Thread: Hi everyone

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Hi everyone

Hi everyone

A friend of mine from bikeforums.net showed me this site and the clyde section, said I would find it helpfull. Alot of inspirational stories here, its awsome to see everyone having so much suceess.

I am wondering if you guys can help me with bike choices? I am new to cycling, and have so far decided to pick up a Kona Hoss in about two weeks. Do you guys think there is anything I need to modify on it?

Thanks everyone.
    My Journey of 410 going on 220

"Man are born to succeed, not fail"

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorton
    I am new to cycling, and have so far decided to pick up a Kona Hoss in about two weeks. Do you guys think there is anything I need to modify on it?
    Hey, what's up big T? I've been riding the Hoss since Fall '05 and the only thing I've swapped out is the fork. I'm gonna beat on the other parts until they break or wear out and absolutely need to be replaced. And that would be my personal recommendation to you. None of the parts on the Hoss are top o' the line, so they all potentially could be upgraded. However, they are all functional, and you might as well get as much use out of them as you can. JMO.

BTW, you should like the bike, it'll take a beating. Although, you'll take a bit of a beating at high-speed on rough terrain (if your into those types of things), as the frame is not very "forgiving". Good luck and have fun.
    Last edited by PCinSC; 02-23-2006 at 08:40 AM. Reason: sp

Glad to Be Alive
    i agree.......just ride the bike.....in time you will break things....that is when you start replacing them.....besides when you first start out you really won't know the difference yet.....just spend your time riding and enjoying your new bike
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Freshly Fujified

Welcome to the club

Welcome to the mtbr forums. You'l find a lot of useful (and useless) info here. I would agree with PC's recommendation. Get the bike, ride it and enjoy it. Take it from someone who quickly fell into "upgrade-itis" (UGI as it is commonly referred to in the support groups) that you should just wait for things to break or wear out before replacing them. You have a nice bike that's definitely "Clyde-Worthy" and while it may not have top-of-the-line components, it's better than average. You'll know when something needs to be upgrded or replaced as you become more familiar with the bike.

For now, just enjoy it.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Your bike is incorrigible
    You'll see, once you get into riding, the one thing you'll want to upgrade is the entire bike. That's what usually happens. Someone gets into riding on a hardtail, but after a few seasons wants to get a full suspension rig.

You can potentially ride the Hoss for three or four years without any upgrades (just new chains and cassettes when they wear out). In that time, you will figure out whether or not you want to keep riding a hardtail. The upgrade bug is almost nearly fatal, unless you have unlimited funds. And most upgrades will not be that noticable. (In fact, there are some "downgrades" you can do to make a bike ride better.) So, just hold off for a season or two, keep reading the clydesdale forum and you will eventually figure out just what changes will benefit you.

mtbr member
    All good advice but I besides swapping the fork if you can you must get some more burly rims and freehub than the Alex and Deore combo that came on the bike. My freehub went in like 6 weeks and I had to get new spokes every fortnight unitl I switched in some SunRynolites

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by saba
    ...you must get some more burly rims and freehub than the Alex and Deore combo that came on the bike. My freehub went in like 6 weeks and I had to get new spokes every fortnight unitl I switched in some SunRynolites
    That's interesting, I haven't had any issues with my wheels and IMO I've been beating the living s%@t out of them. I would call it aggressive XC, things like fast, rocky (but not too steep) downhills (where the rear wheel is skipping all over the place like a jumping jack firecracker). technical climbs (with lots of pedal mashing; IOW: lots of torque) and drops to flat of up to about 30". I realize in the whole scheme of mountain biking these feats aren't huge , but on a hardtail XC MTB where the wheels (especially the rear) take a beating I would expect at least some repercussions in terms of damage. I haven't had so much as a flat tire in 7 months.

The DM24's are downhill/DJ rims, if I'm not mistaken, and should take some abuse. The, hubs, however, I expect to crush any day now. Maybe my wheels were trued and re-tensioned well by my LBS before I took the bike home? I do eventually plan to upgrade my wheels, but I was actually planning on going lighter duty (and lighter weight) for XC training/racing.

But, maybe I'm wrong and the type of riding I do is not all that aggressive and is par for the course for a rig like the Hoss. But if that's so why do some of the guys on the Turner forum need 6" travel RFX's for their curb drops?

Anyway, saba, It's not that I doubt the issues that you've had, I'm just curious of what type of riding you are doing that you've had issues with your wheels. I guess I'm curious too of how other clydes are treating their similar rigs and how they're holding up.

Patrick
    Last edited by PCinSC; 02-24-2006 at 07:22 AM.