Thread: Here bees me!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Here bees me!

Sorry for the Northern Irish colloquialism...

Hi! I'm Paul. I joined the forum last year when I was starting a regime of weight loss, hoping that one day I would start riding... Well, I believe that time has come! I'm still a big boy, I believe I'm an Über Clyde, but I'm ready to go for this, the confidence is high!

I'm not far off 400lbs (told ya I was über!), and I've borrowed my brother's Claude Butler Stone River to get me started, but that'll only be until I get my own kit together. I've been looking through a lot of the threads here about bikes for Clydes and three bikes seem to get all the votes:

Giant Escape
    Kona Hoss
    Specialized Hardrock

I'm edging towards the Escape as I know my LBS has one in stock, but I want to make sure I'm making the right decision... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and while I'm here... Is there anything else I should be getting/upgrading? Cheers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Disclaimer--I'm in U.S. and not sure how uniform bicycle names are accross the pond.

The Escpae I found...

...is a street bike, so if you plan to ride the streets with occasional gravel/dirt roads that sounds good.

The other two are mountain bikes more suitable to riding trails, though they can be used on the street too--people usually switch the knobby tires for slicks in that case.