mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Help with wheels

I recently purchased a trek 6000 bicycle from a friend who bought it but never used it. I just got into mountain biking recently with a bunch of people from work and I'm a heavier rider (5'10", 260 lbs). My main concern on this bike is the wheels. Will the stock wheels from this bike be good enough for riding trails? Nothing excessive like drops but more casual trail riding. If not are there any suggestions on what I should buy as replacements? Keep in mind I currently know very little about the intricacies of mountain bikes. Price is also a factor as I'm not trying to spend a fortune. All and any help is greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

b, my suggestion would be....

take the wheels off the bike and take em to a bike shop that is known for building good wheels. Have them tension checked and evened. If they are worth spit, they'll check the spoke tension on the wheels, adjust it to proper levels and equalize it. The biggest problem with factory wheels is that they are machine built and tensioned. Usually this produces a wheel with very uneven and/or low spoke tension. Having the spoke tension as even as possible an in the proper range is the key to a good solid wheel. For the type of riding that you are doing, the stock wheels will work fine,for now. You'll probably have to replace them sooner than the light weights guys, but for now they'll do.

As you progress and get more agressive in your riding style (if you do), then you may want to consider a different set of stronger wheels. But give the stock wheels a try first. The first indication that you need to upgrade will be constantly having to have the wheels trued after every couple of rides or so, borken spokes are another good indicator. The wheels will let you know when or if it's time for a change to something with more beef. Also keep in mind that getting the heaviest duty stuff available is no garuntee that the wheels will be stronger. A poorly built DH wheeset can be weaker than a properly built cross country wheel.

So, have what you've got checked over and ride em. If they give your problems right off then get new wheels. If not, then use them and put some coin away for when you need a new set, which you will eventually.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the reply. Ill bring the ones I have to a lbs and see how things go from there.