mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Hey guys, any bikes for cheapish?

Hey, I recently bought a bike from Walmart (I know I know) for 200. It's some Genesis 29er. I actually had bought the 26 and returned it for this one tonight so I haven't had a chance to ride it to work yet, but anyway.

Someone in my other topic suggested I ask around this forum for anyone selling their old bikes I guess. I'm 6'4" around 295. I'm trying to lose weight and I ride my bike to work since it's like 4 miles away. I'm usually on a sidewalk but once I get down enough I wanna ride on some trails and stuff too. I'm trying to get my girl to buy a bike too.

So yeah, I figured I'd ask. Thanks guys.
    Or if you guys know where I can get a good bike for relatively cheap? Around 200ish.

mtbr member
    $200 and good and bike...nope...not going to happen. Best thing you can do is look at used stuff...craigslist or try your LBS to see if they have any "specials" in the back that have been collecting dust. If you do find something on CL...make sure to have it checked out by a mechanic if you are not sure what to look for. It will save you a lot of headaches. But in all honesty...even used...$200 is a VERY small budget for a complete decent quality bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

Former Bike Wrench
    For $200 used, look for 10-20 year old steel full rigid (no shocks) mountain bikes, the kind that have been collecting dust in someone's garage for the past decade. They will be solid and durable.

native.
    Mar 2010
    +1 on finding a rigid midschool MTB. Throw some slicks on it, and it will be more than enough for a commuter. You'll ride off some weight and save money from not driving...then spend the coin on a bike specifically for the trails.

Good luck!