mtbr member

Help me pick a new wheelset

I am 6'2" and weigh 230 lbs. I ride agressive xc and all mountain (drops as high as 4 ft., though seldom) on a Jamis XLT. I need a new wheelset. My current setup consists of Rhynolite XL's laced to Deore hubs. They have lasted for 2 seasons and aren't rolling as round as they used to. to top that off I am starting to get some play in the hubs even after going at them with the cone wrenches.

I am working with a budget ($250 max with shipping). I know that the pickings are slim, but I need a compromise between perfomance and price. I am looking at the following wheelsets

Singletracks laced to an XT hub

Azonic Outlaws
    Review

Forte Locos
    Review

Any feedback you guys could give me on the relative merits of each wheelset would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

P.S. My fork is for QR hubs and I am running disc brakes
    Last edited by srey; 11-18-2007 at 01:05 PM.

banned
    I would either go with the Outlaws or XT hubs laced to Mavic Xm321's. Both fit in your budget. I have a set of the XT's and Mavics. They are a good durable wheelset. I weigh 285lbs so I'm not easy on wheels
    Last edited by EDDIE JONES; 11-21-2007 at 10:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Vote for the outlaws. I've been running mine for 2 seasons. Singletrack and DH days no problem. Love them and I just moved them them to my park bike.

Also, another vote for the Transition Revolution(32 or 36 hole) wheel set. Another great wheel set for same price range. The only downside is the front is only a 20mm. I like the fact the outlaws are either 9mm or 20mm.
    The bonus of the transition's are the rear is a 10mm quick release...very cool

I'm using the transition as my DH wheels and the outlaws(right now) on my park bike. And I use the Mavic deetrack for my XC wheels. They are a little more but another great clyde wheelset.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Sorry, I'm a lot mor ethan you weight wise ad no problem with all three wheelsets.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The outlaws are the only set of the 3 that have 36 spokes, making them stronger and possibley heavier.

I had two Performance Terramax rear wheels go badly out of true pretty quickly, after a few months.

I currently rolling HopeXC's laced to Rhynolite XLs. This has been durable. Got them at Universal Cycles online. Universal hand builds their wheels and seems to do a good job.
    XT's laced to Mavic XM321's for $199 and other XT options here:
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...ls.php?id=5343

Making fat cool since '71
    I abuse Rhynolite XL's and love them (well over 4' drops/jumps...regularly). They are welded versus pinned on the regular Rhynolite, and wider (29.5mm versus 26-ish). Retail is $50 per hoop, but you can see them for a lot less often. I hate Shimano hubs for clydes (I've blown up several before moving to Kings and Hopes), especially for clydes that ride hard or have strong legs. Hope Pro 2 hubs rock and I have a set on my rigid bike with zero complaints. If you search or get creative you can get a wheelset built up that is strong as hell, reasonably light (for a clyde that sometimes drops) and inexpensive (sub $300, easily).

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE JONES
    I would either go with the Outlaws or XT hubs laced to Mavic Xm321's. Both fit in your budget. I have a set of the XT's and Mavics. They are a good durable wheelset. I weigh 285lbs so I'm not easy on wheels
    Ditto, I have been running the XM321/XT combo for over a year with no issues.

rust never sleeps
    I weigh 275 and used the Singletracks and XT for a year with no problems. You can't beat that price.
    I love you to death, but get on the bus or throw yourself under it.

...a peaceful man stands tall...

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    I've got a set of 317/XT wheels that I've had for a few months now and I already have a ding in the rear. I wish I would have gone with the 321/XT or 719/XT combo.

mtbr member
    I picked up some Outlaws a couple months ago and have really liked them, especially for the price. I am 6'0" 220 lbs and mainly ride cross country, but ride mainly technical and rough trails....I don't do drops more than a two feet maybe, so I don't know how they would hold up for bigger drops.

The wheels have been great stayed true; however, they do weigh more, but I think they still ride fine even on long rides. I don't think you will find a better value on a wheel set; having the extra spokes is nice being a bigger rider.

mtbr member
    for sure

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Mavic Crosslands and they are on closeout here.
    http://bikeworld.com/itemdetails.cfm...gId=39&id=1347

hth

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I've steered away from Mavic's because they have a lot of proprietary parts making them harder to get rebuilt.

mtbr member
    With Mavics wheels, I really think the Crossmax SXs are the way to go for clydes. They are made for aggressive All Mountain and Freeride with big drops in mind. I think they would hold up just fine for a clyde.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

36 Hole Sun with XT

245 pounds down to 230...Had them over four years and just had to true the rear for the first time.

Get the 36 spoke version of any rim..bomb proof

don't get a factory mavic set..they are made for small skinny people.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm running 721's with XT 36 hole with 2.0 straight gauge but I'm not a radical rider at all. I probably over specd my wheelset because I got tired of poping spokes.

I didn't spend much on them either, around $200.