Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Help a giant pick a bike!

Hey guys! I'm trying to get back into riding bikes. I grew up racing bmx and then went to mountain bikes from there. I havent been riding for the past 6 years though and I have put on a few! I'm 6'6" and about 300lbs. I'm a fan of hardtails and the bike will be used for cruising bowls in skate parks and riding the single tracks in the desert near my house. No big air really. Though having a past in bmx and i still ride dirt bikes I have a thing for going faster than my big ass should! So I'm looking to buy a bike. trying to keep it under $1500. My last bike was a GT chucker but i see they no longer make those. But I like that style. Also love the new Kona Shred but im worried about the frame not holding me! I know ill have to do wheels soon but do you guys have any suggestions for me?

Also I'm ok with average large sized frames as long as its strong!!

mtbr member
    Can you push your budget a little

https://www.performancebike.com/bike...400327__400327

Trail ready 29er, stout build including the wheelset.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thats a badass bike! I might push my budget a little but I'd like to see what I can find a little cheaper first. But definitely that style in 26 or 29". Though I always thought the 29er wheels were weaker because they were taller?

Vincit qui patitur
    If I were you. I wouldn't pay over 1000 at this time. I chose something less expensive and just upgraded forks. I had and still have a GT Karakoram. I had a total of about 800 into it.
    I was 265# at the time and it did me well. No real issues with it other than it being heavier than I wanted as time progressed as well as my loss of weight.
    When you finally get to where you want that is when you want to pay for something more. But for now until you know exactly what type of riding you really enjoy stick with something that isn't going to break the bank. You could be like me and decide on the direction you want to go and then spend the money on that after 6 months to a year. This is my opinion on that and only my opinion. Only you can decide what's best for you.
    Just get out and ride and have fun doing it.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    Frames won't likely be an issue. It'll be the wheels and components. Just to be safe, try to get a bike that has a good frame warranty. And no, 29er wheels are not weaker than 26" wheels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
    If I were you. I wouldn't pay over 1000 at this time. I chose something less expensive and just upgraded forks. I had and still have a GT Karakoram. I had a total of about 800 into it.
    I was 265# at the time and it did me well. No real issues with it other than it being heavier than I wanted as time progressed as well as my loss of weight.
    When you finally get to where you want that is when you want to pay for something more. But for now until you know exactly what type of riding you really enjoy stick with something that isn't going to break the bank. You could be like me and decide on the direction you want to go and then spend the money on that after 6 months to a year. This is my opinion on that and only my opinion. Only you can decide what's best for you.
    Just get out and ride and have fun doing it.
    This is another point to think about. Thanks bud!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Ok so now I'm pretty sure I'm leaning to the kona shred. The price tag gives me some room for upgrades. Now I'll need some advice on a rear wheel. I'm thinking a sun ringle mtx 33 rim 36h. But I have no idea what size hub I can run? The bike says it comes with a shimano m475 which I think is quick release. Are all quick release hubs the same size? What size do I get? I would love a Chris king.

mtbr member
    Yeah, quick release is the same unless it specifies...I think there's a 12mm or something like that but I don't think they are all that common. I like a thru axle on the front though. Stiffens things up and I like the CK fun bolts on the rear rather than a QR.

turtles make me hot
    Look at a Surly Krampus. Perfect bike for big guys. Looks like a normal bike under someone 6'6".
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Ok. Bump for one last question. I'm going to be replacing the Shimano m475 quick release hub with a through axle hub (or fun bolts if they're strong enough). Can anyone recommend me a hub and what size I'll need? Also will I be able to reuse the gears on the back for the new hub?

Thanks for all the help. I've been having a blast lurking this forum haha

mtbr member
    Budget? I like Hope and Chris King. I love CK and their fun bolts. Yes, they'd be plenty strong and yes, you can switch the cassette (gears) from one hub to another.

And hubs don't really come in sizes. They are standard. Well, there are a few that are 142mm for frames that are that size, but the vast majority of bike run a 135mm rear and 100mm front. Those are the standards. Your main choice will be how many holes and those have to match the number of holes in the rim. For you...I'd say 36 holes.

As far as through axles...you have to make sure the front fork will except them. Forks are either quick release or through axle. Rear...I don't know of many bikes that take a through axle rear. Any bike should be able to take a fun bolt though. Good thing is...the nicer hubs can be converted from how they connect to the bike for just a little money. My front Hopes can be switched from QR to TA. It is actually set up TA at the moment. I don't have a CK front but they can be switched too. I run my rear CK with fun bolts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Re: Help a giant pick a bike!

I'm 6'7" and 320 and also looking for my first real Mountian Bike.
    After 3 weeks of hitting bike shops and reading through the specs I decided to go with a XL SCOTT Scale 970.

Got lucky and found a 2013 for $750.Was $1,100 only a few months ago. Which was right outside my $500-700 budget.But they are stout bikes with great components.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks for clearing that up for me. Mountain bike hubs kind of confuse me haha. So I can't find much info on if the kona shred has 135mm or 142mm but I'm leaning towards getting a Chris king with fun bolts. Any recommended spokes?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    surprised I haven't heard it yet, but what about a dirtjump bike? Might not suit normal trail demands, but it would bring back some BMX style fun for you in the bowls.

Did you get the Kona already? If so, I'd wait till you mess up the rim before getting a new one. You will be surprised how quickly the weight goes away, and you could end up wanting a different wheelset. I'm 6'5" at 235lbs, and use WTB speeddiscs. So far, they've been great. Heavier than my SR25, but I haven't had a chance to run them on trails yet. Time for trails to dry up.

Looked at the Kona Shred website, and the picture looks like a QR front hub, but the spec sheet say's a 20mm Joytek hub. go for the 20mm if you can get them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigVegas View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up for me. Mountain bike hubs kind of confuse me haha. So I can't find much info on if the kona shred has 135mm or 142mm but I'm leaning towards getting a Chris king with fun bolts. Any recommended spokes?
    DT Alpine, Sapim Strong, or Wheelsmith DH13 with brass nipples will be a very stout setup. I would also recommend you get the steel drive shell on the Kings.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    surprised I haven't heard it yet, but what about a dirtjump bike? Might not suit normal trail demands, but it would bring back some BMX style fun for you in the bowls.

Did you get the Kona already? If so, I'd wait till you mess up the rim before getting a new one. You will be surprised how quickly the weight goes away, and you could end up wanting a different wheelset. I'm 6'5" at 235lbs, and use WTB speeddiscs. So far, they've been great. Heavier than my SR25, but I haven't had a chance to run them on trails yet. Time for trails to dry up.

Looked at the Kona Shred website, and the picture looks like a QR front hub, but the spec sheet say's a 20mm Joytek hub. go for the 20mm if you can get them.
    I haven't bought it yet. I love the dirt jump style but I'm thinking I want some ability to ride a few trails!

mtbr member
    If the frame was 142mm, they'd make it a point to say so. If they don't...it's pretty safe to assume they are 135mm. Even if the frame was 142mm, you can still use 135mm hubs with a conversion.

mtbr member
    Also...just curious why you are going with a 26" bike instead of a 29er?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    wondered that myself. Since going 29er, I've loved biking a lot more. 29er wheels are still pretty strong for trail use, and for tall people, the bike just feels better. No more of that "sitting on top of the world" feeling.

turtles make me hot
    Feels even better on a Krampus... Just sayin'.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Also...just curious why you are going with a 26" bike instead of a 29er?
    Ive never had a 29er but I have had 26" bikes and they just seem like they would be more fun cruising parks and little jumps. But my mind is still open!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    What do y'all think about The diamondback mason? The model one step below the one posted earlier. It's just a little cheaper than the mason comp and seems to have the same wheel set.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm 6'4" 230 and have a freestyle/BMX background and lots of MTBing. Other than the 20" bikes I used to ride I rode an Iron horse for years 26". I looked for a new bike recently and test rode a few 29ers. Now with a background similar to yours, I don't care what people say those wheels are HUGE and a lot harder to get around and have fun with them unless you ride a whole bunch and get used to them. With your background don't get a 29er stick with 26". I bought a SC Bronson C, it has 27.5 wheels and feels a lot like a 26" bike. Got that one because I wanted an all mountain do all bike that'll last me years and I love it. It's a lil bit out of your budget tho. I had a $2k budget when I started looking, then $4,200 over budget later I'm not regretting it, it's my dream bike. I have all the cool components and won't have to upgrade anything for a long time (add up all the money you'd put into a bike over years it adds up to an expensive bike the one you should've started with). Still haven't thrown it around in a park or pool like I used to do with my Ironhorse but I'm sure it'll feel good. That's my $.02.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks for the input! That's kinda why I'm torn. The 26" is going to feel right at home but the 29er might open a new type of trail riding I'll enjoy. Either way I'm sure I'll end up with multiple bikes haha one for trails one for park because after looking it seems tricky to get best of both worlds in a decent affordable bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for the input! That's kinda why I'm torn. The 26" is going to feel right at home but the 29er might open a new type of trail riding I'll enjoy. Either way I'm sure I'll end up with multiple bikes haha one for trails one for park because after looking it seems tricky to get best of both worlds in a decent affordable bike!
    Oh for sure anytime. BTW the reason for going 27.5 was all the talk about 29er's abilities to roll over a lot more than a 26. 27.5 was a happy medium I thought and after a few months of riding I'm sold and haven't found anything I'm not comfortable rolling over. Then again it's easy to toss around and get myself in position and bunny hop a lot. I can get the bike up and over logs pretty easy. Test ride a 27.5 wheeled bike, you might save a few $$$ and just have an all in one like I got. There's plenty of less expensive 27.5s out there, I just always go crazy with my hobbies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast