Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Help me lose some weight!

Hey Guys, Riding season is FAST approaching and I want to excel much more than I did last year.

I Currently weigh 241 and I'm 5' 11". I used to do a lot of benching/fly curls, so now I have a huge chest/arms... and it's not all muscle .

I would like to get down to 180ish, so that's 60 POUNDS!

I have a treadmill and a Weider Home Gym.. I Do not want to gain any muscle, I want to purely lean out. Am I right by thinking I need to do pure cardio-type workouts? I've been running a mile on the treadmill, doing a few reps of light weights then running another mile. I've also been TRYING to cut back on my eating, and for the most part I eat oatmeal for breakfast, then a turkey sandwich with sun chips and a banana for lunch, then something light for dinner. And also 90% of the time, the only thing I drink is water.

Please offer me some advice and help me kick this weight. I will be much happier once I hit 200.

Adam Ann Arbor, MI

SS XC Junkie
    I lost 25lbs in 2 months last year. During that time I worked out 3x's a week (30-40min) and maybe 20minutes of cardio every-other week... Due to injuries and work I haven't gotten back on the program this year but plan to start back in the next couple of weeks.

I did a modified plan based off of Shawn Phillips Strength for Life. Most of my weight loss came from eating properly. I watched what I ate, tried to eat 300-800 calories a meal 5x a day. I didn't really count calories but I just "guesstimated" how many calories I was taking in. LOTS of protein and quality foods.

In his book, Shawn talks about how muscle burns fats. Something along the lines of 1lb of muscle burns an extra 60 or so (don't remember the actual number) of calories. Basically if you slap on 5lbs of muscle you'll basically do the equivalent of a 30min cardio session without having to do the cardio. Based off my experience and past experiences I think this is true.

I won't bore you with the details, you can read the book if you want to use the program.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Eating properly can do a lot for you. I've lost about 20 lbs since the beginning of the year by just doing weight watchers. I have yet to get on my exercise program due to being stuck in a MN winter. Sounds like your diet so far is probably pretty good. Although some things seem light and may in fact be a little heavier than you thought. Find out how to count calories for each day for your size and stick to it and you should be fine. Basically that's what I do with weight watchers. I can eat what I want, but I have to count how much I take in every day and stick within a certain range. Anyway, sounds like if you keep up the eating right and your exercise, you should do just fine! Good luck!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am also doing weight watchers point system and its not 2 bad.. average about 2-3lbs a week with 2 days of riding for about 45 minutes.. now daylight savings time is here i am riding 4 days a week now.. hope to see more results..

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    A guy of your age (you look under 30) and weight should be getting about 3000 calories a day if you consider yourself to be moderately sedentary (2750 if over 30) this is what your body needs just to maintain its present weight.
    If you are moderatley active its 3463 (3155 if over 30) Either eat 500 calories a day less or burn 500 a day more( or combo of both) to lose a pound a week, 1000 to lose 2 pound a week.
    You dont really want to be losing any more than about 2pound a week. if you are the chances are, that you will be losing muscle ,and as don says in his post muscle is a very active tissue that burn calories even when not being used.
    Do a mixture of weights and cardio for best results.
    Good luck ADDam

mtbr member
    Thanks for the Advice everyone! Time for my oatmeal!

Oh, and I'm 20

Adam Ann Arbor, MI

banned
    Jumpstart the diet with a stomach bug. That's what I got and I feel a lot lighter.

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    Adam,
    Sounds like we have a bunch in common. I'm 28yrs old, 5'9" & 235-240(damn winter weight) depending on the day. I found that that moderate weight w/ high reps really burned the fat away last year. I would set up w/ about 75lbs and do 2-3 reps of 50 all around. I didnt gain a lot of bulk and was quite happy w/ the results. I was in the gym about 3 days a week and sometimes did a sunday if the weather didnt warrant being outside. Im about to start this program again as I would like to also be back around 195-200lbs by summers end. I have also found that isokinetics and strectching can really aid weightloss and core strength. I also implement a program that I call the race to 50. Its unreal how fast it works to build strength but not bulk, something you might like after reaching a comfortable weight.
    "The original concept of freeriding was that there was no set course, goals or rules to abide by. "
    Mountain Riders

SS XC Junkie
    Also, you need a little structure if you're weight training. Chest and arms or upper body only will not work unless you're supplementing with pill or syringe. You've gotta move some weight with the legs. You don't even need a lot. Maybe 2-3 sets of squats, a set of lunges and a 2-3 sets of stiff legged deadlifts. The butt and legs hold a massive amount of muscle and they are the easiest to pack muscle to.

Now if you really want to do cardio and weight lifting in one fail swoop you can try Sandbag training. It's kinda like circuit training (well actually it is) with a 50-70lb duffel bag of sand. Josh Henkins has a pretty good product and a lot of free videos. All you need is the sandbag and some sand = approx. $100. This is a VERY tough workout and even if you're in shape it'll kick your butt (and the rest of your body.)

For me the key to consistent exercise is variety. Most need to find new routines/methods to keep them engaged and going. Try to switch it up every couple of weeks or sooner and find different ways to challenge yourself. There's some crazy dudes on YouTube - SmittyDesiel, Ross Training, etc.. They all have different ways to strength train offering different workouts and equipment you probably never thought of. Many of the guys are animals too.

You can also watch how the MMA guys train. THey don't push weight (most of them) and yet they stay lean. Take a look at some of their strength/cardio workouts. It'll give you some ideas.

Lastly, whatever program you go with - get your whole body involved - don't focus on the beach muscles. You gotta get the whole body working if you truly want results.

mtbr member
    Zen's advice is right on !! eat anywhere between 2500 -3000 calories and you will see results. Remember to adjust your intake when you start losing and always change up your routine. Changing up your routine well help so your body doesn't adapt to it what you are doing and it will make harder to burn the same amount it once did. A combo of cardio and weight training is the best way to go. I lost 100lbs between April 07 - July 08 and that is what I did. Check out Sylvester Stallone's book SLY MOVES it changed my life. Personally I found the best results when I counted everything I ate. Good luck with your journey

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    diet is very important (most important to weight loss)... start counting those calories with something like fitday.com is a good start... you need to know what you're taking in to get a real gauge on things... although just loosing empty calories can do a lot (aka sodas, chips,rcandy... things that have no nutrition and lots of sugar) figure out your basal metabolic rate or BMR (essentially how fast your body burns calories) then you can calculate how much weight you would like to loose over X time and know how many calories to remove from your diet...

the 2nd most important thing to loosing weight is muscle... weight traning is much more effective at burning fat than cardio... muscle burns more calories "just sitting" then fat does... the more muscle mass you have the more you burn the higher your BMR.

for some good reading take some time over at www.johnstonefitness.com and look at the sticky in the beginner forum

I also highly recommend www.bodyforlife.com it's a good mix of cardio and weight training.

good luck man
    mark... who's about to go clean out the garage and do an upper body workout
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

What worked for me.

I have lost a total of 75 lbs in the past year. I followed a modified version of the slow carb diet I read about on this forum for three months. 30# the first month ,20# the second,15# the third and the rest since by just riding and eating basically any thing I want. I really liked it because I was able to eat large portions of good food so I did not fell like I was starving. The key to the success of the plan is to stick to it faithfully and the results will be there for you.

mtbr member
    As stated above, body composition is 50% fitness and 50% diet. If you focus solely on either one you will get half the results. Focus equally on both to get the best results.
    Retribution Fitness: Strength, Power, and Purpose
    General fitness workouts posted daily.

mtbr member
    I tried the BMR route but found that I got best results from RMR numbers. I wouldn't say it is 50/50 more like 40/40/... 20 being your mind set. Your mind set is a key to loosing weight by controlling it and using it to your advantage will really help

Dirt Deviant
    Back in december, right before x-mas I decided I wanted to make a lifestyle change.
    I used to drink alot of soda, eat candy almost once a day, donuts a few times a week, and had other major sugar intakes.
    What I did was decide that if I wasn't going to ride that day I would eat less calories.....if I was planning on riding I would eat a bit more for breakfast.
    So on a riding day I would eat about 2500-3000 calories max, and would normally ride about 25 miles or 2 hours.
    On a non riding day I would eat between 2000-2500 max.

I completely cut out sugar, soda, candy and started to eat better more whole foods. No Trans fats, saturated oils, you know, chips and junk like that.
    I've had to add 7 new notches to my belt, and have dropped at least 2 pant sizes, and 1 if not 2 shirt sizes.
    I weighed myself at the start of my program and didn't weigh myself at all until the other day. I was suprised to see that I lost over 30lbs since about dec 20th.

