Thread: The Hoss

mtbr member
    May 2006

The Hoss

Well I did it with the wife permission! I went and picked up the Kona Hoss today. This thing is nice. I'll be back later with an update, Thanks again for everyone's help with my other post.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Good for you man!

Tigers love pepper...
    Our Kona dealer in town doesn't have any on display yet. Wanna check them out!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Yahooooooo! Hoss thread... show off your Hoss

Recently I got me a 2007 Kona Hoss frame that I'm currently building. So far I have installed a Shimano Hone crankset. This is actually my first build. I will post some pictures on my next post. I would like to see other's Kona Hoss.

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Would certainly like to see pics when you have a chance!

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    pinoy... how much did you pay for that HOSS frame?
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Slave to the grind
    Congrats to Bignateb and Pinoy!

Pinoy- Where are you based kababayan?

both of you guys do realize this thread needs pics ey?
    Let it flow, let yourself go, slow and low, that is the tempo.

BIG and Bald
    2006 Hoss

It's served me well with no issues to this date. Stiff frame, cranks, solid wheels. I did upgrade the fork when I bought it to a Dirt Jumper 2 but everything else is fully stock. Planning on a getting a new one when the 2010's roll out. Not sure what I'm going to do with Ole Blue.

Hope you bought a helmet...and don't forget to drink your OVALTINE!!!!
    Veterans Park Hoss.jpg
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hey fireball I'll be glad to take her off your hands and give her a good home.

mtbr member
    whats that yellow thing near the head tube...
    Upgrade what you need, not what you Want.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Hoss!

Hi all! I bought my 2007 Hoss frame for $125 local pick up throguh ebay. Frame is near new condition from built a bike with few paint scratches. Notice the black sticker along the seat tube it says "Baton Rouge Police Department". It will take a long time before I complete this build. Money is virgin. I will be transfering fork, stem, handlebar and deraileurs from my current bike(2008 Ironhorse Quantum) you see in the pictures. Please keep posting your Hoss Photos.

Cherrybomber- I am from New York City.

Future Parts list:
    **Parts acquired (future install): Raceface AM stem, Raceface DH handlebar 31.8, Rockshox 351 solo air 120mm, Shimano Lx front derail, rear XT deraileur. Raceface grips red, Lizardskin chain protector.**
    1- Hope spacers
    2-FSA Fig bigballed
    3-Hayes El camino brakes 185mm front, 160mm rear(max)
    4-Raceface evolve xc seatpost 30.0
    5-Selle italia saddle
    6-Shimano deore chian, cassette
    7-Hope Hoops pro II wheelset or Azonic Outlawz
    8- shimano xt shifters
    9- Wellgo gold pedals
    10- E.Thirteen Bashguard 32T White
    11- Fox Talas 100-140mm(considering as future upgrade when RS Recon 351 dies)

Last edited by PinoyMTB2008; 05-28-2009 at 05:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FireBallKY
    2006 Hoss

It's served me well with no issues to this date. Stiff frame, cranks, solid wheels. I did upgrade the fork when I bought it to a Dirt Jumper 2 but everything else is fully stock. Planning on a getting a new one when the 2010's roll out. Not sure what I'm going to do with Ole Blue.

Hope you bought a helmet...and don't forget to drink your OVALTINE!!!!
    Veterans Park Hoss.jpg

I like the color of your hoss. What is the size of that frame? I believe fork is 100mm right.

BIG and Bald
    Hardtail,

That is a small piece of yellow PVC material. I put it on there with zip ties to prevent cable rub on the head tube. You notice I left the decal protectors on the fork? I'm a weirdo like that sometimes. hehe The fork is naked now. Took the stickers off this past winter.

Pinoy,

The frame is a 20" (should have gotten an 18" with longer stem) and most of the time it's blue but when the light hits it occassionally, it looks purple....and yes, it is a 100mm fork. Even though it's a dirt jumping fork, I have been truly happy with it. For anyone over 300lbs, I recommend a DJ fork....it's stiff but responds nicely when needed.

I hated that brown paint job when it first came out but it kind of grew on me over the past couple years. What size is your frame?

I actually contacted Kona last year about a more vibrant color option in the Hoss' future and they replied back that it might be a good idea. I suggested them doing an online poll for the color. All the Hoss to this point have been dark and subdued. Red, yellow or even white would be nice for a change. OMG, I sound like a girl!!!
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]