Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Hi all. This Clydesdale needs a bike.

I am 6 foot and 350lbs.

I have been looking at the Trek X-Caliber 7. I have max $900. The guy at LBS said for $80-$100 he could Clydesdale the back rim for me. Is this something I should get done? My goal is to get a good starter bike and build it up over time with better components. I not Stuck on Trek so If I should look at another brand let me know.

mtbr member
    Depends on what he means by Clydesdaling the rear rim. The plus is that they are 32h rims. Not as good as 36 but better than 28. Overall it doesn't look like a bad bike. I'd consider looking at used too if I were you. Just for more options.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    $900 is a pretty tight budget. A truly beefy wheel for you could easily cost half that. What is the LBS doing for that $100? The Trek is definitely entry level, but in that price range, seems about average in the field.

Tell us what your riding goals are, intended style of riding, etc. Trail riding, fitness riding. Do you know what the trails are like where you want to ride? Will you ride on pavement a lot? These parameters will dictate if its worth the extra cash for wheel work.

+1 on the used bike option. Find someone local who is experienced who can help you search the classifieds.
    Goat Rider

Dirt, Sweat and Gears
    I just picked up the X Cal 7 last week. It is a great bike for the money I think but I must warn you that at my 225lbs I think I am on the upper end of what the fork can handle. Not sure if heavier springs are available for it.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk
    Noob on a 2014 Trek X-Caliber 7
    Dirt, Sweat and Gears - my new outdoors blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Used I am trying clist but I need 21.5 frame and those are harder to find. Road and bike paths for now. He said he had a custom rim builder. sounded like he would put a thicker gage spoke in the hub. just found out my LBS has a X-Caliber 29 2013 for $1150 vs 1699. Is the $250 worth spending? Big difference I see is RockShox Reba RL.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You don't need a 21.5" frame. I'm 6'7" and have 21" and a 23" mountain bikes. A 21.5" would be too big for you. Look at the next size down which shoild be more available and a much better fit for you.

mtbr member
    6' tall would put you on a 17-19" frame. I'm 6'2" and one of my bikes was a 20" frame and it was a little too big for me. I tend to go a little larger rather than smaller, but for you, 21" would be way too big.

And spokes...you might find out for sure...I'd guess the stock wheels already have 14g straight spokes...they could be 15g. I don't know that going from 15g to 14g would make much difference. Having the wheels hand built would certainly make a difference. Not sure if they can redo the wheel without taking it apart...just loosen it up and retension/true it by hand. That would save you $50+ just in the cost of spokes.

And yes...an air fork will be a big improvement over a spring fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Ok will look into frame size then. I had a 7.3 fX the LBS put me in a 22 riding was fine dismount was special. I will test drive and let you guys know how it goes. Look on clist for 19 frames see what I find.thanks guys.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Buy the best you can afford and ride the heck out of it. Then if you are hooked/serious, upgrade to something really nice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The FX was a hybrid bike designed for road riding. Mountain bikes come up a bit smaller in the frame so you don't clang your plums when on and off the thing. 19" will fit you better and there should be more of them. The FX bikes also had fairly short top tubes so you might feel a bit less upright on a mountain bike - but that can be sorted to get you comfortable.

mtbr member
    @ 6' I'd be looking at a 18" or 18.5.

The Airborne Seeker is a lot of bike for the money.

Airborne Bicycles. Seeker

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Road and bike paths, the stock wheels should be fine. As long as they're not some spindly race wheel. An air fork will serve you well. You can add air pressure to make it stiffer for you and customize the ride.
    Goat Rider

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    So the 19 fit well. So it looks like the x-cal 7 is what I will pull the trigger on. In the 8 all I see is a better fork but still spring not air and tires and Rims. What could I get for a Better rims right off the bat to make the x-cal 7 a safer ride? I don't care about weight just strength. From what I have learned on here so far 36h double-walled rims.

mtbr member
    shimano M529 hubs on
    sun ringle mtx 33 rims.

and later when you upgrade your fork you can upgrade the front hub to a 15mm.

there is a guy on ebay that sells all kinds of fork to axle adapters , they are machined and run about $25 shipped.

mtbr member
    If you have the budget...I'd go MTx33 rims with Hope hubs or better yet...Chris King hubs. That would be a wheel set for life...not just a slight upgrade from stock. A wheel set like that can be switched from bike to bike to bike. Look at it like a one time investment. It's a hard pill to swallow but once you do...you won't regret it.

Dirt, Sweat and Gears

Re: Hi all. This Clydesdale needs a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTons View Post
    So the 19 fit well. So it looks like the x-cal 7 is what I will pull the trigger on. In the 8 all I see is a better fork but still spring not air and tires and Rims. What could I get for a Better rims right off the bat to make the x-cal 7 a safer ride? I don't care about weight just strength. From what I have learned on here so far 36h double-walled rims.
    Keep in mind with the Suntour fork on that bike you can do the Suntour Customer Loyalty Upgrade and get their bottom level air fork for under $200. I plan on doing this in a few months.

(You can get an even better fork than that too, if you want to spend more)

mtbr member
    If your looking for good bang for your buck, I suggest you check out Airborne bicycles. They build a good solid bike with good components, the drawback is that they are mail order, but they have great support. They have a great line 29er XC bikes Airborne Bicycles. Cross Country 29"

PS I am a bit biased, I have an Airborne, it's a great bike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I am cool with the MTx33 $140-200 from what I found. thank you JohnFl,Nubster.

spokes are the last part of the puzzle ?

Nubster
    Holy crap I almost had a heart attack looking at those hubs. What size hub do I use for the bike? Can I just get a king for the rear for now or is that unsafe. Or at $400 do they come in a set?

Tomahaw
    How long is that Loyalty program good for in the first year?

Is there a good bike book I could read?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    can I build just a rear rim? Mtx33 with hope hub for now or is that just weird?

Dirt, Sweat and Gears

Re: Hi all. This Clydesdale needs a bike.

I am cool with the MTx33 $140-200 from what I found. thank you JohnFl,Nubster.

spokes are the last part of the puzzle ?

Nubster
    Holy crap I almost had a heart attack looking at those hubs. What size hub do I use for the bike? Can I just get a king for the rear for now or is that unsafe. Or at $400 do they come in a set?

Tomahaw
    How long is that Loyalty program good for in the first year?

Is there a good bike book I could read?
    I'm not sure if there is a time limit on the upgrade program. What the gentleman from Suntour told me is you do it thru your dealer, so I'm sure they can find out for you, and I'll find out in March when I take mine in for its 30 day tune up.

mtbr member
    can I build just a rear rim? Mtx33 with hope hub for now or is that just weird?
    Not weird at all. My bike is a Chris King single speed rear and Hope front. The rear would be the one I'd build first if only doing one at a time. It will take the brunt of the abuse. Hope in IMO the best bang for the buck. I also have a rear Hope wheel build and it's handled everything I could throw at it.

mtbr member

Nubster
    Not a set. They are pricey hubs. Maybe look for used. I paid $200 for a great condition Chris King single speed hub that I had build on to an MTx33. Awesome wheel. Hope is great too. If you can find a used one...they should be pretty cheap. You're looking for a 135mm disc brake rear hub 36h.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks everyone for all the information and help. x-cal 7 Done! I will keep the hubs and rims for now and swap a big apple road tire on. I need time to build up strength and ass resistance for the seat. Right now I am 394 lbs. So once I lose 47,173.6g I will give my self new MTx33 rims and hope hubs and start hitting some dirt! Once I Get the bike I will post a pic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Trek marlin 29er reduced brand new with extras
    Ok guys clist caught my eye today. Trek marlin 29er 2012 19 inch retail $659
    1.Bontrager AT-850
    2.lock out front fork
    Is this an ok Deal $600 looks clean.
    Xcal 7 $941.99 afte tax.
    What do you all think? good upgrade bike? what should the price be?

mtbr member
    IMO I think you are better off with the Xcal. The component list on that bike is much better. If you honestly think you'll ride any amount...get the best you can afford right off the bat. Otherwise, you'll end up trying to sell or upgrade the cheaper bike, loose a bunch of money doing so, and it'll cost more in the end.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast