mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Help me choose fellow Clydes

Ok, so after months of research and demos, I have narrowed my search down to a few bikes in the $2000-$2500 (If I go any higher SWMBO will kill me). I am 6'3 and 270lbs and ride very aggressive on the downhill, but most of the trails around me are single track (I need something that can climb). So I guess I am looking for some input on the following bikes.

2013 Specialized Camber Comp
    2013 Santa Cruz Superlight 29 RXC w/Fox 120mm fork

and for the curve ball

2013 Santa Cruz Heckler RAM w/ Rockshox Revelation

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Quiet Professional
    Out of those 3 I would choose the Heckler. I have a thing for more travel and if you are doing downhill it could help. I have friends out in El Paso that use it so I am sure it pedals well.
    I love my Giant reign and not sure I would give it up for anything but a reign x. Thought about the Heckler, but went with the reign as I prefer how it rode with me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Swmbo? I can't decide between the sj or camber myself

Quiet Professional
    She who must be obeyed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sdm74 View Post
    Swmbo? I can't decide between the sj or camber myself
    She Who Must Be Obeyed aka the wife. She wants me to keep my budget around $2500 or less, all three of those bikes full in that range, side note the Camber Comp is $2399 at LBS.

mtbr member
    I'm also looking at a camber comp and have the choice between a 2012 and 2013. Both are about the same price but the 2012 uses Fox instead of RockShox components. Would you recommend one over the other?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    If you are 270lbs, and ride aggressively, whatever you choose to buy at <$2,500, be sure to start saving up for a replacement rear hub, if not an entirely new wheelset. That's just the reality of being a big guy and riding aggressively. Other than that most bikes that aren't marketed as total XC race or super-lightweight will hold up fairly well so long as you're not careless/reckless.

Finding 'aggressive clyde worthy' wheels on a stock bike usually puts you up quite a ways with the budget, so better to just plan on upgrading on whatever bike you choose at some point.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WasteMindu View Post
    She Who Must Be Obeyed aka the wife. She wants me to keep my budget around $2500 or less, all three of those bikes full in that range, side note the Camber Comp is $2399 at LBS.
    I figured it was wife, lol..
    I'm in same boat ..right in that price range. But thinking of going with sj and there 12 months deal. Seems like a good way to sneak it past SWMBO

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The more I think about it, I really like the bike shop that carries the Santa Cruz, so I guess my choice is 26er or 29er? Also, the Heckler is 650b convertible, so that is nice and by the time I get the cash for that 650b will be readily available.

mtbr member
    I would go with the Heckler.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Just order my xl heckler in gun metal black. Should be here in 2 weeks.