mtbr member

Hollow Cro-moly Seat Rails

Are Hollow Cro-moly Seat Rails (Rocket V) going to be strong enough for a 206lb guy on a hardtail?

I know that it's subjective but just your gut feelings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Traddad
    Are Hollow Cro-moly Seat Rails (Rocket V) going to be strong enough for a 206lb guy on a hardtail?

I know that it's subjective but just your gut feelings.
    works fine for me! (~230 lbs... got 'em on both HT & dually)
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    First, I think most Cro-Mo rails are hollow - solid ones come on WalMart bikes and maybe HD dirt jump bikes.

I'm 260# and ride Ti railed WTB saddles on both my FS and rigid SS. It took 3 seasons to bend one rail and that was because I landed really wrong. I'm glad the saddle gave because otherwise it would have been by junk absorbing more of the smack down.
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

No problems here....

I weight 230lbs and I've ridden Ti and Cromo hollow rails on both HT and FS bikes and had no problems with either. I've also ridden saddles with sold cromo rails with out problems as well. As long as you are purchasing a QUALITY saddle, and do your part, i.e. getting off your but in the really rough stuff like you should, you shouldn't have any problems. I've found that for me some brands of saddles tend to bend easier than others, and the hollow or solid cromo rails take less abuse to cause a bend than a quality Ti railed saddle. But that is to be expected when considering the diference in the two materials. I love and ride WTB Speed V Comp saddles and can speak to the quality and durability of the cromo rails they use. They are tough. I've only bent two, one was due to a down hill "yard sale" type crash where the first bounce was right on the saddle. The other was due to a bad landing off of a drop, my foot slipped off of the right pedal and my butt slamed down hard on the saddle bending the left rail. Anyway, both instances were totally my fault and due to unusual circumstances. I don't think you'll have much of a problem.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    I guess Iím basing my question on some old data. Back in the early Ď80s (yes, bikes were invented then) I went through a couple of Ti railed saddles in the space of a month or soÖon a road bikeÖ..at ~180lbs. Iím sure technology has progressed since the era of Nuovo Record, 531 and Columbus SL. Iíve just ridden a steel railed saddle ever since out of fear (I bent one 50 miles out on a 100 mile ride).

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Gotta remember that back in the 80's....

mountain bikes poached allot of equipment from road biking. There wasn't really to much mountain bike specific gear or equipment out there. Most saddles now days are either meant for road bikes or mountain bikes. There are a few companies that still try to foist off road stuff for mountain biking, but you find out who they are pretty quick because allot of the stuff doesn't cross over that well. But some of it does work fine. Most MTB saddles with hollow rails aren't stupid light like some of the road stuff used to be and still is in many cases. While the rails may be the same diameter out side the hollow inside quite a bit smaller in diameter than many hollow railed road specific saddles. They weigh a little more, or allot more depending on the model, but are also considerably stronger than road specific saddles as well. IMHO WTB makes one of the best hollow rail saddles going. Certainly one of the best that I have ever used. So yeah you are working on old data. But hey, better to ask than to find out the hard way if at all possible. Enjoy your Rocket V, if it fits you right you won't have any problems.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Klydesdale
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Traddad

I'd say they'd be tough enough. I'm 250 lbs and have been using WTB saddles with hollow CroMoly rails for about eight years now without bending a rail on any of them. Prior to that, I had plenty of problems with busted/broken rails so the friendly folks at my favorite LBS called a few manufacturers on my behalf. They all recommended hollow cro-moly rails over the lower priced plain steel or the higher-end Ti rails for someone my weight. WTB saddles just happen to fit me the best. The Pure V Race is my current favorite.