I didn't want to get hung up on losing weight and constantly weighing myself, more so making a change in my life, and the types of food I eat.
    When I go out to breakfast is about the only time I use sugar, in my coffee, and some syrup on a waffle or something like that.
    When I'm at home I use Truvia in my coffee, natural sweetener.

I still eat yummy junky foods once in a while, like greasy pizza, and burgers and fries, but in a more sensible manner. Instead of eating 5-8 pieces of pizza I now eat 3-5.
    When I sit down with a bowl of cereal I only fill it once, instead of 2-3 times.

I've stopped counting calories for the least month or two because I have a good sense now of what I should intake.
    On a work day breakfast consists of, 2 pieces of whole wheat toast, with smart balance, raw honey then sprinkled with cinnamon.....and a couple cups of coffee.

I bring to work with me, about a cup a blueberries, an apple and a ham sandwich on whole wheat with spinach instead of lettuce, some sliced bell pepper, low fat provolone cheese, and sometimes some pepperchinis. No condiments.
    For dinner I try to just eat sensible portions of whatever I want....within reason.

I've cut down my "good" beer intake to once a week. On sundays me and the boys from work go to the bar and put back a few pitchers of the good stuff. Whenever else I drink durring the week it is usually a light beer. Bud Light Lime spices it up a bit. 100 cal each beer ain't bad.

Today i did good. Rode about 20 miles, and when all is said and done I prolly ate 2200 cal....and feel fine.
    I know if I add weight training to my life I will drop even faster. I plan to soon.
    I've completely blown my weight loss goal out of the water. My plan was 30lbs by june. As of now I have revised that to 60lbs by june.
    One thing that sux is that I have had to buy all new clothes, and I've needed to completely retune all my bikes suspension setups.............= )

mtbr member

Been a long haul

October of 2006 I was at an all time high of 238, I am 6' and 41 years old, I was on BP and cholesterol meds, docs thought I was diabetic. I decided it was time to change my life. I can ride all day and not lose weight. I was able to lose 15 lbs by October of 07, down to 223 then I got serious. October 07 to May 1, 2008, I dropped 37 lbs down to 186. Over the 08 riding season and holidays I climbed back to 193. January 1, I started my final "cut" down to 178. It has been difficult to drop the last 10 pounds, at 6' tall I dont have much fat left to lose. I am off all meds and healthy as a horse. I've done it all by eating 5 small, balanced meals a day, with no alcohol, no junk food, everything healthy. I also lift 5 times a week and do a minimum of 1 hour of cardio 5 times a week which I try to vary between running, stair climbing, and fast walking with an incline on a treadmill. I too am a big fan of John Stone Fitness. As of today I am 183, five pounds to go to that 60 pound mark.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Weight loss = More calories burned than consumed.

Focus on that and you can't go wrong. Cut out 350 calories a day by spending a half an hour on the bike, or even easier, eat one less piece of pizza with your dinner, and you'll lose a pound every 10 days, without fail. More work or less eating will work faster.

I'm surprised at everyone preaching weight lifting. "5lbs of muscle burns 60 calories a day more." "Muscle burns more than fat", etc. All true, but it's not easy to put on 5lbs of muscle. You'd spend months in the gym trying to do that, lifting 1-2 hours 3 times a week. 30 minutes on the treadmill, or an hour or two out on the trails over those few months will result in a lot more weight loss. At over 200lbs, 30 minutes on the treadmill at a moderate jog (~6mph) will burn over 500 calories. You won't get anywhere near that level of burn by lifting weights for the same amount of time.

Spend the time riding if you can. It's a heck of a lot more fun, you'll lose weight, and become a better and faster rider at the same time. Post in the XC racing subforum about how best to lose weight, and I assure you none of them will mention weight lifting.

ADDam, it sound's like you've got the right idea anyway. Stick with what you're doing for a little while and you'll probably be pleasantly surprise with the results.

SS XC Junkie
    rmccully - you are correct in stating that 5lbs of muscle is very hard to gain. This is true for most. For most it wouldn't take a year but it wouldn't take a month. If I don't work out for months (in some cases years,) I can slap on 5lbs in a month or so BUT I used to be heavy (no pun intended) in to bodybuilding. I get strong fast and thus the muscle mass comes back quickly.

However, most people can't slap on 5lbs of muscle in 3 months not because of their genetics but rather because they don't know how to work out or design a workout program.

Weightlifting is not for everyone so if it's not your cup a tee by all means stay away from it. You do NOT have to lift weights to loose weight.

With that being said, I think if you asked, you'll find a lot of pro mtn bike riders probably do lift weights. I know motocross riders do. I'm reading a mtn bike book right now where the author ran into Brian Lopes in the gym.

While I agree weight lifting is not the end all beat all for weight loss, I believe relying on jogging and/or biking alone for all your body transformation needs is not a very optimal approach for weight loss. It will work but only for so long.

mtbr member

I guess "lift" is the wrong term

I mainly do circuit training. I do three sets with medium weight and do 15-20 reps per set, its all about keeping the HR between 120-140 bpm while lifting to burn calories, gaining muscle is a by product of this. My bodyfat percentage has gone from 35% when I was 238 lbs to 16% at 183 lbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think my posting came across more anti-lifting than I intended. The OP said that he didn't want to gain any more muscle, and wanted to lose fat for the upcoming riding season. I think with those stated goals he should spend most of his effort on cardio, not on lifting.

mtbr member
    When loosing weight you loose muscle in the process so lifting will help maintain muscle loss. You don't have to kill yourself doing it but doing 30 mins a couple times a week will help. In weight loss journey I found I got the best results with a combo of lifting and cardio

mtbr member
    you have to lift weights-muscles burn your calories and the more efficient they are the more you will burn. this will also help you maintain your strength as you will lose strength when you lose weight
    there is a difference between weight loss and fitness. You burn the same amount of calories walking a mile as you do running a mile-it just takes longer.
    Running on a treadmill with alot of weight on your hips is a alot of bone jarring pressure on your joints. Walking may help you for now and you can get your fitness exercise from mountain biking.

The biggest thing that will help you is your diet. Cutting out beer, pasta and bread will help you. I am not saying no carbs but cutting out the foods hi in sugar and high in things like flour will help you. Pasta is almost all flour. Starchy carbs are bad. Oatmeal is great as long as it is just oatmeal not the instant type that has maple and brown sugar in it. Aslo oatmeal is loaded with complex carbs and fiber-that is a great pre-exercise snack as well as a start up. Staving is no fast path to losing weight but wating small meals more freqeuntly will keep you from getting hunger pains. thus you wont binge eat.

mtbr member
    Thank you ALL for many great tips. The past few weeks I feel like I look better, but the scale says I've only lost about 5 pounds . I plan on going on a ~18 mile ride later today, it's supposed to hit 50 degrees!
    Adam Ann Arbor, MI

mtbr member

yikes

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer8055
    I used to be pretty obese and started putting on a lot of weight especially on my thighs and bottom in my late thirties. I started exercising as often as possible and also cut down on a lot of high calorie stuff. Unfortunately I hardly managed to lose much weight at all. I then recently read an article by a lady who claimed that she managed to lose nearly half of her weight using a particular weight loss supplement. I tried it out and it actually worked quite well. Within 4 months I managed to lose about 65 pounds. The results were pretty amazing and I feel so much healthier and energetic now. You can read more about the lady's article at

http://www.obesityzapped.com

I'm going to go ahead and call BS here. I have no knowledge of this product, but this poster has only 3 posts in a year and they are all the exact same post. (just a cut and paste job promoting a website)
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

mtbr member

P90x

In my personal experience some friends and more recently my wife started P90X. My wife didn't have much weight to lose, but my friends did. Both have seen dramatic results so far, and only been on it a month. It's a complete system, and they say if you won't follow the whole thing (nutrition and all) then don't bother with it. I've personally seen the results with this program, so I think I might start it in addition to riding here in the near future.

Here's the website:

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fit...20090314191403

One of the biggest things I noticed personally was that I wasn't recovering properly. Fuel intake the first 30min after ride/workout is as important as the ride/workout. Once I started doing it properly it made a world of difference. I started using Endurox R4 and it worked ok, but didn't sit well with my stomach. Then I tried Hammer Nutrition's recoverite and it's great......it works great and no ill side effects. Once I read their guide to proper fueling and started following it, it made a world of difference in performance and weight management.

Endurance Athlete's Guide to Success PDF: (click to open PDF or right click and save)
    http://www.hammernutrition.com/downl...gn=fuelingbook

Recoverite:
    http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HN...0047&AMI=10140

I have no affiliation with Hammer Nutrition, except that I love their stuff. I tried everything before I found them...and have since turned many riding buddies onto it, all with 100% positive feedback. I have a discount code for 15% off their website...if anyone is interested PM me.

There's my $.02
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast