Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rollin' on 29s!

How many clydes running 32 spokes?

How many of you guys are running 32 spoke wheels?

I'm about 275 lbs, and have been looking at 29er wheelsets. What I want as a bomb proof set is Hope Pro 2 hubs, and Rhyno Lites 36 spoke hole rims with DT Swiss comp double butted spokes. I think that is would be a great wheelset for me.

HOWEVER, I've found a really great deal on a set for sale that is everything as above, but uses the 32 hole WTB Dual Duty FR Rim. I know this rim is also highly recommended for us big guys, but am wondering how I would do with the 32 spokes. I ride singletrack, switchbacks with roots and some small rocks, nothing too extreme. No log piles or drops (yet).

So my fellow clydes, what do you think? I can save close to $200 on the 32 spoke wheelset. Think it will work for me? (Hopefully my weight will keep going down. I'm down from 330, and was at 260, but have been backsliding).

Thanks for the advice!

mtbr member
    Im a clyde at 275, and I have never had a problem with 32 hole wheels. I just have a tendency to destroy bearings. But my last wheelset were XT hubs with Sun Rhyno lite hoops, and they lasted, staying true except for the usual amout of truing needed due to sloppy lines, and general whoops moments, for the better part of 3 years. I jsut replaced them with chris kings, and sun rhyno lites. See the new wheels for my 06 heckler thread in the santa cruz forum.

Former Bike Wrench
    Modern rims do not need 36 spokes, even extreme situations like freeride and downhill wheelsets mostly have 32 spokes or less (Mavic DeeMax have 28 for instance). Sure there are some 36 spoke wheelsets still being made, but for the most part they are overkill. Build quality is 100x more important than 32 vs 36 spokes. I'm 230 and have been riding 32 spoke wheels (or less, Mavic Crossrocs with 24 spokes!) as XC and All Mountain for years...no problems.

Captain Underpants
    All things being equal (components/build), 36 h wheelsets are around 10% stronger than 32h, according to Sheldon Brown. I'll take Sheldon's opinion over anyone elses, anyday.

To OP: I'd think that the set you mention would probably be OK. Good rims/hubs/spokes, I'm guessing that it would work for you, given what you ride. I say go for it.

I run 36h, and have run as low as 28 . . . but prefer 36h for the additional strength.

Double-metric mtb man
    I'm somewhere in the 230lb range and have been running the stock 28 hole wheels that came on my ride for the last 2500 km. Not real issues to this point, but I'll likely do some hub maintenance and re-tensioning in the not too distant future.

28 will work, but my next set is going to be 32 hole. 36 is a little overkill unless you're doing big stuff (and even then it is debatable) as my 28's have been handling fairly aggressive riding, including sub-5' of air.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    220 lbs here... run 32s without issue...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Ok. I know it's not 29ers but I'm 300-ish and recently blew up my azonic outlaw rear (36h) and got a Mavic 32h deetracks. I do nothing but singletrack(3 times aweek) and so far have 4 full downhill days on it with nothing but scratch's!

Rollin' on 29s!
    Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the 32 spoke wheelset. I think I was just worrying about it a bit too much. I mean, i was doing fine on the stock 28H set, before I endoed, and twisted the front wheel. This hand built wheelset should be MUCH stronger than the stock lightweight factory set. For the type of riding I do, I think they will be fine.

Plus, it comes with some sweet red Hope Pro 2 hubs. I really wanted blue, but red will be cool to. Can't wait, hopefully I'll have them sometime next week.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    All things being equal (components/build), 36 h wheelsets are around 10% stronger than 32h, according to Sheldon Brown. I'll take Sheldon's opinion over anyone elses, anyday.
    I don't see where anyone was questioning if a 36 spoke wheel is stronger...just whether or not it is needed for a 275lbs Clyde

Klydesdale
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Modern rims do not need 36 spokes, even extreme situations like freeride and downhill wheelsets mostly have 32 spokes or less (Mavic DeeMax have 28 for instance). Sure there are some 36 spoke wheelsets still being made, but for the most part they are overkill. Build quality is 100x more important than 32 vs 36 spokes. I'm 230 and have been riding 32 spoke wheels (or less, Mavic Crossrocs with 24 spokes!) as XC and All Mountain for years...no problems.
    How many of those wheelsets have been 29" ones? That's what the OP was asking about.

I'm 250 lbs and have not had a problem with 32 spoke 26" wheels since I learned to build, tension and stress-relieve them properly over ten years ago. But on the first set of 32 spoke 29" wheels I built, the front one got tweaked within the first six months I was riding it and I'm not sure when it happened. I can't remember the last time I tweaked a 26" front wheel. Interestingly, my other 29er wheels, which are 36 spoke are still as true as the day I built them.

For a 275 lb guy, I'd highly recommend 36 spokes for 29er wheels as would lots of other wheelbuilders.

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    I don't see where anyone was questioning if a 36 spoke wheel is stronger...just whether or not it is needed for a 275lbs Clyde
    OP compared the two in his original post . . . thus my comment. OP also had posted previously on the topic. Therefore, my comment fits the overall context of the discussion.

And to be honest, as a former 278 lb clyde, I think 36h are preferred for 29" Clyde wheelsets--but of course it is dependent on terrain, riding style, rider weight, wheel build, and the alignment of the planets. I've ridden handbuilt 32h (own a set), but will take 36h over 32h anyday.

Rollin' on 29s!
    Yeah, I agree 36H would have been better, especially for 29" wheels. But, this deal was just too good, getting everything hand built for about $400, and I'll have them Tuesday!

I've been going around and around on wheels until my head is spinning. I'll just be glad to get them and do some riding before the season here in Michigan is over. Somewhat of a gamble I suppose, but I'll just have to see how these hold up. Hopefully I'll keep dropping weight over winter, and "shrink into" these wheels.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you got a pretty sweet and strong set up for a great price. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    cool... I ride 32 spoke now and its fine. I plan on 36 probably with a 29er setup when I make the switch, and I'm only 230... "preventative maintence" but yes overkill... Ruining rims can get expensive

Beer it does a body good!

yes and no

I have both 32 and 36 spoke wheelsets. I can tell a slight diffrence. The 36 are stiffer, that is compairing 32 and 36 spoke both 3x salsa degado cross 700 c or 29er wheelsets all else the same. I have other wheelsets but the compairing un -like wheelsets will not give any help.

BTW 270lbs
    I never met a cyclist, that I could not learn from!

Big G
    Winner of the Gnome Fest Quattro Home brew contest

Brackish
    I've had both, and I tend to favor 36s for my park and FR bikes but with that being said I've never had a problem with a decent 32h wheelset. Had those Dual Dutys come OEM on a wheelset a couple of years ago, too, and they were bombproof.

I Ride for Donuts
    I'm only 210lbs and I bend 32 spoke wheels every time I buy them (translation = twice). 36 is mandatory for me. My last purchase was XT hubs with Rhyno Lites and I'm completely impressed. Never tweaked them even slightly. I'd definately steer away from 32's based on my experience.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Glad to Be Alive
    no way in hell if I am a clyde ryder would I get 32 spokes on a 29er.....too much stress
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Klydesdale
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepro
    Yeah, I agree 36H would have been better, especially for 29" wheels. But, this deal was just too good, getting everything hand built for about $400, and I'll have them Tuesday!

I've been going around and around on wheels until my head is spinning. I'll just be glad to get them and do some riding before the season here in Michigan is over. Somewhat of a gamble I suppose, but I'll just have to see how these hold up. Hopefully I'll keep dropping weight over winter, and "shrink into" these wheels.

Don't fret too much about the 32 spoke wheels. Those WTB Dual Duty FR rims are pretty beefy and I'm sure they'll hold up better than the ones that came with your bike.

What's this "before the season here in Michigan is over" stuff? 29 inch tires rock in the snow. The best thing I ever did for losing weight and keep in shape over the winter was to buy some warmer riding clothes and keep hitting the trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    anyone used the stans hubs with the extended flanges? Wondering if these stiffen/strengthen up things a little...

banned
    Hell Dude, I'm 285lbs before gear and ride Salsa Delgado Disc laced to CK hubs on my 29er (32 hole) and Spinergy Enduro disc on my Moto-lite and they haven't given me any problems. With the proper build 32 hole will be fine

mtbr member
    Considering I am down to 230lbs w/o gear and rider 24 spoke Crossmax SL, I wouldn't have an issue riding 32 spoke 29er wheels. However, I ride every bike like it's a rigid, and I despise increasing rotational mass (hence why I am not a 29er fan for my own bikes). So, would I do it? Absolutely.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Rollin' on 29s!
    Well, I get my wheels tomorrow!!! So, I'll be able to finally try them out. I think they are going to be fine for me. Are the the strongest possible? No. But, they are tough and were really well hand built, so I think they are going to be way superior. Weather looks good for tomorrow too! Already got my cassette and rotors off the old rims, so I should be able to change over pretty quick.

LOL, actually one of the main reasons I got the mountain bike was to extend my riding season as far as possible. I find road biking anywhere below 50 degrees pretty tough, since you are out in the open and going about 20 mph. Plus, I don't like to do it in nasty wet weather. I figure the mountain bike will be more comfortable since the speeds will be lower, and I'll be in the woods in some cover. Plus, it's much more suited to wet and messy weather. I might need to get some different tires though, I'm not sure how the stockers will do in the wet stuff. Just have to see.

I'm pretty psyched to get back in the mtb saddle. I will be really curious to see how different these hubs and wheels feel over the stockers.

Quote Originally Posted by klydesdale
    Don't fret too much about the 32 spoke wheels. Those WTB Dual Duty FR rims are pretty beefy and I'm sure they'll hold up better than the ones that came with your bike.

What's this "before the season here in Michigan is over" stuff? 29 inch tires rock in the snow. The best thing I ever did for losing weight and keep in shape over the winter was to buy some warmer riding clothes and keep hitting the trails.

Rollin' on 29s!
    Well, so far I can say these wheels are great! Very well built, and very sturdy. I like their wider footprint, seems to suit the tires a bit better. It's harder to get the tires on, had to use levers to lift the last few inches of the bead over the rim, but not really a problem. In fact, I'd call it a plus that the tire fits the rim tightly.

Only complaint I have about them is the rim tape was not put on very well. Some of the spoke holes are not completely covered. I was impatient, and didn't have any suitable tape, so I just mounted the tires as is, but I'll probably redo it shortly, because I don't want the tube poking down into the spoke holes and flatting on me.

The Hope Pro II hubs are nice! They are certainly loud, but I kind of like it. Clack clack clack clack! I got them in red, and it looks pretty cool on the bike. Also, the DT Swiss comp butted spokes appear very high quality. They just feel solid and strong. When I compare these to my old factory built wheels, its a joke. Those spokes are thin, and don't feel tight or tensioned at all. Lesson learned, hand built is the way to go! (Or at least retension all the spokes on a factory built set is a must).

These wheels aren't lightweight, but neither am I. I didn't perceive their weight as a problem on my ride, so I'm not worried about it. They are stiffer than the old wheels, and I was kind of surprised that I could actually feel a difference on the trail. They feel more planted and stable. I think I need better tires though, the stock Bontragers seem to clog with mud. I was a bit chicken on the trails yesterday. Just didn't feel confident because the conditions weren't that great for these tires, (and maybe still gun shy from my last endo :-o ). I'll probably pick up some tires that will be better suited to the wetter trail conditions this time of year, I'm sure that will make a big difference.

mtbr member
    After working in a Trek shop for a while, I inadvertently found myself riding nothing but Bontrager wheelsets, with one exception. I have some late 90's Chris King Race Lites on my hardtail (24 front, 28 back I think?), brand new Race Discs on my dual suspension, Race Lites on my road bike, and I think it's a Select wheelset on my Fisher Triton. The only bike I have with a traditional wheel is my commuter/beater, which has 36 spoke wheels, with a 3 leading/3 trailing pattern on the front wheel. I've never had any problems with any of my wheels. I'm about 280lbs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast