cruz... and my family is from santa clara.

I would love to set something up! my wife and I are always down for a trip down there. When are you guys thinking?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I live in Oregon but, my wifes family lives down in santa cruz... and my family is from santa clara.

I would love to set something up! my wife and I are always down for a trip down there. When are you guys thinking?
    Anytime, man. I ride daily!

We ride all the time. Let us know!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    do you guys live really close to the area? I can always talk her into a trip down, especially if I get my daughter to stay with grandma lol

funny, just read through your blog and I have been considering a on one 29er... I really want a steel frame bike, I have a trek 8500 right now with full xt.

Is this thing on?
    We both are in the Bay area so is it a hour+ drive down to Laguna Seca. We did one pre-ride last year and it helped me a lot. I also did the MTB Gran Fondo the day before the race. I'm sure we'll do at least one pre-ride for next year. Check the Nor-Cal forum for rides or let us know when you'll be up and we'll setup a ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    its roughly a 9 ish or more hour drive... ill see what I can work on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    OCRider - Sea Otter Classic 2011 - YouTube

is this the race course for the cat 3? or was gran fondo a totally different course? around min 7 it starts the race

Is this thing on?
    The cat 3 race course is a shortened version of the Gran Fondo and cat 1/2 course. The video shows the longer course, at the end of the single track at the 14:00 muniute mark you turn right instead of left and up Three Sisters. I sent you a PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    sounds good, thanks! I talked a buddy into coming down also, so he is going to race in the clydesdale event. should be a good time. I was told to bring some cash, the expo has some great deals?

mtbr member
    I'm hoping to finally make it down to SO this time.
    I've only raced 1 local race (Arcata,CA) but never thought of really racing.
    I'm planning on racing in the Spring Thaw in Ashland with a friend who seems determined to have me race Cat 3?

I still have to figure out all the official racing registration, how and where to do it...

If I make it to SO, I'd really look forward to meeting folks from here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    spring thaw is only a few hours from me... got any info on that race?

Vincit qui patitur
    I'll be there.
    Just not too sure if Cat2 or Cat3.
    Should know by the end of the month as to how I'm progressing with my training rides.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL