mtbr member
    May 2009

Help with work out routine

Not sure if this is were I should post this but anyhow, I am a firefighter and I have been transfered to a station that has no exercise equipment. At my old station we had a nice elliptical trainer and some free weights so I could get a good workout in.

So my question, what are some good workout with no equipment? I am looking for suggestions for books, web sites, etc that others have tried and liked. I have a road bike and I am looking into getting a trainer for use at the station that would take care of the cardio but I would like to do more core workout stuff. Thanks in advance for all the help.

mtbr member
    TRX is amazing, but expensive ($300ish). Check it out on youtube.

No equip: Planks, Squats, forward and side lunges, pushups, leg lifts, crunches, bicycles, ...
    cheap stuff: dumbbells, medicine ball, kettle bell,

Johnny Dependable
    Interval training! Stuff will kick your butt! All you need is a $15 timer. http://www.bodyrock.tv/

Also, I really like the perfect pushup and perfect pullup (be sure to get the optional ab straps). They are about $25 each at walmart.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Perfect pushup device are a must buy for the little $$ they cost. I have the walmart version, they work fine! Just make sure you get the real perfect push up brand. They do make a huge difference that you will feel.

I have had a Total Gym since about 97ish (I was a teen) and its good considering it can fold up and fit in a closet or in the corner and not take up much space. I should use it more than I do, basement is a mess and I really can't get to it. Soon I hope.

P90X is supposedly a good system too.

mtbr member
    Squats. But if there's enough space you could maybe bring your bike and a trainer or rollers...

mtbr member
    Rope skipping is good cardio too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by en3chix
    Not sure if this is were I should post this but anyhow, I am a firefighter and I have been transfered to a station that has no exercise equipment. At my old station we had a nice elliptical trainer and some free weights so I could get a good workout in.

So my question, what are some good workout with no equipment? I am looking for suggestions for books, web sites, etc that others have tried and liked. I have a road bike and I am looking into getting a trainer for use at the station that would take care of the cardio but I would like to do more core workout stuff. Thanks in advance for all the help.
    Are
    you confined to be at the station during training?

i.e.

Can you pick up running a short loop multiple times near the station? Running is good cardio work and if done properly it's not too hard on the joints.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You can google "convict conditioning." I've heard that some of the exercises are good and the progression is supposed to be good for bodyweight workouts

mtbr member
    May 2010
    although many might say no. Insanity cds are pretty good. If you have some space. You dont need weights like p90x. I cant keep uo with that though it was hard has hell for me and worked all types of muscles in my feet I didnt know I had.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Kettle Ball swings and lifts don't require a lot of room, and are a really good way to get strong fast.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Check out bikejames.com He has a two day body weight workout routine that I'm about to start. Looks interesting in an oh **** kinda way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    A bunch of firemen do crossfit. Minimal equipment and I think they have a list of exercises, many of which can be done without exercise. www.crossfit.com

This site has good articles:

Body weight routine:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._by_bodyweight

General search:
    http://www.t-nation.com/searchResult...on.com%2F#1250
    2010 GF X-Caliber
    2010 Trek 2.3
    1997 Ventana ECDM (tandem)
    1996 Mantis Pro Floater

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'll also throw in my vote for the TRX. Got mine for $150 on amazon. It takes up minimal room when in use, none when not, and will kick your ass. Just go to trx.com and see all the workouts they have posted, or even youtube. Best $150 total workout gym IMHO.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    yeah, all the interval/tabata/crossfit/yoga etc require no real equipment for a lot of the exercises.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'm actually looking at the viking warrior conditioning book by kenneth jay. seems to me all you need is a 16kg (35lb) kettlebell, timer, and enough space to swing a cat around. per reviews its a real killer and allegedly one of the best VO2 workouts around.

Keep The Rubber Side Down
    Positional Yoga is awesome. I'm doing that now twice a week.
    P90X & Insanity are the two that I also give high marks.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

mtbr member
    Get some simple equipment to store at the station like a doorjam hanging pull up bar and maybe a sandbag or two of different weights. Then do some progressions to make the "simple" bodyweight exercises more diffficult.

Example:
    Squat
    Split Squat
    Single Leg Split Squat (rear leg elevated)

Push-up
    Explosive Push-ups onto various height platforms

Chin-ups (Underhand Grip)
    Pull-ups (Overhand Grip)
    Pull-ups (Wide Grip)

Do what you can to make it harder. Then if you cant add weight (sandbag, coiled wet hose, etc) just do more reps.
    Retribution Fitness: Strength, Power, and Purpose
    General fitness workouts posted daily.