Big Boy

How light is too light for a clyde wheelset?

Getting a new set of wheels for my anthem 29er. mostly do xc riding with no drops bigger than a foot or two. I weigh about 255# currently. Budget around 800$

The main set i have been looking at is the american classic all mountain wheelset. They are advertised as all mountain but are lighter than most xc wheels i have seen. Any big guys got experience with these wheels? I want a set of wheels to ride xc but my weight makes me think i need a "trail" or "all mountain" set to be safe, and this set is pretty lightweight.

Also looking at easton ea90xc wheels because they have a two year no questions asked warranty, but they are narrower, shallower, heavier, fewer spokes, and more expensive.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    at that budget I would talk to a good wheelbuilder and see what they think...

with that kind of cash i'd do king rear hub, hope convertable up front (can goto a 20mm or 15mm down the road if you want), laced with brass nipples and DT comp DB spokes and pretty much your choice of rim...

your wheels can be serviced anywhere you want and will prob be stronger then any of those prebuilt wheelsets
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson View Post

with that kind of cash i'd do king rear hub, hope convertable up front (can goto a 20mm or 15mm down the road if you want), laced with brass nipples and DT comp DB spokes and pretty much your choice of rim...

your wheels can be serviced anywhere you want and will prob be stronger then any of those prebuilt wheelsets
    +1

OP: you may want to cross post this in the wheels and tires forum and you'll get good feedback on custom builders

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    on a side note... my last rig was built up with hope 36h XC hubs, DT DB spokes, brass nipples and salsa delgado cross rims... even at 300# they where great... rode them for a few years and rarely had to true them... I wish the rims where a little wider but wouldn't hessitate to have the same type of wheels built up again
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Big Boy

I did consider this, but i think the ac set would be quite a bit lighter than the sets i was considering. a hope/ flow set is around 250 grams more.

I guess my main question is are there any big guys riding this wheelset that can comment on its strength and durability under a heavyweight?

EDIT: BTW welcome back!!!
    I might end up getting a custom set, but these would likely be cheaper and lighter, so why not if they are strong enough.

@adelorenzo
    No experience but I'd ride those AMs without a second thought at 6-6, 225. Easton Havens are another option.... 100g heavier, same price range.

I was looking at the AMs and decided on the Havens for my new all-mountain hardtail. Will be doing more aggressive riding on them.

FKA Malibu412
    I would add to this Stans Flows. Good trail-to-am hoop for 250+lbrs. Your budget should work for this combo.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

Big Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    I would add to this Stans Flows. Good trail-to-am hoop for 250+lbrs. Your budget should work for this combo.
    Yeah, I have considered that combo, but if the AC wheels are just as strong and 300 grams lighter i would rather buy them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    +1 on the Flows. I am running the Flows tubeless. I am 250 rtr. I had mine custom built. I am running DT240s on front and rear. Not the most bomber hubs, but I ride pretty smooth most of the time. I thought about the Arch rims to save some weight, but I can take more drops with these Flow wheels without worry cause the weight range is higher. They could be lighter, but I am not a racer so it does not matter to me that much. These are bullet proof and pretty darn light.

I have also had very good luck with the Chris King hub set. Very light and super cool. With your budget you could build a really nice set of wheels. Have fun with it!

mtbr member
    I would try the American Classics. Most people here will always recommend flows for us clydes but depending on your trails you might not need them.

@adelorenzo
    If you want to go light build Flows with Sapim CX-Ray spokes. Strongest, lightest build you can get. (Big $$$ for the spokes though)

That's the setup on my singlespeed, laced to some Phil Wood hubs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm also interested in this thread. I'm 240 lbs.- currently using a Token hub/Wheelsmith DB14/DT allow nipple/Velocity Blunt SL wheelset on my XTC 29er. Very happy with it so far but I'm planning on building up a FS 29er and I looking for more feedback regarding the AC wheels. I keep my wheels on the ground most of the time. I hope there are some actual users out there.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I am 6'2" @ 220lbs. my current set up is Stans Crest with Hope Evo Pro 2 hubs, DT single butted spokes. 3 cross 32 hole. No problems, but i am not a big jumper. i like the rubber side down