lurker
    Aug 2010

Hope hub for an uber clyde?

Im building a Surly lht my wife and i ride 15 miles per day we shoot for 5 days a week and sometimes even make it. I weigh 350 lbs down from over 400 and tend to spin as opposed to hammer as it keeps me from breaking spokes. my question is are Hope hubs an option for a way heavy dude? they seem to be a little more reasonably priced than a King.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    They are OK but you'd probably have to spend extra on the steel freehub. The alu ones tend to get gouged by heavier users.
    It all comes down to the build quality of the wheel. Components are a big part but the build is all.
    Halo Freedom Disc Pro in 36 spoke would be very tough. I hammered some Halo rims for years and they never needed any love.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm a big fan of Hope design, well at least with their brakes (I have 8 sets) and seat collars (have about 15) but their hub bearings leave a lot to be desire..

Well at least the one on my fatbike only last about 80miles before they need replacing (super easy to do, so no big deal).

Maybe a 36hole Hadley hub (or even a 48h tandem hub) is what you need they are ultra strong and if you are lucky you can find them for cheap sometimes.

mtbr member
    I second the steel freehub body...worth the upcharge for a big rider. The hub should do fine otherwise with a solid wheel build.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

lurker
    Aug 2010
    Yeah ive got a really good builder. he has built some very stout wheels for me. Im thinking 36 hole velocity chukkers and not sure about the hubs. currently use xtr rear and chris king on the front on my main bike. 32 hole both, no problems, i attribute it to learning how to pedal and build quality.going with higher spoke count on these. we ride a couple metric centuries a year and have a pretty cool 40 mile course from home. love our bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    im 372lb and riding hope 36h hubs with flow ex rims for about a year now. They are holding up just fine. Still straight and true.

Ow!
    As mentioned, you might consider a rear Hadley hub. Hope has a good rep, but, maybe, Hadley has a better rep? I guess costs more than Hope, but maybe not that much more. And Hadley already has a ti freehub (no upgrade needed).

You can get great condition used Hadley hubs if patient and look hard. I think ebay usually has hadley rear's most of the time.